Strike indicators

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Geoffrey Ring
Petty Officer

Strike indicators

Post by Geoffrey Ring » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 am

With Dec. 1 fast approaching, I've started to get my fly gear ready for whitefish season on my home stream. I've messed around with nymphing before, but I'm determined to really get into using nymphs this winter. I read that whitefish hold in the deeper pools this time of year, so I think that dead drifting under an indicator would be the best bet for getting my fly down and keeping it down. Is this a correct assumption?
But my main question is this: How do you put on a strike indicator, and then how do you get it off? I bought a few of those ones that look like figure-8's with a sticky side, which you fold over the line so that it looks like a circle. Last time I used one I ended up cutting it off when I was ready to go back to dries, minding not to nick the line, but this was messy and left a bunch of glue on the line. It was too sticky to just pull apart...
So well, thats it for now. Hope some one can help)) ^^

swedefish4life1
Admiral

RE:Strike indicators

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 am

The best white fish killers and trout and metalheads love as well:-$ =tipped with maggots or a small part of worm .
Lights out deadly from Eastern Wa,Idaho and Wa
Give me a sec looking for my white fish flies in a file base? Blonde lol
Personally light sliding slinky and ground and pound the bottom where they are with these applications, you will hook, white fish, jumbo trout and plenty of metalheads just drift fishing these:bom: :cheers: :compress:
Attachments
whiteies1.jpg
whiteies1.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
gear82.jpg
gear82.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
gear59.jpg
gear59.jpg (42.04 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:48 am

I think corkies would work well. Double the line, put it through the corky and wedge a toothpick in. Should hold well and easy to remove. Click HERE.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:39 pm

After using everything from tape, colored yarn, to hard bobbers I've settled on "thingamabobbers". You can find them in most of the fly shops or at Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

They float high, are bright colored, easy on the leader, easy on easy off, and come in different sizes. I use them whenever I bobber fish with the bug rod. From cronies in the lakes to white springs in the Vedder. Different fish different bobber (OK let me correct my terminology for my purist fly fishing friends "INDICATOR" LOL!
Life's short - fish hard!

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:44 am

wolverine wrote: After using everything from tape, colored yarn, to hard bobbers I've settled on "thingamabobbers". You can find them in most of the fly shops or at Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

They float high, are bright colored, easy on the leader, easy on easy off, and come in different sizes. I use them whenever I bobber fish with the bug rod. From cronies in the lakes to white springs in the Vedder. Different fish different bobber (OK let me correct my terminology for my purist fly fishing friends "INDICATOR" LOL!

Thingamabobbers work amazing! Although I don't like using indicators, for those that need them, this is definately one of the best availible out on the market!
Pressin' Fish On!

Geoffrey Ring
Petty Officer

Post by Geoffrey Ring » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:16 am

Well! Thnx for all the tips and whatnot. So now I've gone out and tryed nymphing a bit, and well, I'm really gunna have to work on my patience. XD I've been spoiled by a summer of dry fishing for bows and brooks that readily take the fly on the first drift. :P The weather is good tho, and today I'll hit the water earlier with a better idea of what NOT to do that really frustrated me yesterday. Maybe I'll bring thr loppers with me and take care of that stupid branch that messes up my backcast.. lol ^^

So thnx again, I 'preciate it)))

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:20 pm

i say try fly fishing for steelhead o the north fork of the stillagumish river!
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:21 pm

and i did for get whitefish! cutts and rainbow trout! and some late salmon!
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”