Rufus Woods anchoring question?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Big D

Rufus Woods anchoring question?

Post by Big D » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Hello,
I'm getting ready to make the run from Chief Joe up to the pens very soon. I've seen that the new owners of the pens do not want any boats tying off to the pens or pen buoys. So, I'm getting ready to purchase a new anchor for my 18' Lund and I'm looking for suggestions. I've heard that the river can run very fast in the area of the pens so I'm unsure if the standard three fluked river anchors will hold. I’ve been looking at this style of anchor in 18 lbs. pictured below.
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
i015218sq01.jpg
i015218sq01.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Rufus Woods anchoring question?

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:32 pm

well, I'm no expert but that seems about right, with some chain on it (say 6 ft). Have you looked at the EZMarine video on his anchor release system? I've seen it in use and I'll tell you what it really is a cool anchor system to have for rivers. Definately a mandatory safety item for big rivers, IMO. Check out his video on WL.com videos.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:04 am

Unless you're planning on anchoring in fast moving water (river), that looks a bit heavy to me. That 50# will make a 100# line pretty long. For lakes I'd probably go with a more traditional anchor or maybe a bruce.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 am

Mike & Bodofish,

Mike, thanks for the info. The anchor system from EZMarine looks like the ticket. I just don't know if I want to get into it that deep. "No pun intended" I was told that the water I would be anchoring in is anywhere from 60' to 90' deep and that means I would have to use upwards of 400' of anchor line to get a good hold. That's a lot of line to be carrying in the bow of an 18' Lund.

Bodofish, thanks for the info. You are very correct. I was going to be anchoring in the river (Rufus Woods) but as I stated above: The water in the area I was planning on dropping anchor in is 60' to 90' deep. From everything I've been reading in the last couple of days, it looks like I would have to put out over 400' of anchor line to get a good hold.

I received a nice email from blufin loui yesterday explaining about the water depth in that area and how he uses his bow mount trolling motor to stay in the area he wants to fish. To save a little money and a lot of hassle I'm going to try the bow mount the first time I head up to the pens.

Anyone else have an opinion? I'm all ears.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:02 pm

I would say this - if you plan on anchoring that deep you might as well spring for the right set up - before you know it you'll be going to the Columbia and catching those 10 ft long sturgeons!

I don't remember how much line Louie used, it didn't seem like an excessive amount to deal with. You could always e-mail him from his web site, I'm sure he'd be happy to offer his opinion.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Take a look at a "columbia river anchor", considerably lighter (and the lifting system) and designed for anchoring in deep water. For what it's worth I have 100 feet of line on my rocket launcher and I anchor Rufus. Inside the pens is 40 to 60 feet and outside......., I'm not pulling it up that far. A straight up Fluke anchor should be fine for anywhere at Rufus. The water just doesn't move that fast. The only place you want to use a Rocket Launcher Anchor is in shallow fast moving water. like on the Wenachee, Methow or rivers on the west side.
Hope that helps. =)
M
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:44 pm

The coolest feature of that EZ Marine product is you don't manually pull up the anchor. You just drive the boat forward and the anchor comes up with the boat. It really is a cool tool.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:20 am

I wish I could run it with a rocket launcher. =(

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm

i know it is not the classified section but i have a river mushroom anchor 35lb with bouy and lift if anyone wants it.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:20 am

I'll bet it would hold an 18' lund just about anywhere. ;4)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liquid metal
Angler

Post by Liquid metal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 am

Big D, I have the same richter anchor for my 19 foot lund and it holds well at the roof! I have 150 ft of anchor line in the boat and 6 feet of 3/8 chain. Like said I would rather use the electric or the kicker at rufus.