A good year for Crappie

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hinds2912
Petty Officer

A good year for Crappie

Post by hinds2912 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:09 pm

I had a great year of Crappie fishing and it was almost in my backyard. Every time I went out, I managed to find them and catch a few near 12". A tube jig baited with a piece of Gulp did the trick it was the depth and location that seemed to change every time!

Oh yeah, in case you were wondering I was fishing Newman Lake in Spokane.
Attachments
resized_crappie.JPG
resized_crappie.JPG (401.32 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
Admiral

RE:A good year for Crappie

Post by G-Man » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Good to hear you had a great year for crappie. Crappie were over fished in this state when I was growing up. I remember catching cooler fulls and spending hours cleaning them. Now most lakes have reasonable size and catch limits and I can see that they are making a comeback, even in some of our Westside lakes. Keep up the good work and see if you can't catch a few through the ice as well!

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:33 am

hinds2912,
First of all welcome to WL.com. We have a great site here with lots of information just for the asking. I've fished Newman several times and have come up empty every time. I am however using a fly rod. I'm in the Liberty Lake area and only a few miles from Newman, so maybe we'll run into each other one time.
Again, Welcome.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:33 am

Thats interesting because we had a strong perch and bass year on Long lake in Spokane, but the crappie never really showed up in the numbers we see or in their usual haunts.

E

wmaxwell48
Warrant Officer

Post by wmaxwell48 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:41 pm

So, hinds2912,

You got board with Walleye and had to have a hook and worm fix? See you on NWWalleye. Hey are you going to join in the Freeze Out at the end of February at Seton Groves?

hinds2912
Petty Officer

Post by hinds2912 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Well...you caught me, wm...I was cheating on Mrs. Walleye with Ms. Crappie. I blame the gas prices....they drove me into the arms of a closer fish!:-"

On a more serious note, I am hoping to go this year to the February Freeze Out (aka FFO) at the Roof (Rufus Woods has more than just triploids on the lam from the net pens!). Hopefully these lower gas prices will stick around until then so I can make it!

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”