steelhead question?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:steelhead question?

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:21 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:
Iceman wrote:
Swede mention that line makes a big difference. I was wondering if this is really true. Maybe I have some crappy line. I heard my cousin saying that the guys on the river were using 8-10 lb lines. It must be the lines. The guys on the river didn't really want to give me their secret.

Any suggestions?
I would switch to Maxima chameleon it is the tried and true salmon/steelhead line. I also agree that p-line is a very good line never used it on the river but for big bass it worked great I like 12 lb test in both.
P-Line is some of the worst crap I've ever used. All the guides use it because it's cheap and they don't care if they have to throw it away after one use. My opinion....... Take it for what it's worth.

Maxima is great line been using it for years. Try the Treasure Z, best to come out in years. I switched to it for a try after using nothing but braid for the last 5 years (anything over 8#). It's the bomb! I still like my Power Pro and Tuff Line, they disapear in the water and they're so small. The key is using the proper leader so you drop the leader before breaking the reel. Give the Treasure Z a try, no memory. You like Cameleon, you'll love the Z
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:40 pm

Bodofish wrote:
P-Line is some of the worst crap I've ever used. All the guides use it because it's cheap and they don't care if they have to throw it away after one use. My opinion....... Take it for what it's worth.

Maxima is great line been using it for years. Try the Treasure Z, best to come out in years. I switched to it for a try after using nothing but braid for the last 5 years (anything over 8#). It's the bomb! I still like my Power Pro and Tuff Line, they disapear in the water and they're so small. The key is using the proper leader so you drop the leader before breaking the reel. Give the Treasure Z a try, no memory. You like Cameleon, you'll love the Z
Pline isn't exactly cheap....

Maxima is good, strength wise it is outperformed by P-Line, and Chameleon is way too stiff....UG is good, a little too stiff for spinning reels IMO...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Iceman
Petty Officer

Post by Iceman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:24 am

Bodofish wrote: P-Line is some of the worst crap I've ever used. All the guides use it because it's cheap and they don't care if they have to throw it away after one use. My opinion....... Take it for what it's worth.

What stores carry Maxima Treasure Z? I always see the Green and Cameleon but I don't remember seeing the Z or at least it didn't catch my eye. Do you think 12lb Z for main and 10lb Maxima flourocarbon for leader is a good combo? Or should I go with something esle or a smaller leader? The last time I fished for Salmon I used 15lb TrileneXL leader. I am such a noob. You gotta start somewhere right. Thanks for the great help guys.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 am

I personally use Chamelleon (Maxima) 12 or 15 pound test leader.Why lose a fish? Your line is drug along the rocks ,branches,other obstacles in the water.I prefer a lil bit heavier leader incase of those incidentals.Sure beats retieing leaders all day long.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm

thats why i own pips boxs so i dont have to retie all the time.I have 4 pre tied leaders in each i have three so thats 12 leaders that are ready to go and work great for snaggy rivers.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Iceman wrote:
Bodofish wrote: P-Line is some of the worst crap I've ever used. All the guides use it because it's cheap and they don't care if they have to throw it away after one use. My opinion....... Take it for what it's worth.

What stores carry Maxima Treasure Z? I always see the Green and Cameleon but I don't remember seeing the Z or at least it didn't catch my eye. Do you think 12lb Z for main and 10lb Maxima flourocarbon for leader is a good combo? Or should I go with something esle or a smaller leader? The last time I fished for Salmon I used 15lb TrileneXL leader. I am such a noob. You gotta start somewhere right. Thanks for the great help guys.
That's exactly what I'm using....... You can get it at Joes or the big C. BTW P-Line still sux. I can't think of a line with worse memory...... well maybe some old Berkely...... =)
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Bodo had the correct teacher:-$ Maxima Treasure Z the best multi polymer line going to date and replaced tourney silver and Perflexion in the Maxima lines which were both great in the Maxima products as well and I still use both.
P= line has many problems with more shown fast in the rivers then the bay!:cheers: :bball: And as far as pips/pre rigged leaders and pre set ups maybe 400:colors: :compress: or so waiting for any river conditions, colors and flows as well as differnt parts of this State or others:cheers:
Attachments
yep0009.jpg
yep0009.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
gear22.jpg
gear22.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:29 pm

i have 3 pis now. I like izorline in green more than maxima. maxima broke to easy to me . p line is really bad it wheres out in a few trips. Swede how big is your vest with all those pips it must be quite full
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:02 pm

:cheers: I'm pretty sure it'a 2X, If I may, it's an awful lot my pack and pockets. By the time one starts walking you couldn't fit another popcicle stick in anywhere. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
We don't very often say I wish I'd brought............:cyclopsan :cyclopsan :cyclopsan :cyclopsan

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:13 pm

4x:colors: and it weighs 60 plus lbs if its twenty:compress: and needs to be Reduced badly and almost got me killed yesterday :cheers:
33 pips loaded with flies, corkies and yarn, Pink worms and tons more and as Matt said on his passing over B-day almost Grandpa:eye: :cyclopsan :cheers: , spinners, slinkies, spoons, yarn, floats 3 or 4 bait divers a few plugs hardware/tools and my bait bag in truth is worse that might be 18lbs:colors: on a bad day and smells like a very bad boy!:colors: #-o

(Columbia Sportswear company) the best $$$ can buy fly vest as well sweeeet products:cheers:
Attachments
goodholeoff2.jpg
goodholeoff2.jpg (121.89 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
flats_nate_and_release.jpg
flats_nate_and_release.jpg (90.63 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

64omcangeler
Petty Officer

Post by 64omcangeler » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:12 pm

it's all about the braided POWER PRO this line a lil spendy but i have never had a problem with it, that on my bobber rob and then i love the maxima 12lb for my plunking, drifting rods.
rippin lips and kickin ass is what im about!!!!!!

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 pm

i never got in to using braid for float fishing

Team Fish Whore
EGG GURU