fishing spots in S/N Dakota, Wy, Id, Mon. etc??

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rancocasrich
Petty Officer

fishing spots in S/N Dakota, Wy, Id, Mon. etc??

Post by rancocasrich » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:29 am

Folks, we are driving to the Olympic Peninsula from the Midwest in June/July to visit our daughter. It will be a leisurely vacation drive and we will stop when and where we choose. Since we will be driving through some of the best and most beautiful fishing spots in the USA, does anyone have places to recommend for me to seek out for fishing? We are new to this area of the country and would appreciate any opinions, ideas, recommendations, considerations etc. Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education." Mark Twain

G-Man
Admiral

RE:fishing spots in S/N Dakota, Wy, Id, Mon. etc??

Post by G-Man » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:46 am

Would you be bringing along any type of floating device from which to fish or would you be looking at shore fishing and/or boat rentals only? For that time of year, finding good shore fishing can be difficult. The lowland waters in Washington State will have warmed up and the trout will be in the deeper water, the panfish will be closer to shore, the walleye will be off their post spawn bite and you'll be in between the Spring and Fall salmon runs. Our alpine lakes will be hitting their stride, but are mostly off the beaten path. However, if you like bass fishing then this is prime time for many folks and there are many great places in Washington to fish for them, but it really helps if you have a boat, float tube or pontoon boat. If you have an idea of the route you will be taking, let us know and we'll give you a few lakes/rivers/streams that you can hit up along the way. If you can swing your trip through the Southern part of our state you should seriously look at a guided trip on the Columbia river. A sturgeon, walleye or salmon caught down there has the potential to be a fish of a lifetime.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:34 pm

The suggestions for great waters is almost endless. Since your headed for the Olympics,I strongly suggest
Lake Cresent. The fishing is hit and mis but the scenery alone is worth it IMHO. It also has the Beardsley which
is only native here,with a depth of over 600ft it can take awhile to locate fish but I don't think you'll be disapointed.
This is one of my favorites.. I have a few other suggestions but limited on time at the moment.
The WL folks will have plenty of ideas for you as well.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:31 pm

This is a great website for Montana Waters, both lakes and streams.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:05 pm

I am living in Southern Wy and there are some good places to fish! If you want big trout on the fly you got to hit the Miricle mile on the North Platte I have a friend who had 2 guys go down there and get 8-9 fish per pole per hour from 16-20 inches some bigger. In Northern Wyoming I got a secret spot I would have to give you a secret family map:-" I would for sure hit Yellow stone there is good fishing plus so many other things. If you getr ahold of me in advance we could meet up and fish a private lake I know.

tight lines,
TAZ
ps pm me with any questions
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:21 am

Montana the Big Sky Country is one of the Best:cheers: in rugged Beauty and the Flathead River Basin:bounce: is awesome and gave me this in 2005!!!!
Fish on!:brilsmurf
Attachments
100_3461.JPG
100_3461.JPG (38.37 KiB) Viewed 2591 times

rancocasrich
Petty Officer

Post by rancocasrich » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:10 am

Folks, Thanks for the responses so far. I am already totally excited and wish this trip wasn't 6 months away.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:02 pm

Flathead river.:-# the lakes near her make Montana a must see and do yearly.
The Big Sky country gives more then just fish.:bigsmurf: :cheers: Late March 2005
Attachments
Montana_2006.jpg
Montana_2006.jpg (124.8 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
montana_2005_flatheadriver.jpg
montana_2005_flatheadriver.jpg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
Montana_winter_2005.jpg
Montana_winter_2005.jpg (54.33 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

The Bitteroot system just outside of Missoula is productive. This is my buddy with a nice brown caught in March of 2006.
Attachments
LukesFeesh.jpg
LukesFeesh.jpg (257.77 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

rancocasrich
Petty Officer

Post by rancocasrich » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Folks, Merry Christmas to all! My research so far seems to indicate I need to develop some expertise in flyfishing. As a practicing "spinnerman", can I get that done? Any suggestions besides just doing it? Thanks

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:02 am

I'm sure you are all over it rancocasrich, but make sure to double check all your regs, especially in MT and ID. Some special regs on certain bodies. What is your route?? I-80 to I-94?? I-80 to I-90?? I-80 to I-84??
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

rancocasrich
Petty Officer

Post by rancocasrich » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:16 pm

Rollin, I have already changed our route several times based on the research I am doing. I see us on Route 90 into Washington but not sure about the route before that. From the costs of the guided float trips I am seeing, it looks less and less that I can afford to pay that much $$$$. I will continue the research and appreciate the folks who send advice and suggestions.

rancocasrich
Petty Officer

Post by rancocasrich » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for having a good fishing experience without paying the price of an all day guided trip. If I were sharing the cost with someone, that would be the way to go, but I am taking my wife and must pay the full fare of at least $450.00 (it seems). I appreciate all that a guided trip provides and the fish that can be caught, but that will have to be for another time. Can I find spots where I can fish from the shore/riverbank or rent a small boat on one of the lakes? I will fish and I will have fun and hope that forum folks may have some ideas for me. Thanks again.

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”