FISH FINDER

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
sickbayer
Commodore

FISH FINDER

Post by sickbayer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:01 pm

does anyone have this

Lowrance LCX-28C HD 7" Screen Color GPS and 200 kHz Sonar

Im thinking of upgrading my Lowrance x 125
Seems a real good deal. I was going for the new High Def but the jump in tech doesnt seem that great plus an extra 2inchs allows greater viewing. Bloody hell im talking myself into this....
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:FISH FINDER

Post by Bodofish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Well? isn't that how we do it? Talk ourselves into all the things we "need". It always works for me.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 pm

I love my Lowrance 527C DFI and it's only a 5" screen. Just be sure to get a dual frequency unit, you'll want that wider beam and penetrating power that the lower frequency provides especially if you are going to be fishing deeper water or using downriggers.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:21 pm

How does duel frequency help if using downriggers. Right now i know when im picking up my riggers as i see a straight line of fish. 5 inch is a good size except when im at the back of the boat. I figured 7 would work a charm..

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Fusion for the beat

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Sure does! and the 200khz is good to 500 feet or better. I normally don't fish deeper than that but it's fun to see how far it will go so I'm not really sure why I needed to get the dual fequency. Wider cone and much grainier picture. It will shoot through turbulent water or dirty water better but then do I fish there? not usually.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Anyfish
Petty Officer

Post by Anyfish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Oh hell, it's V day, you owe it to your self. Since V Day falls on a 3 dayer, you have all weekend to buy yourself personal gifts you wish you had received! :money:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84 Bass Tracker 17' V
72 EV Lark 50

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:33 pm

The lower frequency has a wider beam and will pick up both weights at most any depth. Also, if your mooching you will be able to see exactly where you rig is, which is quite cool. Also, turn off your fish ID, you should be looking at the raw signals and getting familiar with the way your fish finder display fish, bait and structure. The downrigger ball will just become a straight line across the screen and a fish will show up as an arch. You 'll also be better able to find the thermocline with out the fish ID on, see Marc's article The Thermocline's Effect on Fishing for pointers and pics.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:35 pm

sickbayer wrote:How does duel frequency help if using downriggers. Right now i know when im picking up my riggers as i see a straight line of fish. 5 inch is a good size except when im at the back of the boat. I figured 7 would work a charm..
We'll set it to Raw data tomorrow. Much better info!!!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:40 am

If were just talking Fish and depth only the (Garmin 400 with a P66 transducer):cheers: and this is the one biggest anglers mistake not putting a fish and depth finder in the bang zone off the (rear Transom) fishing work bench area:bounce: if the tub is over 19ft!#-o
Having the big Raymarine systems and 12 inch screens off the helm GPS and more is correct but leaving the rear deck bare is lean on mean and puts the angler Yelling back and forth what is the depth, marking any fish ??
When the down riggers are right in the bang zone of Killing!
REAR deck fish finders on any fishing tub!:chef:
Attachments
aaaaa191919.jpg
aaaaa191919.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
aaaa16161.jpg
aaaa16161.jpg (69.31 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
aaaa1717.jpg
aaaa1717.jpg (102.62 KiB) Viewed 1854 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I find it hard to believe that the Sewde needs a fishfinder.Dude you are da man in finding fish.A depth finder maybe but you dont need a fishfinder.You are one.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 pm

RaceFish= I need the Fish finders/bait finders trust me#-o :cyclopsan
Mothernature can be real cruel but the location of all the Gear down to the Scent is key for fish Wars.
This summer early Kings will be searching and and calling you all local stuff and truth the catch and release early is the best and the Experts are calling for Awesome survival rates in the open ocean on returning Coho, Kings and Dinks I mean Pinks:colors: :cheers:

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:20 pm

I have the non-Hard Drive version of that Lowrance fishfinder.

What I'd like (if I had a re-do) on the buy is I'd get one of the latest High Definition Lowrances that take the latest HD map chips. The new ones are also supposed to filter out noise better to show more fish returns.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:55 am

been outta town so its a late reply.... Id love to have a rear FF but it would be awkard to mount Ive a raised deck so it would have to go under the roof with a fold away bracket so you didnt hit your head....
Bill ive thought about the high def units cant afford one in the 7inch screen that i like to have...Cablas had 1 reveiw for the HDS 5 and the guy didnt think it was worth the extra....

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Fusion for the beat

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:29 pm

I couldnt decide so i went ahead and just bought the LCX28c off ebay 850bucks with free shipping.... Auburn marine has them for that price but with tax ebay seemed the best deal.... ill let you guys know how it goes.....installation and operations....

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Fusion for the beat

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:18 am

swedefish4life1 wrote:If were just talking Fish and depth only the (Garmin 400 with a P66 transducer):cheers: and this is the one biggest anglers mistake not putting a fish and depth finder in the bang zone off the (rear Transom) fishing work bench area
Nice choice Swede, I've got the 400's predecessor, the 320c, on my boat and really like it. When it comes to sonar, I don't like sharing it with GPS mapping, so I have a separate unit (Eagle 500C) that I use exclusively for mapping features.

I don't do much downrigger work, but have often wished I had a second sonar up front when I'm running the bow mount. Maybe on our next boat. :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount