Pics from Neah Bay

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JT26
Commander

Pics from Neah Bay

Post by JT26 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:31 pm

We went to neah bay about a month ago and heres some of the pictures.

bigastrout
Commander

RE:Pics from Neah Bay

Post by bigastrout » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:25 pm

Looks like you had a great time!!
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

Jacob
Warrant Officer

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:44 pm

nice halibut, did that cabezon have blue or green meat? its weird, all the ones ive caught did, but when you cook em they turn white. anyways nice fish, im hopin to get up in the sekiu/neah bay area this summer myself.

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

Post by Easy Limits » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:50 am

I love Neah Bay. Too bad it's a six hour drive. Cool pictures!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 am

good fishing , looks like everyone had sore arms fishy hands and plenty of smiles that day ..thats what its all about ... great catch !!

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:48 am

looks tasty! big cab man

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Jacob wrote:nice halibut, did that cabezon have blue or green meat? its weird, all the ones ive caught did, but when you cook em they turn white. anyways nice fish, im hopin to get up in the sekiu/neah bay area this summer myself.
the cabazons meat wasnt that much blue. Just enough to tell it apart from the other types of fish.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:13 am

Bloody decks! Gotta love it. Sweet pix JT26, thanks for sharing. Now you have us all jealous and waiting for the invitation to help you fill that cooler back up.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 am

Nice work out there! :cheers: And sweet boat! :cheers: :cheers:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Fishin_Freak
Angler

Post by Fishin_Freak » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:41 pm

JT are there any other area's up here that has that quality of fishing so I dont have to drive so far? How deep were you fishing and were you using lures with scent or squid strips on them? Squid is the killer bait in Cali for anything saltwater. My biggest fish to date was a 35 pound Halibut on my tiny 5'6" baitcaster with 12 pound test.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:10 am

We go to neah bay because we dont know of other quality fishing in Washington saltwater :( But, if you like catching flounder, you can catch them around Dash Point (near Federal Way) and directly across the sound from the des moines marina and a little south, near the point at Maury Island. You can see on google maps.

At neah bay, we fished from 40 to 60 feet with jigs my dad made, unscented though, for seabass.
For halibut we fished about 400ft with chuncks of squid and herring.

also, thats amazing! 12lb test? how hard was it to land it, how long did it take?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fishin_Freak
Angler

Post by Fishin_Freak » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi JT,

Sorry for not getting back sooner to you. Work is tough right now.

Anyway 12lb test held up fine but I would use Vanish or Ande Tournament green line. Most of my rods were at least 6'6" tall and with either Abu Garcia 5500C's or 6500C's. I also had two Inshore rods from Allstar with either a Garcia tournament reel or one of those $$$ Shimano's on it. Those two had 15lb test on one and the other had 20lb if I fished at night. Lure wise we use 3/8's or 1/2 ounce jigheads with Kalin grubs in 5" size with a strip of squid about 4" long and 1/2" wide. We fished those up to about 40' deep and if we were deeper we used out 20 pound rods with up to 1 1/2 ounce jigheads with bigger bodies. I also fished a Carolina rig out there up to 75 feet deep for the stuborn fish looking for a lighter line.
If you decide to try it you can get most everything thru Bass Pro Shops.