Camping and Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Camping and Fishing

Post by kevinb » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:13 pm

sickbayer wrote:i love lake cushman going again in july.
I'll see you there:cheers:

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:04 am

jsmith78 wrote:Anybody been to Steamboat Rock SP or Sun Lakes SP? How was it? My favorite camp food is a good BBQ steak, corn on the cob and bushes baked beans, or a chili cooked over the fire.
I've been to both of them. They are great places for fishing, but keep an eye out for rattlesnakes.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:54 am

jsmith78 wrote:
Anybody been to Steamboat Rock SP or Sun Lakes SP? How was it? My favorite camp food is a good BBQ steak, corn on the cob and bushes baked beans, or a chili cooked over the fire.
I lived in this area most of my life and raised my children here.
Steam boat rock and Sun lakes state parks are two of the nicest state parks in the state. If you plan on camping at either this next summer, make sure you get your reservations in now because they fill up very fast if they haven't already.

Sun Lakes state park info:
Sun Lakes-Dry Falls State Park is a 4,027-acre camping park with 73,640 feet of freshwater shoreline at the foot of Dry Falls. Dry Falls is one of the great geological wonders of North America. Carved by Ice Age floods that long ago disappeared, the former waterfall is now a stark cliff, 400 feet high and 3.5 miles wide. In its heyday, the waterfall was four times the size of Niagara Falls. Today it overlooks a desert oasis filled with lakes and abundant wildlife. There is a park store and laundromat, boat rentals, propane, fire wood, a commisary and a pay phone. Most other services are available within a few miles of the park.
There is several lakes in the Sun Lakes chain that include:
Lake Lenore for Lahontan cutthroat trout up to 10 pounds.
Blue Lake for 10- to 11-inch rainbow trout, with occasional carry-overs of 15 to 19 inches.
Park Lake for 10- to 11-inch rainbow trout, with occasional carry-overs of 15 to 19 inches.
Deep Lake for 11- to 12 -inch rainbow trout, with lots of carry-overs of 17 to 24 inches.

Steam Boat rock state park info:
Steamboat Rock State Park is a 3,522-acre camping park with 50,000 feet of freshwater shoreline at the north end of Banks Lake. Dominating the landscape is a columnar, basaltic rock with a surface area of 600 acres. Two campground areas and a large day-use area are on sweeping green lawns, protected from winds by tall dramatic poplars. The surrounding areas are carpeted with wildflowers, adding to the gray-green brush of the Scablands. A sandy swimming area and boat launches make the area a favorite for visitors who enjoy water-play and want respite from the hot, summer sun.

If you will be camping with family you will also want to spend one evening at the Grand Coulee Dam watching the Laser Light show and It's Free.
If you need to take a break from boating, fishing, camping, go early and take the dam tour. It's very interesting and the ride down the face of the dam in a glass elevator is absolutly breath taking.

On a side note: There is also a nice campground available in Electric City it's called Coulee playland.
It's on Banks Lake
Coulee Playland info:
Camping Along Banks Lake.
65 Sites; Full Hook-ups with 20/30 Amp Service,
Grassy Tent Sites, Restrooms with Showers, Coin
Laundry, Moorage & Free Guest Boat Launch.
Campsites: $28 to $34 YURT: $89 Reservations Recommended, but not Required.
See Photo Below:

Banks Lake info:
This is the best Walleye water in the region. Kokanee, Rainbow trout running to 5 pounds. Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass to 4 pounds, Yellow perch, Whitefish & Crappie are all available in Banks Lake.
Attachments
docklake11b.jpg
docklake11b.jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:14 am

Bump
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Big D

jsmith78
Petty Officer

Post by jsmith78 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:16 am

Thanks Big D, I know there are rattlesnakes over there, Is it common to see them in the campground area?

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:37 am

jsmith78 wrote:
Thanks Big D, I know there are rattlesnakes over there, Is it common to see them in the campground area?
Hey jsmith78,
Rattle Snakes are not that common in the campground areas and I would not worry too much about them. Ticks would be of more concern too me than Rattle Snakes if myself or my dog had been walking in the scrub. Rattle Snakes tend to stay mostly in the areas that transition from green or wet grass to the scrub. If you go looking for them you will find them. They travel back and forth from the cool to warm areas to regulate their body temperature.
Always remember They are more afraid of you than you are of them and in the heat of mid summer they tend to stay out of site under the rocks and scrub.
I would only worry while walking/hiking the scrub if I had small children or dogs that wouldn’t know what to do when they heard the very distinctive rattle. As I stated in my last post, I have lived in this area most of my 50 years and I have never heard of anyone being bitten that did not provoke or try to handle the snake. The snake will always try to get away and will only strike in self defense as a last resort. The park staff and Rangers will immediately remove any snake that is reported. There is lots of other wildlife in this area. Bald Eagles can be seen most of the day. Bring your high powered flashlight. I have seen literally 100’s of Mule deer feeding on the grass in the campgrounds just after dark among the campers and most people don’t even realize that they are there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big D

