rotary vises

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

rotary vises

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:37 pm

I think I'm in the market for a new vise and have wanted a rotary for a couple of years.

I have a Norvise...but it doesn't offer the ease of use I have with my non-rotary Regal.

Any suggestions.

Also, I may cross back over from fishing on the Dark Side the past 6 years.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:rotary vises

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:37 pm

If I were you, I'd keep both the vises you have and add a DanVise to your coral. $79 and it will do all you need as far as a rotary. I've used one for about 5 years now and I really like it. Especially for the $$$$.
THESE folks sell them and they are great people. :thumright :thumright :thumright :thumright :thumright

Yup, 5 thumbs up.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:32 pm

I'm currently using a Griffin Odyssey rotary. It's a good vise but twice the cost of a Dan vise. It really doesn't do anything better either. I also use an old Thompson "A" vise that I've had for 30 years. For jigs & large buggers the old Thompson works just fine.
Life's short - fish hard!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:14 am

I wasn't planning on getting rid of my other vises. I like the Regal because of the spring loaded clamp. I think I've used it for 20+ years.

On Rotarys I'm concerned with function and how handy it is. Price is secondary. I've learned that if one buys what fits their usage best, one only has to buy the product once. No later upgrades.

I think I did look at the Dan Vise earlier but never pulled the trigger on buying one.

I wore a Thompson out before I got the Regal. The Thompson dated from the late 40's (it was my dad's) and it finallo wore out in the 80's
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:34 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I wasn't planning on getting rid of my other vises. I like the Regal because of the spring loaded clamp. I think I've used it for 20+ years.

On Rotarys I'm concerned with function and how handy it is. Price is secondary. I've learned that if one buys what fits their usage best, one only has to buy the product once. No later upgrades.

I think I did look at the Dan Vise earlier but never pulled the trigger on buying one.

I wore a Thompson out before I got the Regal. The Thompson dated from the late 40's (it was my dad's) and it finallo wore out in the 80's
Mine is a custom made by a guy in Boseman Montana, so I can't really suggest a brand. I would however suggest going to a fly shop and asking to try their rotaries out before you buy. I found that rotaries are like women, we all want something different when we chose to marry, I mean buy.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:13 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I wasn't planning on getting rid of my other vises. I like the Regal because of the spring loaded clamp. I think I've used it for 20+ years.

Mine is a custom made by a guy in Boseman Montana, so I can't really suggest a brand. I would however suggest going to a fly shop and asking to try their rotaries out before you buy. I found that rotaries are like women, we all want something different when we chose to marry, I mean buy.
Good point!! I went to Avid Angler this morning and got a Renzetti.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:37 am

Lotech Joe wrote:If I were you, I'd keep both the vises you have and add a DanVise to your coral. $79 and it will do all you need as far as a rotary. I've used one for about 5 years now and I really like it. Especially for the $$$$.
THESE folks sell them and they are great people. :thumright :thumright :thumright :thumright :thumright

Yup, 5 thumbs up.
I also use a danvise and have had zero problems with it. Bang for the buck is superb.

Got mine from Hilltop.

If you don't mind cutting your own rabbit strips, they also have a great deal on bags of scraps.

You can cut them any way you want them (zonker, magnum, crosscut, etc), just don't use a pair of scissors. A razor knife is the way to go. :thumright
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”