economy and trout

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Awoods
Warrant Officer

economy and trout

Post by Awoods » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 pm

So today I was wishing for spring time to arrive so that I could hit the lakes without having to deal with the nasty weather and I got to thinking. With the economy in the worst it has ever been since I've been alive (only 18 years) will that affect how many trout are to be stocked in the lakes? I'm assuming that it does cost money to raise, and release the fish. If it does I hope it does'nt affect it too greatly. Though I would rather have a strong economy than a good fishing season as hard as that is to say.

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

RE:economy and trout

Post by SmokinAces » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 am

Sorry Woodski, it sure does. The WDFW is already planning on major cut backs all over the state. The good news is that I hear most of those cuts won't take place till 2010. You would have to confirm this but it really does make an impact on low land lakes!
Pressin' Fish On!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 am

Plus the devil Gregoire is going to close hatcheries as well as raise our licencing fees. So yes, we will all be effected and our lakes will to. To bad she doesn't realize how much the fishing industry means to this state. Cut, cut, cut, that is the name of the game so far. Maybe she will be kind enough to throw some funds the WDFW's way if she gets the stimulus package she is asking for from the Gov.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:52 pm

Well that sucks. Oh well I guess it will be a good time to learn how to bass fish then lol. She's actually raising the liscencing fees too? Wow, if they're not already too high.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:31 pm

You know, this might turn out to be a mixed blessing. The less fish stocked the larger they will grow, especially those that last a few years. You may see your numbers reduced but the quality/size of the fish should increase. There are also a few systems where all the trout are natives like the Lake Washington basin.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Awoods wrote:Well that sucks. Oh well I guess it will be a good time to learn how to bass fish then lol. She's actually raising the liscencing fees too? Wow, if they're not already too high.
There will still be more then enough trout stocked in lakes...

G-Man makes a decent point. Maybe a slow economy too will even ward off some pressure from lakes too....

License fees really only go up anyways....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Another blessing that this could cause would be getting rid of the stocking truck chasers. Those non-anglers that come down to the lake opening day or the day of the drop and chase the trout around. This could get rid of some disrespectful uneducated wannabe anglers. And yes, this would help fish to grow larger in these lakes, but I do know of a couple lakes that are like fish bowls and without stocking there are not many fish to find.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:40 pm

they have closed enough hatcheries and raise licence prices more man i thought they could have not closed any more hatcheries for a few more years.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:21 pm

although it would be sad to have less lakes stocked, it still wont stop me from heading out to alpine destinations and higher elevation rivers for good fishing. I'll just be bumed my boat will stay in storage most of the year. So the real winners will once again be big oil, since I will have to drive farther from home to catch fish. Having pine and beaver lake within walking distance is a plus for the kids, but I rather enjoy the scenery of high mountain lakes anyways.

Also there have been a few times I've reminded my wife my hobby is one of the least expensive I've ever had. Lets see, gun collecting, being a dj, auto racing, music production, coin collecting, snowboarding. So next year I plan on keeping my costs down by using simpler tackle. Home made spinners, re sharpening my hooks instead of replacing them, no more rod or reel purchases or any big gear for that matter. As long as my waders dont tear I shouldn't have to invest much. I just have to use and re use what I allready have.

On a side note: I bet issaquah hatchery gets canned.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 am

Plus the devil Gregoire is going to close hatcheries as well as raise our licencing fees. So yes, we will all be effected and our lakes will to. To bad she doesn't realize how much the fishing industry means to this state. Cut, cut, cut, that is the name of the game so far. Maybe she will be kind enough to throw some funds the WDFW's way if she gets the stimulus package she is asking for from the Gov.
Yeah, its all Gov. Gregoire's fault. She masterminds the detriment of every fishery in the state. That *****...

Seriously you think she lies awake at night thinking of how to screw over fishermen? You guys need to get a broader sense of regional government.

It sucks, no doubt, that the stockers are going to go down in number. I can't agree more that Id like to see that program stronger than it is and able to make more happen as far as keeping lakes plugged with fish.

Conversely, every single person who complains about the license prices going up and the DECREASE OF GOVERNMENTAL SERVICES SUCH AS FISH HATCHERY PROGRAMS are the exact same people who complain constantly about PAYING TAXES.

One must balance their wants and desires with real world economics. The sales tax revenue is down substantially state wide. How else can we fund the government subsidized program of stocking fish in lakes than with tax dollars? If you want to strengthen the hatchery program, you should start a petition, let that grow to a ballot initiative, and have the entire fisheries program paid for by licensing fees. I know its brutal that we have to pay a whopping 2 hrs worth of a $13/hr salary for our freshwater license every year.....

