Fish upstream or downstream?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bigastrout
Commander

Fish upstream or downstream?

Post by bigastrout » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:47 am

When fishing streams what do you think is a better strategy... Fishing from downstream and working to upstream or vice versa and why?
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:Fish upstream or downstream?

Post by jmay » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 am

I grew up fishing rivers and have had the best luck standing purpendicular to the target, casting up stream to get a dead drift

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:07 am

I cast up stream. The reason I do this is because, I don't fly fish so I use a lot of spinners, I also like to use the lightest gear possible, so a lot of times the current over powers my lure and kind of pushes it out of the water when reeling against the current

glastron876
Petty Officer

Post by glastron876 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 pm

I would cast upstream and drift downstream if fly fishing.

QUESTION: when fish rest don't they face semi-upstream/upstream ? (Not being a smart-alek, just a logical question I think)

SO - If your fly is drifting downstream - towards them & facing them - then they would target in on it easier & longer vs. casting downstream, going against the current and by them from behind ?
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:37 pm

I guess my question needs some clarification... What I am really asking about is working from pool to pool is it better to wade upstream or downstream...
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Since you use the term "wading", here are my thoughts. Anytime you step into a river or stream, you are going to disturb the bottom and sand, silt and other debris will be uplifted from the bottom and carried down with the current. 8-[ When this passes over and through a fish's feeding lane, it is foreign and will disturb him and cause him to move. At least that is my theory. So, to keep the feeding lane or pool undisturbed, I work my way up stream.o:)

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:54 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Since you use the term "wading", here are my thoughts. Anytime you step into a river or stream, you are going to disturb the bottom and sand, silt and other debris will be uplifted from the bottom and carried down with the current. 8-[ When this passes over and through a fish's feeding lane, it is foreign and will disturb him and cause him to move. At least that is my theory. So, to keep the feeding lane or pool undisturbed, I work my way up stream.o:)
Good Point Marc Thanks.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:51 pm

glastron876 wrote:I would cast upstream and drift downstream if fly fishing.

QUESTION: when fish rest don't they face semi-upstream/upstream ? (Not being a smart-alek, just a logical question I think)

SO - If your fly is drifting downstream - towards them & facing them - then they would target in on it easier & longer vs. casting downstream, going against the current and by them from behind ?
That is a good question. This is what I have observed:

Fish do rest in the current with their tail downstream. They do that for several reasons.

First, if they turned their tail upstream, they would not have any control in holding a location. Kind of like trying to fly a kite up wind. It is much more difficult to get an airplane airborne and controling it taking off down wind.

Second, the food is running down the stream. All they have to do is wait for it to come by.:thumleft:

Third, they get oxygen easier. The water flows through the mouth and out the gills. Less effort to get oxygen.

Now, the only time that I have seen a fish rest facing downstream is when it is laying behind a boulder. When the water hits the rock, it will go around both sides. On the downstream side of the rock, the water will form a vortex, swirling back towards the back side of the rock. In that case, the current is reversed and the fish will sit facing downstream. As the food swirls around the rock, he can easily see and grab it. Hope you aren't totally confused:-s

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:41 am

I always work upstream..... Even when I'm fishing the larger streams in a canoe or drift boat I'll drift over the fish and then cast upstream. If its a long run or riffle I'll pass over the spot I want to fish then get out of the boat use a short section of rope to tie the canoe to my belt and then work my way upstream. When fly fishing I used to sort of quarter my cast upstream and then let it drift, mending as required, but I watched some tv shows about fiy fishing Idaho and Montana streams and those guys tend to work the riffles straight upstream.... they will stand right in the riffle or as close as they can get to the middle of the stream and cast straight upstream working the fly slightly faster than the current...... seems a bit odd when first you try it but it actually works.....

Marc provided all the best reasons to work and cast upstream but there is one more.... When you work downstream (unless you're casting plugs) the current is just going to force your lure or fly to the surface... no way to get a natural drift... working and casting upstream is the only way to go...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:31 am

Everyone who has chimed in has made great points, BUT, every rule has exceptions. You can effectivly fish a down steam presentation it just takes practice and stealth since the fish look upstream. While fishing a river I have had fish feed less than 10 feet behind me on the surface. Do I get out and walk down below him,no, I just give him a fly on a down stream presentation which with practice can be more effective. In a lot of clear springs in Montana the fish get leader shy so the best way to fish them is a down stream presentation, you donot spook the fish with the leader landing near him, again stealth plays a role here. As far as disturbing the bottom this is another rule that has exceptions. If fish are surface feeding or if they are feeding in slow back waters, disturbed water will bother them. Again though if I come to a pool and there is no surface activity I will nymph the hole from down stream and then wade the upper most part of the leading riffle. This will discharge food into the stream and can encourage a feeding frenzy under the surface. After doing this and assuming my casting position I have had fish actually feed just inches from my wading boots. My biggest rainbow on flyrod out of the Madison river was hooked just 3 feet in front of me were I just waded from,7lbs,28.5 inches. My statements as well as others are just tools to keep in your arsenal because sometimes you just need to mix it up and go away from the "norm"! Oh yeah if fish are surface feeding never, never float over them as littleriver suggests. That can put fish down for a long time. I love when people do that, cause I will just watch them fish with no luck and move out. I will then wait until a fish hits the surface, usually 1/2hr or longer and then I will procede to just pound them. I did just this on the CDA river last weekend and landed over 60 fish in just 4hrs of fishing. People in boats I talked to were having a horrible day. Only if they knew how to row a boat! hehehe

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I always try to fish upstream while flying. If I'm using a spinner or bait I will fish downstream.
I agree completely with fish4brains and there are always exceptions.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;