Anyone ever fish this little lake?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cobrar543
Lieutenant

Anyone ever fish this little lake?

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:14 am

I work at Smokey Point Buick, and across the I-5 is a little man made lake called Gissberg twin lakes, there an old gravel pit that filled in a long time ago according to the state. They also say they are stocked with Bass, Perch, Bullheads and trout. I was wonder if any of you guys have tryed it. I am getting my fresh water license this week and am going to go on my lunch and the days i have to wait for the wife to get off work. Let me know if you have any pointers for this cute little lake/pond.
Doug
http://www.nwsource.com/travel/washingt ... ounty-park
Is this a Juvi only lake?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Anyone ever fish this little lake?

Post by racfish » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am

I see them all the time off I5 .I never knew they were stocked.I know in the summer months its a big and very used swimming hole.There must be some fish in them cuz they always seem so clean.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 am

go to the lake reports index and you will see what's going on.
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportList.aspx?id=634
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 am

Ya, there are Picnic tables, parkig spots..a trail around the whole thing.. but there is nothing on it here. Thats not the same pond Quad..

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:34 pm

It used to be my favorite place to fish 3-4 years ago, until I got tired of making the 45 minute drive from the Renton area.

It is good in March-May when it gets a nice stock of rainbows and triploids. The trout fishing starts dying off by July onward as the water warms up.

I've fished it a few times in the winter months--forget about it. Nothing biting. Wait until the first trout plants which is usually early March.

There are some decent bass in these ponds, but I have never targeted them. There are also some small bluegill.

Most of the fishing is from shore, but you can have lots of fun from a float tube or small inflatable.

BTW the north pond is juvenile fishing only. The south pond is open to everyone. The better fishing has always been in the south pond anyways.

Look in the regs under Gissburg Ponds for the specifics.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:46 pm

If you are talking about the small body of water south of the twin ponds, I've never fished that or heard of anyone fishing that. I believe that area was dug there maybe 2 years ago for water retention. I have the ability to check on that and let you know. I'm interested in knowing if you catch anything in that body of water. The ponds are open year round and as mentioned already the north pond is restricted to juveniles under 15 yoa. Good luck.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 pm

I drove by the ponds on my way to and from work for 22 years. It was easy to tell when the state planted the ponds as the parking lots were full at 6:30 AM. South pond is for adults and the north pond is for kids. They do write tickets to adults on the north pond. I fly fished the S pond a lot before going to work testing new fly patterns that I'd tied. Lots of planter trout, small bass, and small panfish. The ponds get warm in the summer so the trout are muddy tasting if you keep them. One good thing about warm summer weather is that it would really bring out a good bikini hatch!
Life's short - fish hard!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 am

cobrar543 wrote:I work at Smokey Point Buick, and across the I-5 is a little man made lake called Gissberg twin lakes, there an old gravel pit that filled in a long time ago according to the state. They also say they are stocked with Bass, Perch, Bullheads and trout. I was wonder if any of you guys have tryed it. I am getting my fresh water license this week and am going to go on my lunch and the days i have to wait for the wife to get off work. Let me know if you have any pointers for this cute little lake/pond.
Doug
http://www.nwsource.com/travel/washingt ... ounty-park
Is this a Juvi only lake?
I believe they are Kids only lakes. To add to the list there are cats in there too. Take a kid to the lake.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:39 am

Hey Cobrar, like Wolverine said the North lake is juvenile only with the southern lake open to everyone. No launch of course but you can hand launch/drag a canoe or car topper. I see quite a few guys out in float tubes and pontoons in the spring time. They even have RC Hydroplane races out there at times.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:30 am

Gissberg ponds are on my successfully fished lakes list for bass. Not lunkers but I have caught a few bass there. I carried a canoe over and fished from that as well as from the shoreline.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle