Fallen Ironworker--Prayer Request!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
BassinBomber
Admiral

Fallen Ironworker--Prayer Request!

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:24 am

Worker killed in accident at Microsoft construction site,..a fellow brother for Local 86 was killed yesterday when a "Boundary Element" weighing 4000 pounds fell on him and crushed him. He was tied off @ the top of the rebar when the structure started to fall over,..couldn't release his lainyard and wallhook in time 2 escape,..I worked for this company for 2 years and my old boss was running the site when this happened,..please take a few seconds for a Prayer for this man's family and friends,..thank you!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Fallen Ironworker--Prayer Request!

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:03 am

Im also a MS sub-contractor and I drive by the site every day. Its a sad thing.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:34 am

I can relate to the family's pain. My father-in-law, a long time iron worker, was killed in a fall in Longview many years ago.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:02 pm

Prayer said.
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your fallen brother. Prayer sent
You guys built America :salut:
Be safe out there brother!

Kevin

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:53 pm

kevinb wrote:Sorry to hear about your fallen brother. Prayer sent
You guys built America :salut:
Be safe out there brother!

Kevin
Yes bro,.."Building-America-1-Bar-At-A-Time",..it's a tough and dangerous profession but I love it dearly,..been at it for 15 plus years and I am fortunate enough 2 only have small aches and pains,..I didn't know my brother personally but I hear he was a very hard worker and true 2 his trade,..I'm sure he will be truly missed,..thanks 2 all for your Prayers!!!!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:12 pm

When I'm at Synagoge this weekend I will have him in my thoughts as well as the rest of you.Yea Yea Yea I pray daily.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:41 pm

BassinBomber wrote:Worker killed in accident at Microsoft construction site,..a fellow brother for Local 86 was killed yesterday when a "Boundary Element" weighing 4000 pounds fell on him and crushed him. He was tied off @ the top of the rebar when the structure started to fall over,..couldn't release his lainyard and wallhook in time 2 escape,..I worked for this company for 2 years and my old boss was running the site when this happened,..please take a few seconds for a Prayer for this man's family and friends,..thank you!

BB
Hi Joe,

Damn lanyards – nothing like the old 18 iron hook on “D” rings. This is the bad side of using the fall protection that is required today. I guess it has saved a few lives over the years but I am from the old school. Who died and who is the foreman from RPM?

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:19 pm

[-o<
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 pm

BB,

Consider it done, and thanks for bringing this to our attention. My thoughts and prayers will be with his family and friends.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 pm

stampie wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:Worker killed in accident at Microsoft construction site,..a fellow brother for Local 86 was killed yesterday when a "Boundary Element" weighing 4000 pounds fell on him and crushed him. He was tied off @ the top of the rebar when the structure started to fall over,..couldn't release his lainyard and wallhook in time 2 escape,..I worked for this company for 2 years and my old boss was running the site when this happened,..please take a few seconds for a Prayer for this man's family and friends,..thank you!

BB
Hi Joe,

Damn lanyards – nothing like the old 18 iron hook on “D” rings. This is the bad side of using the fall protection that is required today. I guess it has saved a few lives over the years but I am from the old school. Who died and who is the foreman from RPM?
Randy B,..don't know his last name,..Aaron Cole was the General Sup for RPM and I had a co-worker Dave Mueller who also witnessed this tragedy,..Dave was up on the element helping 2 set the chokers free,..then climbed down and was headed 2 the PT Deck when the element started 2 fall over very rapidly,..poor kid didn't have any time at all to free himself,..I agree with being from the old school,..I myself have "walked/cooned" allot of beams in my day with no fall protection at all,..but alas,..the times haved changed. Talked with Dave Mueller and he was so shook up from this that he says he might not ever tie rebar again,..sad thing,..form what I understand RPM Steel followed normal procedures when they set the element,..nothing out of the ordinary,..just something that happened,..!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Prayers on the way.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:35 pm

BassinBomber wrote:
stampie wrote:

BB
Hi Joe,

Randy B,..don't know his last name,..Aaron Cole was the General Sup for RPM and I had a co-worker Dave Mueller who also witnessed this tragedy,..Dave was up on the element helping 2 set the chokers free,..then climbed down and was headed 2 the PT Deck when the element started 2 fall over very rapidly,..poor kid didn't have any time at all to free himself,..I agree with being from the old school,..I myself have "walked/cooned" allot of beams in my day with no fall protection at all,..but alas,..the times haved changed. Talked with Dave Mueller and he was so shook up from this that he says he might not ever tie rebar again,..sad thing,..form what I understand RPM Steel followed normal procedures when they set the element,..nothing out of the ordinary,..just something that happened,..!

BB
I wonder who guyed the boundary element before cutting loose. Knowing RPM that would fall under one of their exclusions. I wonder if Turner is somehow responsible?

Thanks for letting me know the names involved.

Anyfish
Petty Officer

Post by Anyfish » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:32 pm

God bless! Lives have changed forever.
84 Bass Tracker 17' V
72 EV Lark 50

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

stampie wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:
stampie wrote:Hi Joe,

BB
I wonder who guyed the boundary element before cutting loose. Knowing RPM that would fall under one of their exclusions. I wonder if Turner is somehow responsible?

Thanks for letting me know the names involved.
The Boundary Element was coupled and I guess that's where it started 2 bend over,..makes sense,..I'm wondering if someone forgot 2 tie the curtains @ 30%,..or if it was just tied @ the templates,..Aaron Cole was thrown under the bus and given this project 2 weeks ago,..before that I'm not sure who was in charge,..what might have happened is the element was stacked while being built,..then the job shut down,..and the element wasn't tied completely,..wasn't finished,..when Aaron got there maybe it looked as though it was completed and they picked it,..flew it,..and set it,..if the templates were tied with double wire saddles then it might have held long enough 2 set,..once the crane was free and the 2x4's were set and the couplers threaded it started 2 bend over at the couplers,..I'm not sure who is @ fault but either way we lost a good man! Thanks 2 all for your Prayers and comments!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:00 am

[-o< Prayer sent
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Prayers be with his family. A man just trying to earn a honest dollar. I've worked with a few Iron Workers in my day....work hard, play hard.

Tragic indeed. [-o<
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Well I found out from a co-worker that was there when it happened that the bracing that the Carpenters set-up failed,..so I'm not sure where that would place the fault,..definately not RPM'S though wich is a great thing cause RPM Steel is a wonderful outfit 2 work for!!!!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 pm

o:) :salut: [-o<
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.