How Do You Setup A "Corky" And Yarn?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:How Do You Setup A "Corky" And Yarn?

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:39 am

Toni wrote:
I know makes no sense at all. I have caught more off these corkies than eggs, so far in my career.
This is your job? Where do I apply?

This is all good info, looks like I'll be river fishing soon since I probably wont be able to get my boat into Tapps before next spring.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:07 am

RaMcVey wrote:
Toni wrote:
I know makes no sense at all. I have caught more off these corkies than eggs, so far in my career.

This is all good info, looks like I'll be river fishing soon since I probably wont be able to get my boat into Tapps before next spring.
Maybe it comes easy for you but I work hard to catch salmon. Work hard=career.
ca·reer (k-rîr) A chosen pursuit
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

matador
Petty Officer

Post by matador » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:58 pm

I heard corky and yarn setups are effective because the line flosses through the fishes mouth. The yarn sticks to the teeth or slides through the gill plates this is when you feel the fish. When you set the hook your basically just snaggin it in the mouth or outside of the mouth. The fish is not actually biting at the corky and yarn. I've noticed that anglers that use light pound test line and a longer leader seem to be more effective so it would make sense to me this is what is happening. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Toni wrote:
RaMcVey wrote:
Toni wrote:

Maybe it comes easy for you but I work hard to catch salmon. Work hard=career.
ca·reer (k-rîr) A chosen pursuit
I agree I would say I usually cover anywhere from 2+ miles each time I fish for salmon/steelhead. Last coho I caught took me about 4 mile of walking round trip.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:33 pm

matador wrote:I heard corky and yarn setups are effective because the line flosses through the fishes mouth. The yarn sticks to the teeth or slides through the gill plates this is when you feel the fish. When you set the hook your basically just snaggin it in the mouth or outside of the mouth. The fish is not actually biting at the corky and yarn. I've noticed that anglers that use light pound test line and a longer leader seem to be more effective so it would make sense to me this is what is happening. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Fish (salmon/steelhead) will take corky and yarn, especially with some sandshrimp/eggs on em.......But yes, many folks lengthen their leader and get rid of the corky and fish yarn, and this technique is called flossing. If you see people flinging long leaders (5+ feet) and ripping them through shallow riffles, they are flossing....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Toni wrote:I don't use those.
What weight is your leader and main line?
I am thinking that the leader is really light compared to the main line and weight, so that when casting the weight heads out first and the leader and hook stay behind the weight. tangling in the mainline.

Maybe it is also the speed of your cast? Do you have a baitcasting reel or spinning?
Those are the only things I can think of right now. I can not remember it ever happening to me.
I'm using 6# Trilene 100% FC on main and leader.

My partner is using 8#.

We're both on spinning gear. Leader is roughly 2 ft long.

I didnt know exactly what to buy. So I bought these premade ones thinking it would be easier....:-"

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I haven't ever used FC before but the weight might be to much. I use 3/16 solid core pencil lead but at about 1-1 1/2 inches. The picture of the swivel you were using says for 1/4 lead.
It really depends on the flow of the river. How fast the current is.
Try using 3/4 inch piece of lead and see if that takes care of the problem.
What river did you fish?
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 pm

Toni wrote:I haven't ever used FC before but the weight might be to much. I use 3/16 solid core pencil lead but at about 1-1 1/2 inches. The picture of the swivel you were using says for 1/4 lead.
It really depends on the flow of the river. How fast the current is.
Try using 3/4 inch piece of lead and see if that takes care of the problem.
What river did you fish?

We've tried the Green, just north of the 277th bridge.

We also tried the Puyallup, but i think it's actually the Carbon at where we were. We went all the way out to Orting I believe. Not the bridge by the gun club. But the bridge just south of that. I think on 128th?

Anyways, were were out on the rock bed walking north from the bridge. Tried all up and down that area with spinners and a bit of cork/yarn. No luck. We saw a HUGE dead carcass in the water. Dont know what kind of fish it was. We did hear 1 large slash, but other than that. Nothing. Didnt see any. Water too cloudy.

Since the Green is now open higher up, we're going to attempt the Flaming Gyser area if the weather is decent later on.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:39 pm

It does sound like you might be using a little too much weight.
You were on the Puyallup. The Carbon's mouth is a mile or 2 south of were you were.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:33 pm

Toni wrote:It does sound like you might be using a little too much weight.
You were on the Puyallup. The Carbon's mouth is a mile or 2 south of were you were.
Hmmm, I think we were there also. After we got done fishing. Since we were just in the area. We decided to just drive around and see what else is out there. Headed South, or maybe it's SE on what I believe is Highway 162. We pulled over at this bridge. It's a park or something. Walked under the bridge and got to the river just to look around. A little bit to the left, there's 2 rivers flowing into one.

That must be it.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 pm

FishingFool wrote:
Toni wrote:It does sound like you might be using a little too much weight.
Hmmm, I think we were there also. After we got done fishing. Since we were just in the area. We decided to just drive around and see what else is out there. Headed South, or maybe it's SE on what I believe is Highway 162. We pulled over at this bridge. It's a park or something. Walked under the bridge and got to the river just to look around. A little bit to the left, there's 2 rivers flowing into one.

That must be it.
That is it!
You did mean a little bit of parking area?
Oh ya, that is just the Carbon entering the Puyallup. You were still on the (little) Puyallup.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:24 pm

FishingFool wrote: And I didnt even bother asking the kids at Joe's.
Good grief.... I just got back from Joe's. I knew better the whole time driving there, to just say no and do it. Then when I get there, there is 1 guy working in the fishing section.... but he doesn't fish!! Never again.](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:30 pm

I am going out to do my first drift fishing on a river pretty much, on Monday. Going to the Green river. I've read this corky thread pretty closley, and it is an excellent thread and helpful. But I did not see any info. as far as what color corkies to use?? Can someone be specific as to the size for this time of year also.

Thank much.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:58 pm

Hot pink, green or chartruese. they only have to be big enough to float your hook:cheers:

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:35 pm

I only use the 2 smallest sizes for corkies. I do believe that each river and each fish like it different. I went to the Puyallup yesterday and hooked a mess of gear. Most had orange corkies.
I have heard that green works for chums. I haven't caught one so I don't know. I have heard red works for silvers. I have caught mine on pink this year (beginning of Sept.).
If the water is cloudy go with the larger size or use 2 small ones.
The Green has winter steelhead - try cerise and hot pink.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Corkies and yarn= 500 strong pre loaded 44 pips locked and loaded and zero lead bangs and hangs, (slinkies):cheers: much more forgiving and rig them slinky first on your main line, then a bead, tie off to barrel swivel then your leader and set up to the other end of your barrel swivel .:bounce:
The (no snag):-# weights posted also sweet as well rubber coated zero noise and bottom tip bounce indicator we use them often:cheers:
Attachments
gear28.jpg
gear28.jpg (65.8 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
bangers1.jpg
bangers1.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
gear10.jpg
gear10.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Rufus_gear_and_meatlheads-037.jpg
Rufus_gear_and_meatlheads-037.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
gear12.jpg
gear12.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.