Help on 8wt Steelhead/Coho Fly Rod

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishing collector
Captain

Help on 8wt Steelhead/Coho Fly Rod

Post by fishing collector » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 pm

#-o I need some help on the length of an 8wt rod that I am going to build. I have always fished with 5-6 and smaller and now I think it's time to try a larger rod.I have always wanted to build my own rod but here is so many options available...Jeez... The question is this; What length do I look for? My options so far are 9' - 9'6" - 10' - 10'6'' , and a spey rod (not real keen on that one) .

I plan on using this rod for a couple of things, one of course is for River Steelhead/Coho and the other is for some beach fishing Steelhead and Coho around the sound in Saltwater) I have arthritis in my wrists so I have been looking for a rod with a fighting butt and because this is the first rod I have made my self I was thinking of an inexpensive Rainshadow kit. Either a Switch-Rod or a 4 piece Kit. Another option is a St Croix Kit. I am staying with a rod under $200.00 due to this being the first one. If this works then I will go for a Kusse Bamboo!! LOL

I am going to start this rod around the 19th so if you have some ideas, please post them. Thanks, Steve.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Help on 8wt Steelhead/Coho Fly Rod

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:19 pm

It's hard to go wrong with the rainshadow. Very nice quality and made by flyfishermen for flyfishermen right here in Washington State. Lil old Squim.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 pm

I would stay long on your Rod!!!! Again a Pole:colors:= is a light hanger and flag support unit:-#

Unless your fishing creeks and brush! I would go long!!!:bounce:

Check out the BC boys they push the long rods and mending and helping your process 10ft 6 would be a starting spot!
I would find a Sage or Loomis Blank with a fast action tip and with some back=bone that will cover much and many that take your puffer stick 8 or 9 weight on any river system!

So when she is done lets see some pics of that (Rod) and Size does matter a few 100 have told me so!!!:cheers: :chef: LOL

Fish on!

motorek
Petty Officer

Post by motorek » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:49 pm

I would buy 10', I like long rods because they have better control. If you want stay under 200 $ it may have a lack of performance. But there is a solution. If you want to use line #8 buy rod #9. It will be more powerful. It is not perfect solution but work.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:55 pm

9'-6" for river & beach for single hand casting. 10'-6" t0 11' for a switch for same applications only2 hand casting. I've had rotator cuff issues, carpel tunnel in both wrists, and a little arty in my right hand. I look at it this way. Single hand casting I'm lucky to make 3 hrs fishing 7 wt & heavier. 2 hand casting I can fish all day with no discomfort. I can spey cast or fish nymphs when I need to and overhead cast off the salt beaches. It just requires 2 different lines. To spey cast you pick a line thats in the upper grain wt window of the rod. To over head you pick a line thats in the lower grain wt window of the rod. Not rocket science but picking the right line for the rod and its intended usage is important. I've tried the 14'+ spey rods but I personally prefer the shorter switch rods for their light wt and ease on my beat up body. I have 4 switch rods and am gradually parting with my heavier wt single handers. If you do a Rainshadow you can get the guide spacing off their website as well as all the parts. I haven't built a rod in years but all my salt water gear rods were built by me. Great winter projects!
Life's short - fish hard!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:02 pm

i fish an 8wt 9ft but have often wonderd on an 9'6" or 10' fly rod. if you are building one check out gregs custom rods in lake stevens
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:38 am

=d> I want to thank all who posted. :thumleft: I got some ideas that really helped. So far I am leaning towards a Rainshadow Switch-Rod.
It is a 10'8" 8wt and it comes as a complete kit. I'll still be looking around for others. I am going up to Monroe tomorrow and checkout "All About the Fly" and see what they have to say. After talking with a few people I think I will stick with the 8wt anyway. I guess I can change the handling by using a 9 or 10wt line. They are experts on spey and switch-rod casting. I hope I come home with more answers, not more questions??? Thanks again and keep those card and letters acommin'. Thanks again, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:54 am

Let us know how the process goes!!!! I've been getting the itch to do the same and would love to see your progress on the progress.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 am

all about the fly is a great place to check
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:53 am

Thanks again for the emails and posts..Decided to go with a Rainshadow Switch Rod 10'8'' 8 wt ..... I couldn't afford the G loomis blanks so I went to Hook and Hackle and they had the kit for only $ 121.00 with shipping. They have great prices on all their stuff www.hookhack.com The people up in Monroe were great . Here is the site. www.allaboutthefly.com I'll start it when all the pieces arrive and post a pic when it's done. Thanks again, Steve

The handle is coming along and will look like this,Picture the design and the kit. This kit is from eBay..$129.00 or so...It was the best price I found. The Hook and Hackle price was a bit less but I didn't like some of the pieces, so I had to buy some more at "All About The Fly " in Monroe. On eBay they have an assortment of switch rods sized from a 5wt to a 10wt I believe.
Rod making is fun, I am making mine at Herman's Bait and Tackle and you can also make them for about $40 bucks and they supply all the glue,turning machines, tools, and thread, epoxy and expert advise in Monroe. It is really a kick. Have Fun, Steve....

OOPS...:-k tried to add a kit pic but it didn't upload...Oh well, Here is the url http://cgi.ebay.com/Rainshadow-Switch-R ... otohosting
Attachments

[The extension 95 complete anglers hab has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension 95 complete anglers hab has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

finished_cork__grip.jpg
finished_cork__grip.jpg (154.59 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:37 am

:thumleft: I have been working for the last few days on the rod. Mike Herman from Herman's Big Fish in Everett Wa. has been giving me tips and instructing me on the in's and out's of rod building. He has been building rods for 20 years and really knows his trade. I have installed the cork handles, seat and guides and on Tuesday I will finish the wrapping of the ferrules and putting on the finishing touches of feather bling blings!!
Mike has been a great instructor for this novice. He also teaches a lot of kids to make their first rods. The cost is inexpensive and you save money over a store bought rod of the same brand. If you want to have a good time and build a little Snoopy pole for the grand kids or a Sage 5wt for your self this is the guy to see. I will post some pics in a few days.

The weather is getting nicer and now is the time to sign up for the rod building experience. I figure when I finish I will have something that I will enjoy for the rest of my life and will be something to pass on to the kids. It has been so much fun that I am going to build a set of fly poles from 1 to 8. Call Mike at 425 252 7920, I am sure glad that I called him. He is going to show me how to fix/rebuild a bamboo rod that my grandfather gave me 30 years ago and has been sitting in a old tube. What fun!=d>

:sunny: Hope you all have a great time this season and post a bunch! Steve

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”