anyone squidding yet?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Aintskunked
Petty Officer

anyone squidding yet?

Post by Aintskunked » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:28 pm

Well ive been told by a few people that they are starting to get some squid. Was curious if anyone else has been out and how they have done. i think I may run down to Les Davis and give it a try tonight

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:anyone squidding yet?

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:06 am

it is getting to be that time of year. Let us know how you do.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:52 pm

:scratch: the squid have been heavy all summer long off of the redondo pier during the day and during the evening, but as soon as fall hit they dissapeared. wierd, cause this is the time they should start showing. i was out there today and didn't see or catch any.:-k
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Its been fairly good with larger squid bout now.I talked with Mariah at Lincs.Shes been selling a fair ammount of jigs this moth.I havent been yet but will be very soon.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 pm

How do you catch squid, and what do you do with them? Curious....

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:02 am

crappiemaster wrote:How do you catch squid, and what do you do with them? Curious....
you will need a ultra light to medium action spinning combo and some squid jigs something like this>>>>>>>>> Image
you can purchase them at almost any sporting goods store i find the ones from actual "hole in the wall" bait stores work better, you can use 1, 2, or 3 in tandem then cast out and fish just off the bottom when one takes the jig you will only feel dead weight and just reel em up.. watch out cause they will ink ya. night time off of the lighted piers is best october-december. if there is no light u can rig up your own light many different ways. some people use a car battery and lamp others use 10,000,000 candle light battery operated lamps tied to a rope hung about 3 feet above the water. some people like myself just use the light from the pier. what i do with them is eat the body deep fried and keep the tenicles and fins for fish and crab bait. hope this helps ya out good luck and dress warm..:cheers:
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:59 pm

do u guys feel like bringing your own light makes a big difference?

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:15 pm

bpm2000 wrote:do u guys feel like bringing your own light makes a big difference?
to be honest, the guys with their lights seem to do better than those without lights, and sometimes they will be cool and let u use the same light they are using
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:01 pm

The guys with lights dont own the docks.If they are squidding off a public pier then anyone can fish anywhere w/o asking for permission.I hate it on the piers when peeps think they own their area.They dont and its public.I do take a floating flashlight and do my own thing if they are being jerks about it.If they have gennys or tapping city power dosent matter.Its a public pier.
Chris those are good jigs but I find most folks like the Japanese style jigs better.Go to Lincs Tackle and Honda on Rainier Ave. South and ask them to see their jigs.I usually put an older jig I dont care if I lose on the bottom and a much newer one on top so when you hook bottom which you will do eventually you only lose the old one.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Great info.

I for one have never squided....but I like to pursue new things. I have always read about squiding, and know nothing about it. One question for you folks.....Do you think squid would be way up here (Area 8-1/7)?? I would love to give this a try, but don't want to drive all the way down to Seattle. (actually, now that I think about it, I will be in SoDo all day and evening Sunday working....anybody wanna hit a pier Sunday evening/night??) Anyway, are there squid near me, and if so, has anybody had any luck??
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:23 am

racfish wrote: Chris those are good jigs but I find most folks like the Japanese style jigs better..
good point but i couldn't find a picture of those japanesse style jigs but thats what i meant by "hole in the wall" bait stores they always seem to have them. :cheers:
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:38 am

Where are people catching them now? I haven't seen anyone squiding in Edmonds. Last year I didn't go because I couldn't find my squid jigs after I had secretly and stupidly hid them from myself. After I moved to my new house I found the jigs and now nobody is bringing any light to the pier (I don't own generator therefore no light.)

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:28 pm

here is what i use in all different colors Image
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:21 am

But where oh where do the squidies lye... oh where oh where be the squidieees.

I want to go squiding I want to get inked but I lack a generator.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm

Gonefishing wrote:But where oh where do the squidies lye... oh where oh where be the squidieees.

I want to go squiding I want to get inked but I lack a generator.
they are off of the piers my friend.. and no need for a generator, most piers don't allow them anyways just gotta go for it right at dark and through the wee hours of the night nothing like being inked in 40 degree weather lol :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:12 pm

I know nothing of the subject but my friend was asking me if there are any good areas to go squiding in olympia?
BMD