night fishing on the ice???

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishaholictaz
Admiral

night fishing on the ice???

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:16 pm

I was thinking since you can fish here 24/7 I might go hit the ice after work tomorrow any body ever caught trout on the ice at night????

thanks
BBT
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Rozman
Petty Officer

RE:night fishing on the ice???

Post by Rozman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:48 pm

You would be suprised what bites after dark!!:cheers:
Fish and men are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouth!!

Basshunter048
Petty Officer

Post by Basshunter048 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:29 pm

I ice fish after dark here in the Rathdrum area alot. Never caught a trout but have caught a lot of kokanne and also crappie and perch. Gets really spooky if all you have is a lantern and there's no street lights where ya parked. LOL

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:40 pm

I won't have to worry about light it is wide open prarie with snow cover just like an overcast day on the west side :-" :cheers:

:bounce: I can't wait :bounce:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Photo bucket

Rozman
Petty Officer

Post by Rozman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Good luck bigbass, let us know how you did!!:-"
Fish and men are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouth!!

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Yes, let us know.

I have fished at night through the ice and found that the fish tend to taper off as the sun drops over the horizon.

But ............. if I went in a tent or ice house, with a lantern that shown light down the hole, the fishing was often even better.

I have caught a lot of trout, bass, perch, and crappie through the ice at night when in the ice house.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Bigbasstaz, I don't know but maybe you or others reading this might remember fishing or reading about the night fishing through the ice at Williams Lk in Stevens Co north of Colville. That was the best time to catch the trout out of there. Often the drive took longer then to catch a limit of trout (even when the limit was eight) at Williams. It has been my expieince as long as the O2 level is high and you got a light shinnig the water your chances are pretty good you will catch trout at night through the ice. Small glow jigs or glow hooks like for Koks tipped with maggets or mealworms seems to work best for me. Good Luck!
Well its not called Catching!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:47 pm

I didn't make it night fishing but I have hit the ice a few times the other morning I got 11 in 3 hours:cheers: But mostly they have been SLOW:-&
Photo bucket

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm

i have caught many fish thru the ice at night it seems that for the first 2 hours after dark nothing then they really are drawn to the light if you can put a glow stick at the level you are fishing it is even better i have dont this many times in colorado. good luck and let us know what happened.