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:07 pm

hike to lake serene off of highway 2, exit right by money creek campground. Crystal clear lake with some nice alpine trout in there. If you can lug it, bring your inflatable to fish from, otherwise you can catch some from the shore. I hooked two in about 40 minutes on a fly rod. It was a quick hike, and a beautiful glorious lake.
Clam Man

"____________"

GoingtoFish
Warrant Officer

Post by GoingtoFish » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Baker Lake is nice too. Just be sure to bring the bug spray. We will camp and the far end of the last. Take the gravel road as far as you can go. There are places along the road that you can camp for free. But if you would rather not have to use a bush keep going to the end and camp at Baker Lake State park. It has just the bare essentials. There are water spickets but no running water at the sites and the toilets are basically 4 star outhouses. :)
But I don't go there for the creature comforts. I go for the plentiful Kokenee and fat Rainbows! If you can bring the BBQ with you on the boat while trolling then when it comes time for lunch find a spot of beach on the opposite side of the lake to set up the BBQ and have yourself one of the best tasting trout lunches you could imagine. Kick back and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Oh don’t forget the bug spray if your there July/August. And no small children during these months, the bugs tend to carry them off to feed to their larva.

Tight Lines!

kcc
Warrant Officer

Post by kcc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 am

Memorial Day weekend I always took the kids to Alta Lake in E. Washington. Been going there now about 21 years. The lake always produced for my kids, there is nothing like a bored kid fishing, and the weather is usually pretty nice. This lake has gone down in the last couple of years as far as producing any monsters, but you are still guarenteed to bring home fish. We have made alot of friends over there and still see the same faces each year. It's like ole home week. The Methow and the Columbia are right down the hill if you want to try something other than lake fishing. Great place.... The rest of the summer we always headed to Potlatch SP on Hood canal, crabbing, fishing the canal, going to Lake Cushman for lake fishing, going to Staircase, always alot to do there.:cat:

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 pm

jsmith78 wrote:Anybody been to Steamboat Rock SP or Sun Lakes SP? How was it? My favorite camp food is a good BBQ steak, corn on the cob and bushes baked beans, or a chili cooked over the fire.
I would go to Sun Lakes...Love that spot...Lot's to do and places to go. Steamboat is also a nice spot, but I gotta go with Sun Lakes. Each time we go there we stay at least a week. You'll have a great time wherever you decide to go.... Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:22 pm

Deception Pass State Park has alwayse been one of my favorite places to camp. I got my 4th of July reservations scheduled the day after the 9 month registration window opened.
Attachments
HPIM2149_resize.jpg
HPIM2149_resize.jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
HPIM2140_resize.jpg
HPIM2140_resize.jpg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
HPIM2082_resize.jpg
HPIM2082_resize.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
HPIM2051_resize.jpg
HPIM2051_resize.jpg (41.8 KiB) Viewed 1814 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsmith78
Petty Officer

Post by jsmith78 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:40 am

RaMcVey have you ever fished from the lake there at Deception Pass S.P.? Deception Pass is up there on places to camp at.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 am

clam man wrote:hike to lake serene off of highway 2, exit right by money creek campground. Crystal clear lake with some nice alpine trout in there. If you can lug it, bring your inflatable to fish from, otherwise you can catch some from the shore. I hooked two in about 40 minutes on a fly rod. It was a quick hike, and a beautiful glorious lake.
Yeah straight up! What is it? 1000' elevation gain in 1/2 mile? Not a hike for the timid. Unless the the trail has been redone, it's pulling yourself up by the tree roots half the way. Beautiful lake when it's not covered in snow and ice. The view from the top of bridal veil falls is huge. Alpine lakes tiny trout, fun to fish the log jam. Not a place to take the family camping.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:35 am

jsmith78 wrote:RaMcVey have you ever fished from the lake there at Deception Pass S.P.? Deception Pass is up there on places to camp at.
Ive fished Cranberry Lake there in the park and in the surf. Ive caught Bass and Trout there, if I recall my wife caught a lil sun fish (perch) nothing trophy sized. We have caught alot crawfish there too. This summer we wre heading to the north side of the pass and fishing the piers there in Bowman Bay.
Attachments
HPIM2050_resize.JPG
HPIM2050_resize.JPG (44.42 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
HPIM2048_resize.JPG
HPIM2048_resize.JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 am

Bodo,

"Yeah straight up! What is it? 1000' elevation gain in 1/2 mile? Not a hike for the timid. Unless the trail has been redone, it's pulling yourself up by the tree roots half the way. Beautiful lake when it's not covered in snow and ice. The view from the top of bridal veil falls is huge. Alpine lakes tiny trout, fun to fish the log jam. Not a place to take the family camping."

1000 feet in half a mile? Not even close. It is a nice hike, not like MT SI, or anything near as long. Does take a little climbing though, and it is over quicker than you would guess. Maybe 40 minutes for someone in decent shape. (I am no mountain climber..)

There are some great campsites a little further up the trail, and this is one I am going to camp this summer. The trail was very nice last year, lots of stairs and boardwalks on areas that were damp or steeper. The trout are smaller than in lower lakes, but I had a bite on a nice 16" trout that I couldn't land because I didn't know what I was doing with my fly rod.

I still recommend for those with some hiking time...But for driving trips, and if you have a boat, you can't beat steamboat rock, and coulee play land. I go every year and catch dozens of bass, many over 2lbs to 3lbs, smallies and large. I love that place.
Attachments
big_large.JPG
big_large.JPG (48.82 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
2007_0610finepix0127.JPG
2007_0610finepix0127.JPG (58.31 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Clam Man

"____________"

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:27 pm

There are a few places I like to camp and fish.

The first is Banks Lake. There is a nice camping spot right off the airport so you can just park you plane right next to your camping spot. And since you can only use the spot if you have flown in, it is very quiet there. Plus there is a car to use to go to town if needed or want to see the light show at the dam.

The second is Stuart Island. Again, you can fly in and use the WPA cabin which is hardly used. It is nice and quiet there and the fishing was good. We went last year on the 4th of July weekend and went crabbing in the little bay near the cabin. Lots a big crab there! Also went fishing for a while waiting for the pots to soak and ened up with a few rockfish and a nice size lingcod that lived to see another day. We were also able to see the fireworks from Roche Harbor from the south side of the island.

And lastly, Sullivan Lake. Again a place you can fly to and camp. They also have nicer camping spots through out the campgrounds. The lake is a nice lake also. Some nice fish in there. It has been a while since I have been there, but looking to go back soon.

When I do go camping with the plane, I bring my boat with me also. Depending on the location and where I will try to fish, I either bring the electric or 6hp gas motor with me. The rest of the plane is filled with camping and fishing gear.
Attachments
Stuart_Island_3.jpg
Stuart_Island_3.jpg (189.43 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Stuart_Island_5.jpg
Stuart_Island_5.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Grand_Coulee.jpg
Grand_Coulee.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:09 pm

clam man wrote:Bodo,

"Yeah straight up! What is it? 1000' elevation gain in 1/2 mile? Not a hike for the timid. Unless the trail has been redone, it's pulling yourself up by the tree roots half the way. Beautiful lake when it's not covered in snow and ice. The view from the top of bridal veil falls is huge. Alpine lakes tiny trout, fun to fish the log jam. Not a place to take the family camping."

1000 feet in half a mile? Not even close. It is a nice hike, not like MT SI, or anything near as long. Does take a little climbing though, and it is over quicker than you would guess. Maybe 40 minutes for someone in decent shape. (I am no mountain climber..)

There are some great campsites a little further up the trail, and this is one I am going to camp this summer. The trail was very nice last year, lots of stairs and boardwalks on areas that were damp or steeper. The trout are smaller than in lower lakes, but I had a bite on a nice 16" trout that I couldn't land because I didn't know what I was doing with my fly rod.

I still recommend for those with some hiking time...But for driving trips, and if you have a boat, you can't beat steamboat rock, and coulee play land. I go every year and catch dozens of bass, many over 2lbs to 3lbs, smallies and large. I love that place.
Sounds like a new trail has been made. The last time I was up, the trail went up next to Bridal Veil Falls. Been at least five since I've been up up there. It used to be a very exclusive club that made up for a day hike, let alone camping. When I was a kid we used to make the hike 8 times each summer. My mom was the nurse at the summer camp in gold bar and a hike was planned for each camp session. It's a wonderful place, kind of like sitting in a giant hand on the side of the mountain.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Bodo,

maybe me sitting at my desk has me underestimating the hike now! It is great up there at the top of the falls...you can see for miles. It is surely worth the walk.
Clam Man

"____________"

Iwantfish
Angler

Post by Iwantfish » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Bodofish wrote:
clam man wrote:Bodo,

Sounds like a new trail has been made. The last time I was up, the trail went up next to Bridal Veil Falls. Been at least five since I've been up up there. It used to be a very exclusive club that made up for a day hike, let alone camping. When I was a kid we used to make the hike 8 times each summer. My mom was the nurse at the summer camp in gold bar and a hike was planned for each camp session. It's a wonderful place, kind of like sitting in a giant hand on the side of the mountain.
Looks like there is a new trail (new being a relative term considering this article is 8 yrs old) :)

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/ ... ek02.shtml