Ice Reports...

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Ice Reports...

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:45 pm

Thought I would start a new thread on reports. Anyone been around the Spokane area to check the ice? I was planning a few trips this weekend if it's safe enough. Good Luck everyone....

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

RE:Ice Reports...

Post by TroutCowboy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:05 pm

As of the date of this report (http://washingtonlakes.com/ReportCommen ... 580&lid=10) the ice was not across all of Hog Canyon yet, but that could have changed with this cold snap. I would guess that even if it was iced all the way across it's still not thick enough to safely fish yet. That lake is not very deep either and sits down in a cold sink so I would think it'd be one of the earlier ones to freeze over.

Is Sprague a year-round lake? I think it's only around a dozen feet deep and out in the prairie subject to wind so it might be closer to a safe thickness.

I live right next to Newman but haven't driven by lately to check. It's a year-round lake too.

Great idea for a thread, I'm getting the itch to get out on the ice.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Yeah Sprague is a year rounder i think... There might be some different possession limits for the winter though.

Thanks for the report on Hog Canyon. I might be out there sooner of later. I'm a bit of a crappie/bass man though... so only if i get desperate =)

How is Newman on the crappie and bass through the ice? I know they're in there, but i've never been able to find any in the summer because I'm so unfamiliar with the area.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:44 am

Long lake is icing nicely...

Thats around 6" of clean solid ice. Walked on it yesterday, plan on ice skating on it this weekend.

Id like to head down to the other end to see if the trout are hanging out on the ice edge, but I think I might wait until the risk of icing the boat up to dangerous levels goes away. 15 miles cruising in 3F temps in water thats 35 degrees might not be the hottest idea. Should warm up into the 20s eventually...

E

hinds2912
Petty Officer

Post by hinds2912 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:01 am

Eloika is a good winter option just north of Spokane. Theres always perch and the occasional big bass caught through the ice. And after a couple years of size and catch limits on the crappie, they might finally make a winter appearance!

I had good luck this summer for Crappie at Newman but the areas I was fishing couldn't be any further from the launch! If theres no snow on the ice I might make the hike. Last year I fished near the launch because of 12" of snow on the ice and caught a few small perch but that was it.

Sprague was supposed to be replanted with Crappie and LMB fry this fall. So give it 2 years or so and then it will be a good panfish/bass lake again!

Silver is year-round also but its a deep lake near the access and will probably take awhile to get good ice. And again the best panfish structure is a bit of a hike from there.

Year round lakes.....Sprague, Newman, Silver, Long Lake (access can be and issue), Eloika....I'm sure theres more but that the ones off the top of my head. You can add Hog canyon and Fourth of July as winter only trout lakes.

Good luck! I'll be heading out soon!

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:11 am

Wow.. if there's 6" already on Long, there's probably a foot on Eloika. That lake was already starting to ice during Thanksgiving. I will head out there tomorrow and see if anyone has been out there yet and I'll post some pics.

Eloika was good on the crappies last spring and into the early summer, but they seem to be concentrated in a few spots and very picky. I did have some luck though. I limited twice and kept a few other times I went out. I also caught some lunker bass last year too. One day I was out there I caught probably 4-5 over 4lbs.

I'm off to break the auger and snowshoes out!

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 am

Good luck, and let us know how you did and where!

Here's some more info, sounds like Sprague is a good bet right now. But man, it's gotta be crazy cold out there on the flats.

WDFW Weekender Report
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

hinds2912
Petty Officer

Post by hinds2912 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:41 pm

I just checked Newman at the launch. The ice was 4" thick and clear as glass near shore (I drilled a hole and used a tape measure#-o ). I didn't check further out as I was short on time and my old ice auger sucks! It appeared that the lake was completely iced over. I'd say by the weekend the ice will be plenty safe to walk across the lake!

I'm sure Eloika has got to have safe ice already since its shallower, higher in elevation, and further north. With the exception of the spring fed hole that never ices over next to the public launch. Last year the lake had 8" of ice clear across but you still had to walk past that open spot. Spooky!

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:58 pm

Went up to Eloika today for a few hours to check the ice and the bite. Was a short trip seeing I forgot something to sit on #-o there was about 8 1/2'' of ice everywhere I drilled. I didn't go too far from the landing...maybe 300yds. I will bring my skis with me tomorrow and head up to the North end of the lake where there's more chance of finding some crappies.

like I said...it was a short trip. maybe 3 hours. In that time I think i had 2 dozen or so perch and one keeper bass I let back. All caught on a white ice jig with a red eye and hook. I tip the hook with a small trailer (usually used for jigs or spinnerbaits, but i cut them down to 1.5") on it so it shoots of horizontally in the water for good effect when jigging (Used this trick often for HUGE gills in Wisconsin) Usually a chartreuse, orange, or red work during the day and I switch to maggots and glow-in-the-dark jigs toward evening. Brighter during the day...

Ok now you know all of my tricks....any good Washington ice tricks for crappie or BIGGER perch...

Only 2 other people on the lake. One Russian couple were keeping fish so I gave them a few keeper perch, but he had a 15" or better perch on the ice. Looked like they were keeping anything though compared to the 6" lying frozen next to it. mmm...fishsticks

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:59 am

aaron42ash wrote:
like I said...it was a short trip. maybe 3 hours. In that time I think i had 2 dozen or so perch and one keeper bass I let back. All caught on a white ice jig with a red eye and hook. I tip the hook with a small trailer (usually used for jigs or spinnerbaits, but i cut them down to 1.5") on it so it shoots of horizontally in the water for good effect when jigging (Used this trick often for HUGE gills in Wisconsin) Usually a chartreuse, orange, or red work during the day and I switch to maggots and glow-in-the-dark jigs toward evening. Brighter during the day...
Could you expand what you mean by a small trailer that was added to the hook. If it clears up a bit with the snow I might head out there this weekend as well.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 am

well so much for doing anything today.... maybe saturday. Where do you usually hit Kfedka? Right off the launch, or do you walk a bit?

ok well i use a spoon jig and when I tip the jig the trailer or tail or whatever you wanna call it makes a L in the water. i will just put some pics up when i can get out to my Jeep. You can buy the trailers at the General Store in the back by the rod section. They are called crappie or trout worms depending on which color you get. they come in a small package and in packs of about 12. They are usually good earlier in the ice season and during the day. Like I said, the close to evening I get I switch to maggots, and I do the same later in the season.

Ok...I'll put some snowshoes on and head out to the truck

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:12 pm

Last couple years I fished north of the main parking lot, maybe couple hundred yards out. Caught some dink perch and bluegill.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:47 pm

Hit Eloika again today... went to the north end this time where there is a bit more depth 8ft or so. We waded through about 3 foot of snow the entire time and didnt make it far from Jerry's Landing. I think we were about 300 yds out and to the north. Anyway...same fish different day really. Had 3 dozen or so perch, 4 bass between 10-14 inches and only one crappie right before dark. The guy at Jerry's said early morning or at dusk is best for crappies. we'll see if we ever get a break from the snow and I'll try closer to evening.

Sorry I haven't taken any picture of the Jig i was talking about....maybe soon? i dont know. we'll see if I stop being lazy.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:52 am

how big were the perch? any keepers? i am debating making the long drive up there (from liberty lake) this afternoon but the weather is getting more sour by the minute.

anybody hit newman lately? it's much closer and a year-round lake.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 am

the perch at Eloika the other day were...not that great. maybe 10 inchers.

On the other hand I went out yesterday closer to dark and caught 4 keeper perch around 13" and a few keeper crappies and maybe 4 bass over 10"...that was fun on that little UL ice-fishing rod. The ice is really messy though because of all of the snow. every time I drilled a hole water came gushing out and put about 1" of water over the ice, but I would say it is safe enough anywhere on the lake I have been. still 7 or so inches of ice everywhere.

So it was better yesterday...finally.It might be worth the drive for you after all. Maggots caught the most fish but my jigs with the trailers caught the larger fish. You have a snowmobile Cowboy? might be handy....

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:58 pm

ok here's a link to the trailers I put on my jigs.... like I said, you can find them at the general store, but this link takes you to cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0037308.shtml

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:31 pm

hey thanks for posting that picture. i am going to try to get out this weekend, maybe to eloika since you're doing pretty well there.

i sure wish i had a powered sled to get out onto the ice, but i walk in towing all my stuff on one of my kid's sleds. self-propelled! haha it can sure be tough going in the deep stuff, huh? if you choose to walk the established trails your sled gets all jacked up in the ruts and/or tips over. if you choose to blaze your own trail it's exhausting post-holing thru the deep stuff.

would sure be worth it to bring some home for some fish & chips!
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:09 pm

well take it easy out there this weekend. I went out again today and there was a foot of snow and slush and water under it. made the walking really difficult. The ice also seems to be a bit thinner in places. I would say it has lost about 3 inches of ice since all of the snow started. It must be insulating the water. so...not ideal. I hope it rains them gets really cold so it all freezes up again.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:18 am

Hey TroutCowboy.... I read your post and it's good to hear there is still a bit of ice left after the warm snap. Also, tell your friend I'm sorry about that... I got between the docks about 10 feet from shore and could hear the stream at full force so I drilled a hole to test the ice =/ oops hope it doesn't swallow anyone else

Anyone been on any lakes other than Eloika? I love to go there, but it's time to switch some things up a bit and I have a buddy coming over from Seattle who I wanted to introduce sitting on a block of ice all day to.

Rozman
Petty Officer

Post by Rozman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 am

Aaron I was out on Silver Lake(Spokane County) the other day. Caught a bunch of dink perch. Ice was not the greatest. I am going to wait for our next cool down and then get back out there for crappies and trout.
Fish and men are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouth!!