E

Salmonking
Petty Officer

Post by Salmonking » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:44 am

Gisteppo wrote:
Yeah, its all Gov. Gregoire's fault. She masterminds the detriment of every fishery in the state. That *****...

Seriously you think she lies awake at night thinking of how to screw over fishermen? You guys need to get a broader sense of regional government.

It sucks, no doubt, that the stockers are going to go down in number. I can't agree more that Id like to see that program stronger than it is and able to make more happen as far as keeping lakes plugged with fish.

Conversely, every single person who complains about the license prices going up and the DECREASE OF GOVERNMENTAL SERVICES SUCH AS FISH HATCHERY PROGRAMS are the exact same people who complain constantly about PAYING TAXES.

One must balance their wants and desires with real world economics. The sales tax revenue is down substantially state wide. How else can we fund the government subsidized program of stocking fish in lakes than with tax dollars? If you want to strengthen the hatchery program, you should start a petition, let that grow to a ballot initiative, and have the entire fisheries program paid for by licensing fees. I know its brutal that we have to pay a whopping 2 hrs worth of a $13/hr salary for our freshwater license every year.....

E
You make a great point, I will give you that. However, when she decides to fly off to Iraq to thank the troops for their votes... Worst of all during the floods, on our dime. I think thats shady. On top of that, they (gov.) voted and gave themselves a pay raise, and in the shape the economy is. A little common sence would provail(you would think). Cuts start at the bottom and work their way up, and unfortunatly our sport/life style or what you care to call it is on the table.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:51 am

[qupte]However, when she decides to fly off to Iraq to thank the troops for their votes... Worst of all during the floods, on our dime. I think thats shady. On top of that, they (gov.) voted and gave themselves a pay raise, and in the shape the economy is.[/quote]

I have no problem forking over $2000 for a flight to Iraq to thank those fighting over there personally. They've earned a few dignitaries kissing their asses doing the work they do.

The pay raise, you may find, was voted by the body of your legislators, and was just as popular on the right side of the aisle as the left. I think they are all criminals for that. Can't really blame the gov for it.

As for the trout issue, lets start a campaign initiative to strip state funding and make all licensing fees go to the fishing services of the state. Those govt agencies that are responsible for the fish propagation and facilities maintenance at our local launches. Bear in mind that we would be looking at $100/yr or better for licensing, but we would be solely responsible for our fisheries and would know how exactly to support it.

E

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:59 am

I'm all over it! Lets go! If we're going to do it right, let's go a buck fifty or two and make sure it's done right.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

ndn
Petty Officer

Post by ndn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 pm

In addition to license fees, how about including sales tax collected on sale of fishing tackle.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Too complex. Sales tax breaks out in very complex ways, and the bureaucracy involved would be inefficient and costly. Though I appreciate your actually thinking about the issue.

E

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:15 pm

[

As for the trout issue, lets start a campaign initiative to strip state funding and make all licensing fees go to the fishing services of the state. Those govt agencies that are responsible for the fish propagation and facilities maintenance at our local launches. Bear in mind that we would be looking at $100/yr or better for licensing, but we would be solely responsible for our fisheries and would know how exactly to support it.

E[/quote]

i'm all for it as long as 1/2 goes to the warm water fisheries fund8-[

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:36 pm

I would support that 100%

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Gisteppo wrote:[qupte]However, when she decides to fly off to Iraq to thank the troops for their votes... Worst of all during the floods, on our dime. I think thats shady. On top of that, they (gov.) voted and gave themselves a pay raise, and in the shape the economy is.
I have no problem forking over $2000 for a flight to Iraq to thank those fighting over there personally. They've earned a few dignitaries kissing their asses doing the work they do.

The pay raise, you may find, was voted by the body of your legislators, and was just as popular on the right side of the aisle as the left. I think they are all criminals for that. Can't really blame the gov for it.

E[/quote]

I am sorry but I totally disagree. Being a Viet Vet I would not honor an elected official’s presence knowing that many of my family, friends, and neighbors back home were about to go without. She went to Iraq and spent taxpayer’s money with total disregard for the folks at home that elected her. As far as the pay raise goes she should have lowered the gavel and said no! People like Howard Shultz have taken Hugh pay cuts and have made those hard decisions that will allow them to survive during these hard times. It’s time for Christine to show some leadership and lead by example.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:01 am

Stamp, you should tell her that. The Governor's office has an email address where you can make yourself heard.

E

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:00 am

Gisteppo wrote:Stamp, you should tell her that. The Governor's office has an email address where you can make yourself heard.

E
Ditto from me! I make a habit of telling my elected officials just how I want them to serve me.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!