Edmonds Fishing Pier GONE!!!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Edmonds Fishing Pier GONE!!!

Post by anakpinoy4 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:15 pm

I went by the Edmonds fishing pier this evening about 6:45PM (02-12-09) to try out some new gear and do some squid jigging and it was GONE!!! Apparently the pier was removed for environmental reasons. I was pretty bummed... Did anyone else know about this???

I ended up throwing some squid jigs from the Seattle Aquarium pier around 7PM with no luck. Saw 2 other anglers there, but they didn't get anything either. High tide was at 6:45PM.

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

RE:Edmonds Fishing Pier GONE!!!

Post by Bro-Rando » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:36 pm

You are clearly misinformed as to where the Edmonds fishing pier is or else just intentionally trying to alarm people with false information. No reason to be alarmed people, I assure you that the pier is still there. I can guarantee that in 999 of 1,000 cases, with current environmental regulations, that a structure with the recreational importance of the Edmonds fishing pier would never be removed due to environmental concerns. I really don't know where this alleged pier removal is coming from, but the only thing I can think of is creosote soaked piling removal, which, if it were necessary at Edmonds, would see replacement of any removed pilings to maintain the pier.

Again, I was on the thing this weekend. This is a ridiculous claim.
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:12 am

Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

polywave
Angler

Post by polywave » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:31 am

Obviously a different Edmonds' pier.

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:27 am

Well there you go...

"Washington State Ferries are paying to remove the creosote-treated pier as part of early environmental mitigation for future improvements to Edmonds' ferry terminal, according to WSF spokesperson Joy Goldenberg."
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Post by anakpinoy4 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:11 am

Bro-Rando wrote:You are clearly misinformed as to where the Edmonds fishing pier is or else just intentionally trying to alarm people with false information. No reason to be alarmed people, I assure you that the pier is still there. I can guarantee that in 999 of 1,000 cases, with current environmental regulations, that a structure with the recreational importance of the Edmonds fishing pier would never be removed due to environmental concerns. I really don't know where this alleged pier removal is coming from, but the only thing I can think of is creosote soaked piling removal, which, if it were necessary at Edmonds, would see replacement of any removed pilings to maintain the pier.

Again, I was on the thing this weekend. This is a ridiculous claim.
Bro... You think I'd lie about it? I would never try to stir up some controversy with you guys about a missing pier and an esteemed fishing spot. I went there last night to try out some new stuff and it was gone! I picked up a flier on the removal of the Unocal Pier off of Marina Beach Park in Edmonds by the Washington State Department of Transportation. You were right about 1 thing though and it was because of the creosote soaked pilings, but I don't think they plan on puting another pier back in. Maybe we are thinking about a differnet pier, but I really doubt it. The pier I'm talking about that has begun being dissassembled since November 2008 is just 3/4 of a mile south of the Kingston/Edmonds Ferry dock.

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:18 am

There are two different piers in the Edmonds area. One is the old oil dock and the other is the fishing pier. I think anakpinoy4 is talking about the oil pier not the fishing pier. They are removing the old oil pier but not the fishing pier. Here is a map that points out the location of the two piers. Hope this helps out.

anakpinoy4
Petty Officer

Post by anakpinoy4 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Oh got cha. That actually helps out a lot. The WDFW website points out the Edmonds Fishing Pieras the one I was referring to. Just click the link to see the map. It doesn't say anything about the pier Adam B was referring to. I didn't even know you could fish that one. No hard feeling to anyone out there, but I was just point out that the DOT was removing a pier in Edmonds. Sorry for any confusion.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:39 am

I don't think you could even fish off of the oil dock - it was taken out for the reasons listed earlier and to prepare that area for the possible eventual moving of the ferry terminal ---- which would be an insane undertaking in itself.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:36 am

THE MAIN FISHING GOOF PIER:colors: IS THERE NEXT TO THE MARINA AND WILL NEVER MOVE! PERIOD :bounce:
THE ONE REMOVED WAS WAY SOUTH OF THE MARINA AND WAS OWNED BY THE OIL DOCKS#-o :-({|= Look Up Herb:colors: #-o before you post this stuff it is closer to the finish line then the Post!!!
Your Pier is right smack there and waiting for another load of Fishing I mean standing events!
In fact the Edmonds Pier is part of the entire Marina/ Boats, massive tubs and part of the whole Marina and Buffer from protection and weather:compress: :colors:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:06 am

So how does one fish off the edmonds pier and what kind of fish are typically caught?

Its been a long while since I was at the pier, but as I remember it is a decent ways up off the water, so isn't getting the fish landed a problem?
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 am

Colds, beer bottles, Tires on a incoming tide and for every jigger lets say 200 or more you may hook a King, Coho, soul, crab but you have a far greater chance of winning the Lottery or Lightning strikes:cheers: :colors:

OH YOU COULD FIND FISHINGBOY before a fish #-o :-" :-({|= Check his back pocket for a active Hall Pass:cheers: :eye:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 pm

Natenez... theres another thread here on what can be caught off the Edmonds pier outside of beer bottles, colcs, tires, and branches, and birds.

Nets on Long ropes. Popnets, or training the fish to jump over the railing.

While most people will spend more time catching tires (north half of the pier) there are at least 3 people or more that on an average year (last year doesn't count) that will hook into 15 to 30 legal sized Kings. Wish I was one of them but I haven't committed the time to that and have been happy catching two or three a year (last year doesn't count - 2 and one was close to 30 so I was really happy about that...)

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:43 pm

When the kings are running get to the pier at O dark thirty and try to get within 100' of the south end (left end) and stake out your turf. Most fish are hooked to the left. Don't let the local pier rats try to force you the right. They come down and just keep crowding in until most give up and move. If they crowd up under my left arm pit I tell them that "If they hit me with their rod or hook me with a jig, you're going swimming". If they crowd up my right arm pit I tell them "I didn't put on deodorent and so I smell, so move at least 4' away". I'm a big guy, getting old, but they get the message.
Life's short - fish hard!