Ice fishing tips?

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
CaptainJack
Petty Officer

Ice fishing tips?

Post by CaptainJack » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Hey everybody,

My dad, uncle, a friend and myself are heading up to Bonaparte Lake next weekend to try some ice fishing for trout. I was just wondering if anybody has ever ice fished there and could share some tips. If not, how about some general tips for catching rainbow, brown, brook, and lake trout through the ice? Thanks in advance, Cap'n Jack :pirat:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Ice fishing tips?

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Every time I use night crawlers and they catch fish! Use a scent and be carefull not to use high vis. gear the water is crystal clear under the ice :eye: Jigs work also I made 1 that I put a night crawler on the end of or use meal worms to tip. I will try to post a picture of what worked for me. Caught 3 today:cheers:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Big D

Post by Big D » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:29 am

I use a slip sinker rig with 4 pound test main line and a 24" to 36" leader. Place the weight on the bottom and give your reel a couple of turns to get the weight and bait up out of the weeds. Power bait in various colors. It's always good to have some fresh worms on hand. In fact you can use just about any trout bait that you would use in the warmer months. We did great at Rat Lake above Brewster yesterday. Two limits in about an hour. Look for the report as soon as it clears.
Good Luck and be careful out on the ice.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

CaptainJack
Petty Officer

Post by CaptainJack » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks guys, that will definitely help. I'll post a report when I get back.