Corn. legal or illegal?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

RE:Corn. legal or illegal?

Post by RainbowHunter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:49 am

Okay I've checked thhe rules there is no mention of corn. As far as the topic of using live bait here is what it says in the rules:

(taken directly from the harvest and possesion rules section of the book)
You may not:

Posses or use live fish for game fish bait.

And according to the WDFW game fish are as follows;
GAME FISH
Includes bass,burbot (freshwater ling),
cat ?sh,crappie,grayling,northern
pikeminnow,peamouth chub,yellow perch,
northern pike,tiger musky,sucker,sun ?sh,
grass carp,trout (including steelhead,
kokanee,and Dolly Varden/bull trout),
landlocked salmon (Chinook,coho or
Atlantic),walleye,and white ?sh.
Wich means no live fish can be used to try for them.

But as far as wether or not you can use a goldfish or other fish to go for game fish: Yes you can as long as it is dead before you try to put it on the hook. So if you want to use gold fish go ahead but remember to kill them before you head to the lake!
If it aint broke, You aint trying hard enough!

http://countvladamier.spaces.live.com

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:47 pm

I have used corn at Riffe lake. That is the bait of choice there. Especially w/cocktail shrimp..
"One more......."

RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

Post by RainbowHunter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:10 pm

I have used corn before myself in several lakes around my area. I believe that white corn or sweet corn are the best options for putting on a hook like a #8 or #10 egg hook. If your are on a lake that allows chumming, creamed corn works great as a chum but I would suggest putting it in a blender before you leave the house and turn it into like a paste then mix with some corn meal. Then scatter in the water, this way there are no big kernels for the fish to fill up on and they will be more likely to hit the corn on your line instead. There are some baits out there that are similar to powerbait that are made with corn (but they do tend to come off the hook easier). One brand I've personaly used(and liked) is Natura Bait, that came in a variety of flavors. But I havent found this particular brand for a few years.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:21 pm

RainbowHunter is the man. I would of never thought about blending the corn in a blender first. Less harm done to fish, disperses better in the water and the only real corn the fish sees is the one on your hook. I like it. :compress:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:03 pm

I used corn for Kokes on Lk Stevens.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Iceman wrote:Thanks guys for clearing that up. I have always ruled out corn as an option because of this one guy's remark. I am not a person who breaks rules and I hate it when I see people break them. I always read the regs. I am asking because I never found any information stating it to be illegal. I just didn't want to find out the hard way with a ticket.
I would not be surprised if the guy you talked to was from Utah or Wyoming. Both of those states have made corn illegal.

I don't know why Wyoming did it, but the story I heard when I lived in Utah was that people were chuming, illegally, and that on popular shores you could find more corn at the bottom than on the grocery shelf.:-"

As for corn hurting fish, well my experiences are that it does not. Fish eat rocks once in a while, and like corn, they too will pass, even if they cannot digest it.:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:54 pm

anglinarcher, might wanna do a little spell check there, all i see is one misspelled word but well...

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:56 pm

h :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

Bro-Rando
Petty Officer

Post by Bro-Rando » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm

I know they take illegal cuming pretty serious in Washington, so I'd be careful with that...8-[
Certainty is for those who have learned and believed only one truth...

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:32 pm

If they make corn illegal who knows what they will come up with next. Dont give them any ideas.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 pm

you guys are "getting off" topic. I had mentioned gold fish because where I was from we would use live feeder gold fish from the pet store to target bass in deepwater. The same way we would use minnows to target dorado and tuna in the ocean. I have not gone that route since moving to washington, but there are some days I do think about it. And if this fish has to be dead in order for it to be ok, once that 2/0 hook goes through a 3" gold fish, there about as good as dead before they hit the bottom. Of course they never got to hit the bottom when we fished that way.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

JohnKTKim
Angler

Post by JohnKTKim » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:59 pm

I fished in the Little Red River in AR... a long time ago
they'd chum with corn (green giant canned variety) :)
little red is a great fishery (corn kernels must be alright as food for the fish) world record brown trout came out of little red river… but this is dating back some 15 years or so

used to drop by the corner gas station in AR to buy live minnows as bait... bass loved them! someone should inform some local WA, corporate chain sporting good stores that the minnow bucket won't sell! As using live fish for fishing is illegal.

