Trout identification

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natenez
Warrant Officer

Trout identification

Post by natenez » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 pm

Last Dec I caught a trout in the Snoqualmie river, but I'm not sure what species. Judging from some id guides I think it is a coastal cutthroat.

What do you think?
Attachments
SnoqualmieTrout.JPG
SnoqualmieTrout.JPG (270.3 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Trout identification

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Dolly/Bull
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Thats a Dolly Varden
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Being that you caught it north of the Puyallup river system, it's a Dolly. Puyallup and south they are classed as bull trout.

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:47 pm

The state manages bull trout and Dolly Varden as the same species . There is no way to differentiate them by just looking at them. As an FYI, the genetic analyses that have been done so far on the bull trout/Dolly Varden in the anadromous zones of Puget Sound, indicate that the fish are bull trout. Not many analyses have been done on char above natural barriers, but the results indicated that some are Dolly Varden.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:00 pm

All in the char= family and they finally put them with trout which they are not!:-$ smolt and egg eating @#$^#$%&^&&& Dolly /Bull trout goofs and can get to 8 or 9 lbs in the upper Skagit / before the heros stepped in we clubbed them to death:cheers: to protect wild steelhead and salmon now there a Prize Slimer! LOL:colors:

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

never caught a Dolly want to though
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:17 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:Being that you caught it north of the Puyallup river system, it's a Dolly. Puyallup and south they are classed as bull trout.
Puyallup and below they are federally protected. Above the Puyallup some rivers have open seasons on them.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Ditch fishing in AK with a 5wt.............
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

natenez
Warrant Officer

Post by natenez » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 am

Cool. Thanks for the good info.
Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

geljockey
Petty Officer

Post by geljockey » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:01 pm

They are an awsome fish. Many years ago I caught a couple out of Baker Lake (17" and 24") and to this day I can still vividly recall how they looked -- olive body with brite white spots all over. I had brought a camera with me but left it in the truck. Maybe that's why I caught them.

They are actually federally protected within all of Washington, but there are some places where there are healthy enough populations to allow fishing.

Thanks for sharing your pic with us!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:29 pm

You ever have one of those moments where you realize you knew the answer all along but just didn't make the connection? #-o I just took me until now to figure out that I released one of those critters in Elliot bay last season right off Alki Point. I'd caught a few in the past while steelheading but for some reason I just didn't make the connection until I saw that pic.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:41 am

I never knew what a dolly looked like in reality but now I could of swear that I caught one of these in Lake Washington. I couldn't identify it at the time and it looked funky so I released it without taking a picture. I used power eggs for fun and I said to myself, wild trout don't eat powereggs and all of a sudden my pole started moving. The only thing I could think of at the moment was some kind of northern pike minnnow/trout. That picture reminded me because of the big head and lip to body ratio.

Without pictures I can't prove it but I am pretty sure I caught one in Lake Washington.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:17 pm

One way to readily identify a dolly/char from trout or salmon, is that the dolly/char will have white spots like in the pic, rather than dark spots

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:43 pm

and the body is dark greyish black with red spots in spawning and i believe a bright silvery color in the salt?

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:07 pm

And skin. Scales are so small you might not even call them that.

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 am

An example of Washington's native char that most of us call Dollies (Dolly Varden) though if you want to be correct the fish is a bull trout.

While both Dolly Varden and bull trout are both found here in western Washington currently it is thought that Dolly Varden are found in head water areas with the bull trout being much more common and found throughout many of our anadromous river systems and with many of them showing an anadromous lifehistory (much like sea-run cutthroat).

As mentioned "healthy" bull trout populations are found in the Skagit and Skykomish basins where there are areas (check your fishing regulations) where an angler can keep them (2 a day with a 20 inch minimum size limit). There are lesser numbers of spawning fish found in the Nooksack, Stillaguamish, Cedar, and Puyallup systems. However bull trout can be pretty nomadic with fish moving about quite a bit looking for foraging opporunties. It is not uncommon to find "visiting" fish in basins in which they do not spawn. As an example radio tagged Skagit bull trout have been found moving along the coast of Puget Sound at least as far South as Seattle with individual fish dipping into any of the freshwater areas along the way.

There isn't a known bull trout spawning population in the Snoqualmie portion of the Snohomish system. The fish pictured is most likely a foraging fish from one of the other spawning populations - mostly likely a Skykomish or Skagit fish. Looking at the fish's size it may have been a 4 year old fish that likely spawned the previous fall (in this region they typically spawn in late September to early November).

All and all a fun catch and a very interesting fish that is poorly understood. They can be a long lived fish that at times gets quite large.

Tight lines
Curt