Crab Creek

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
borg2752
Angler

Crab Creek

Post by borg2752 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Does anyone have info on Crab Creek in Lincoln County north of Sprague Lake? Heard some about it and want to see for myself. I understand it's the longest creek in the nation at some 350 Miles. So where to fish, what to use, what success, etc?

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Crab Creek

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:38 am

Come to the "Great Western Sportfishing Show" March 6 7 & 8. I believe there will be an outfit there called Crab Creek Outfitters. They will surely be able to answer all your questions. Then come by our booth and say HI. HERE is the link to the info on the show.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 pm

borg2752 wrote:Does anyone have info on Crab Creek in Lincoln County north of Sprague Lake? Heard some about it and want to see for myself. I understand it's the longest creek in the nation at some 350 Miles. So where to fish, what to use, what success, etc?
If you don't mind paying to access private land, Joe is absolutely right. In fact, I have considered doing just that, but I want to split the cost with someone.

There are public access locations on Crab, and while they are not as good as the private, they can be good. Try to locate a Fish & Wildlife office and drop in and ask for the paperwork on that area.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:35 pm

I fish Crab Creek a lot during the winter (when the ticks and snakes are asleep!!). I find the best "public" access is at the bridge on Harrington/Tokio Road. The other good access is on Rocky Ford Road.

Both of these are easily accessed from Interstate 90 at the Tokio exit (first exit West of Sprague Lake).

I find that if you walk a mile or so up or down from these bridges the fishing gets pretty good. I have walked in over 2 miles at the Harrington/Tokio bridge and done very well. Most of the fish are rainbows with the occasional tiger trout and brown. Sizes vary from 6" up to around 18/20" on a rare occasion. Small BWO's work well as do small pheasant tail's and Teeney nymphs. Copper Johns have worked well in the past as well.

I was out there about a week ago and did pretty well. We fished for about 2 hours and caught between 15 and 20 fish with the sizes ranging between 8 and 12".

Good luck!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:36 am

Get a 1 or 2 day backpack, lots of water, juice and goodies with protein:chef:
Make a time and pick up area Crabby Creek has lots of sporting fun in her and you can get very remote and lots of stuff that is open if you work at it and earn it.
At times bring the Bow:colors: and line:bom: Carp as big as Garbage can lids and up and plenty of trout left as well .
Attachments
BBBBBTTTUUUUUUUU.jpg
BBBBBTTTUUUUUUUU.jpg (97.95 KiB) Viewed 3420 times
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIY.jpg
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBIIIIIY.jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 3421 times

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Rooscooter wrote:I fish Crab Creek a lot during the winter (when the ticks and snakes are asleep!!)..........
Good point about the ticks and snakes. I have only been struck once in Washington by a snake, fortunately my 5mm neoprene waders stopped it. It was so hot I was about to take off the waders, but after that, I left them on and lost 20 pounds due to dehydration. :-"

I do believe that if we stay to fishing Crab during the late fall through late Spring (check current regulations) that we will do less damage to the fish. In the summer the water gets pretty low, and pretty warm, and finding fish can be hard, and catching them is hard on them.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:51 pm

I have always wanted to fish Crab but I have been told that creek and its high water mark are owned/restricred ect by the land owner and acsess was only on public grounds. Does anyone know if this is true. And does Crab start basically in Rearden?
Well its not called Catching!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:48 am

Are there any really nice Spring Creeks that are good this time of the year? Crab creek a few years ago was the first place I went Fly Fishing and caught a bunch of trout 5-13 inches. It got me hooked but haven't been out much since. Going to do a lot more, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:43 pm

eustace wrote:I have always wanted to fish Crab but I have been told that creek and its high water mark are owned/restricred ect by the land owner and acsess was only on public grounds. Does anyone know if this is true. And does Crab start basically in Rearden?
My understand is Yes, and yes.

I have been told only two streams are deemed as private in the State of Washington, part of the Little Spokane River and Crab Creek. You can not float either, you cannot cross into private land either in the water or below the high water mark. Now, I have only been told this, but I prefer to not take a chance.

I believe you are correct that Crab starts near Rearden, but I don't think fishing, even on private land, starts for some miles below that.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:23 am

I've never seen so many rattlesnakes anywhere as at Crab Creek. In the spring any sunny spot is crawling with them. Definitely carry a big wading stick to beat the snakes back. A lot of times I carry a 22 pistol loaded with bird shot to "discourage" the most agressive ones. You can often hear them so don't go cranking up the tunes on your I-pod! As soon as it warms up the ticks come out in force. Don't bring your dog along as neither you or the dog will enjoy the tick picking process. There are a lot of trout there and some big ones. Its a combination of snakes, ticks, and private property that keep the fishermen away.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's short - fish hard!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Wolverine is dead on with this one =RATTLERS IN BUNCHES AND I
shot each and everyone I could with the 357 spray and pay:cheers:

Ticks forget about it had 2 Brittneys and 1 lab covered in ticks and they shared with me that night:colors: #-o
Big John the Cutterman used a mini flame thrower#-o and needle nose on my back and neck:clown:
Best Tick and snake hunting area:clown: once the sun shows herself maybe in the State

Very good bows in restricted private areas as well but wear high tops and run! lol:colors: :clown:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Agreed! lot's of snakes at Crab Creek.

I grew up in southern Idaho fishing the S. Fork of the Boise and the Owyhee in the high desert of extreme SW Idaho/Nevada/Oregon and those two areas take a close second to Crab Creek in my experience.

I remember on time I was up to my waist in fairly fast moving water on the South Fork of the Boise when I saw a 3' rattler in the water swimming across the river just upstream from me. Even with the waist deep water, waders and rod in my hand I set a new record for the 40 yard dash as he came by me less than 10' away.

Tight Lines!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:23 pm

ok, heres a question i have, isnt the upper part of crab creek too skinny and small to float very effectively. and also, what can all be caught in the lower part of crab creek?

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:26 pm

The Lower is a pretty general term but when its warm the lower end is stuffed full of Carp#-o :eye:

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”