Where are you finding live crawdads?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:09 am

sharpshooter223 wrote:anglinarcher, might wanna do a little spell check there, all i see is one misspelled word but well...
LOL, actually I did do a spell check, using IeSpell. The word is real, just NOT THE RIGHT ONE.

sorry.:-# #-o

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:14 am

Bro-Rando wrote:I know they take illegal cuming pretty serious in Washington, so I'd be careful with that...8-[
Is that illegal cumming or chumming?Hahahahha
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 am

I know chumming is illegal in general for Washington state unless it is posted under the special rules for that specific lake. Its always good to read before you fish if you don't know the rules for the lake.

RainbowHunter
Petty Officer

Post by RainbowHunter » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:51 am

I've only chummed in American lake down here in tacoma/lakewood area because it is legal, but I rarely do it. Ive chummed it maybe 4 times and ive been fishing it for over 20 years.

JohnKTKim: as far as the crawdads go I know for a fact they have them in american lake, as well as mayfield lake. And I know of several creeks where crawdads can be found. I would suggest if you want to know for sure if a lake your fishing has them is first check with locals, if its rumored that there in there, then buy a small crawdad pot and just drop it in next time your gonna be on the lake for a few hours. I dont know if you've gone crawdad fishing before but I have found that pork suasage(the stuff in the rolls that looks like its ground up meat) works really well. But like I said check with locals first wouldnt wont to drop a pot in a lake thats never had any and wind up looking foolish.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:33 pm

gian wrote:you guys are "getting off" topic. I had mentioned gold fish because where I was from we would use live feeder gold fish from the pet store to target bass in deepwater. The same way we would use minnows to target dorado and tuna in the ocean. I have not gone that route since moving to washington, but there are some days I do think about it. And if this fish has to be dead in order for it to be ok, once that 2/0 hook goes through a 3" gold fish, there about as good as dead before they hit the bottom. Of course they never got to hit the bottom when we fished that way.
LOL - off topic? The title to this thread is "Corn, legal or illegal?" How in the world did gold fish come up? HEHEHE

Still, I have seen the dead gold fish come alive, so I vote to not use them. I know what you are saying, and it is legal as far as I can tell, if they are dead, but I wonder.

I was fishing Elokia last year and saw a 10" or so gold fish swim under the boat. I have seen lakes in Colorado that were killed out because of all of the gold fish.

I have also frozen gold fish in liquid nitrogen, then thawed them out. About a third survived the ordeal. Those little devils are tougher then you think.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
LOL - off topic? The title to this thread is "Corn, legal or illegal?" How in the world did gold fish come up? HEHEHE

Still, I have seen the dead gold fish come alive, so I vote to not use them. I know what you are saying, and it is legal as far as I can tell, if they are dead, but I wonder.

I was fishing Elokia last year and saw a 10" or so gold fish swim under the boat. I have seen lakes in Colorado that were killed out because of all of the gold fish.

I have also frozen gold fish in liquid nitrogen, then thawed them out. About a third survived the ordeal. Those little devils are tougher then you think.
now how do they possibly manage to survive that, im guessing it was a fairly brief exposure to the liquid nitrogen, couldnt have been completely frozen through. what were you doing putting goldfish in liquid nitrogen anyway?

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:03 pm

would always put my live minnows (fat head chubs) in minnesota after a day of ice fishing out side. the bucket would freeze solid and all i needed to do was thaw them out inside and they would all be ready to fight off the walleye. there are many lakes in washington that have big goldfish populations. certainly one reason to keep the introduction of unwanted fish in our waters buy not using live fish for bait. as far as the corn just let the fish fill up with it and you would'nt have to fix any other veggi. just throw it in the skillet whole and you'll have a full meal deal:thumright

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:58 pm

see, i would just assume not eat partially digested corn. if i want to stuff my fish i think i will clean it first and not include digestive juices in the mix.