Ice Reports...

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Ice Reports...

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:42 pm

aaron42ash wrote:well take it easy out there this weekend. I went out again today and there was a foot of snow and slush and water under it. made the walking really difficult. The ice also seems to be a bit thinner in places. I would say it has lost about 3 inches of ice since all of the snow started. It must be insulating the water. so...not ideal. I hope it rains them gets really cold so it all freezes up again.
I'll be honest with you guys, you scare me a little.

I have seen ice that did not freeze up completely, then snow fell on it. The ice never froze hard, never got deeper, and guys started falling through crazy.

Now, I'm not saying I would not go out with you, but I'd make sure you and your power sled were at least 20 yarda ahead of me to test the ice first.:-" LOL
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:20 pm

had to take my youngest son along with some friends to cheney for college. stopped at sprague to see if anyone was catching anything. there was over a doz. people fishing, mainy were new to ice fishing. only a few trout were caught, ice looked good and was told it was 10 to12". i'll post pictures soon, didn't fish since i had no room for my fishing gear.#-o

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks for the report on Sprague panfisher. I was on the way back from a wrestling tourney at Freeman Sunday and saw the ice fishermen at Sprague and was going to post to see if anyone was catching anything out there. Man, I could not believe the amount of snow up in Spokane. Saw a bunch of deer on the way home walking across one of the frozen lakes off I-90 toward Cheney. Stay warm!!!

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Went out to Elioka again yesterday with a few friends. Walked out from Jerry's Landing all the way to the north end of the lake. The slush that was on top of the lake was getting hard enough so we didn't step through to the hard ice at the bottom. I would say at least 3 inches on top and 7-8 on the bottom.

What a great day thought. We finally got a power auger so we were drilling holes left and right. We probably caught over 100 fish between the 3 of us. Many perch over 9 or 10 inches. Some bass. One really nice one for ice fishing right around 19 inches, and a few rainbows and browns. We tried for crappies in all of my usual spots for spring fishing, but no luck. Oh well maybe next time. Good luck everyone. Hopefully this warm snap doesn't ruin it all...stupid global warming =/

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:49 pm

heres some pict's of sprague be fore the warm spell. tough fishing for the bird.
Attachments
100_3213_Small.jpg
100_3213_Small.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
100_3212_Small.jpg
100_3212_Small.jpg (42.02 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
100_3211_Small.jpg
100_3211_Small.jpg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
100_3210_Small.jpg
100_3210_Small.jpg (38.06 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
100_3209_Small.jpg
100_3209_Small.jpg (15.45 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Cool thanks for the pictures. Does anyone know about the Species in Sprague after the "reclamation" ??? It wouldn't really surprise me if it was down to another "trout only" lake...then again, someone will end-up stocking a few warmwater species sooner or later. [-o<

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:52 pm

[quote="aaron42ash"]Cool thanks for the pictures. Does anyone know about the Species in Sprague after the "reclamation" ??? It wouldn't really surprise me if it was down to another "trout only" lake...then again, someone will end-up stocking a few warmwater species sooner or later. [-o&lt]

check out sprague report in august in the "fresh water" section.

hinds2912
Petty Officer

Post by hinds2912 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:28 pm

According to the 2008 Fishing Prospects published by WDFW, Sprague will be replanted with Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, and Catfish this year. Although, they are also quoted as saying "it will take a few years for the fisheries for these species to develop". Until then, they are planting 155,600 catchable Trout along with 3,239 Triploids this March and April to keep the few people fishing there entertained!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 pm

we'll need some more collllllllld!!!! stuff to make the ice safe in the yakima area.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 pm

So has ice-fishing stopped or what?!? No posts on thickness or any fishing in a long while. Maybe i will head out to a few places monday. Let me know if you have done any damage on any of the lakes.

By the way
According to the 2008 Fishing Prospects published by WDFW, Sprague will be replanted with Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, and Catfish this year. Although, they are also quoted as saying "it will take a few years for the fisheries for these species to develop"
That's good news! Hopefully it all goes to plan.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:29 am

"paul and sammi" posted a good report on eloika the other day. think he said about 12-14" of ice with NO SLUSH OR SNOW ON TOP!! woohoo!!

i drove by newman last night and also saw that the nasty snow/slush layer was gone and it was easy walking out on the ice. i had my 3 yr-old asleep in the car so i couldn't leave shore though. i was hoping to walk out until i came across an old hole and measure it.

i think i'm going to watch some football today and fish tomorrow. good luck if you go, we'll have to compare notes on tuesday! ;-)
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm

hello all,

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:10 pm

hello all,

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:16 pm

just got back from a trip to fish lake the fishing was good caught about 18 or so perch i let them all go but if your into perch then this is the lake for you to go there was about 100 ppl on the lake saturday and the ice was about 10 total inches with a 3 inch layer of slush about half way thru but good walking and good ice for the most part. i heard there aer some large trout in there so i will head back on the 24th there was only a total of 2 people with shanties and the rest of the people were braving the cold. any one with good information on the lake as to where to catch the trout please let me know. thanks and have a great time on the ice

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:34 pm

Great day on Eloika. Good ice everywhere we went. I took a squad of friends and my roommates who all caught fish. We took home about 25 perch over 9-10 inches and a few crappies too. I was really happy to finally catch the crappies through the ice again. It has been a slow winter for them. Also a few pike-minnows and about 10 bass. Used maggots and eyeballs on bright colored jigs. Alright take care all!

Rozman
Petty Officer

Post by Rozman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Went out on Silver Lake today. Ice is in good shape, no slush or snow on top of the ice to speak of. No matter how deep I fished or what presentation I used all I caught was perch, perch and perch. Still fun to get out. Tight lines everyone.
Fish and men are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouth!!

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:51 am

silver lake huh? How big where the trout? O ya and are you talking about fish lake by cheeny area the one with the park and tiger trout? I thought that was closed? How big where the pearch there? I want to hit up hog canyon have you heard anything about it lately? Ok keep up the fishing.

bazzdude
Petty Officer

Post by bazzdude » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 am

oops i ment how big where the pearch? :-&

Rozman
Petty Officer

Post by Rozman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:27 am

Dinks!!
Fish and men are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouth!!

bruce6620
Angler

Post by bruce6620 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:09 pm

to aaron42ash u siad in ur report on eloika on the 20th that u caught pike minnows? i have fished that lake sense i was a kid and never seen pike minnows there so i was wondering if they were the grass pickeral that r in the lake? thanks first, most, biggest guys :^o