Eastside Ice...

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
YellowBear
Captain

RE:Eastside Ice...

Post by YellowBear » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:18 am

With all of the Trout that the WDFW put in Sprague it should be good this year.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Getting closer. How have those temps been over there? I know I've hit 29* a couple times now on the back porch. Any eastside winter/ice seasons predictions yet? It seems pretty cold to me so far.......(maybe a little dry lately too...:-" )

I had about a 1/4" skim on the dog dish the other night....I say that's good enough to say first ice of the season...:cheers:
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:53 am

thank you all for the great information i just moved from colorado and im despertly seaking ICE to fish this winter. if anyone has good information on lakes that are remote adn you need to have a snowmachine to get to it would be great.

i am planning on going east several times a month for the winter ICE so if anyone has good solid lakes to spend some time on let me know.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:34 pm

ice seaker wrote:thank you all for the great information i just moved from colorado and im despertly seaking ICE to fish this winter. if anyone has good information on lakes that are remote adn you need to have a snowmachine to get to it would be great.

i am planning on going east several times a month for the winter ICE so if anyone has good solid lakes to spend some time on let me know.
If you want to take the sled into a remote lake, you might look into Lost Lake above Lake Keechelus on top of Snoqualmie Pass. The lake is not that remote during the summer but other than the other sleds the winter should be pretty remote.

I have never tried this lake in the winter because I have never had a snowmobile and the road to the lake is not plowed and is snow covered into early summer. I am not to sure of the ice thickness on an average winter but I would have to imagine that at over 3,000 ft in elevation it should have decent ice by January or Febuary.

There is some pretty decent fishing here during the summer, so I would have to imagine that the winter would be worth a shot as well.

Who knows, it could be worth a try.

Here is a link to a description of this lake from this site.
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/FeaturedLake.aspx?id=311
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ice seaker
Petty Officer

Post by ice seaker » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm

thanks Mallard

the information is great and keep it coming. i am going to plan several trips to that area i heard that keechelus lake and the other one near by has good ice in the winter so im going to spend alot of time on the ice.

can you ride a snowmachine on the lakes? is there any rule prohibiting this use?

hope all the fish you catch are as big as the ones you tell stories about.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:26 pm

I have fished Keechelus for Kokanee during the summer and it is great but never fished it in the winter. Keechelus does get iced over for the most part, but I have never seen anyone or heard of anyone fishing it through the ice. When I pass Keechelus to go duck hunting on the eastside in the winter it appears that the ice is unstable and is mostly snow-ice/slush. I personally would not venture out onto Keechelus.

David Hert
Petty Officer

Post by David Hert » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:32 pm

Just a quick note, most of the Bass ponds around Ellensburg and Yakima are starting to get there first skin of winter ice on them. I myself can't wait for Elton Pond in Selah to freeze over solid so I can get some ice fishing in myself. This pond is only open from Dec. 1st - March 1st and has some beautiful fish in it!

David Hert
Petty Officer

Post by David Hert » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:Getting closer. How have those temps been over there? I know I've hit 29* a couple times now on the back porch. Any eastside winter/ice seasons predictions yet? It seems pretty cold to me so far.......(maybe a little dry lately too...:-" )

I had about a 1/4" skim on the dog dish the other night....I say that's good enough to say first ice of the season...:cheers:
Yakima and E-burg have been in the low 20's for the most part with highs in the mid 30's

David Hert
Petty Officer

Post by David Hert » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 pm

ice seaker wrote:thanks Mallard

the information is great and keep it coming. i am going to plan several trips to that area i heard that keechelus lake and the other one near by has good ice in the winter so im going to spend alot of time on the ice.

can you ride a snowmachine on the lakes? is there any rule prohibiting this use?

hope all the fish you catch are as big as the ones you tell stories about.
You may want to try Lake Kachess and not Keechelus, although Kachess is known for it's Mackinaw and Koke's mostly, but with the cold temps and the ice that forms it should be good koke fishing.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:33 am

Hey Ice Seaker,

Here's an article on the website from a few years back on ice fishing Fish and Palmer Lake, if you haven't read it yet: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=40

I've never been to Palmer, but when I was at Fish two years back the ice was solid enough to snow mobile on (a few people were). Fish isn't remote, but there is virtually no development on it if memory serves, just a small lodge on one end of the lake. Palmer would take awhile to get to from Tacoma, but is suppose to be the best trophy burbot fishery in the state.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:26 pm

((Fish))) Lake= Bows, Browns and perch = Highway 2:-# heading east Towards Leavenworth very close just over the hump depending on the winters can be a dandy with lots of FISH:-$ and many years were sporting snow machines at about 85 miles per hour across her:compress: :eye: !!!
Attachments
37_blackies_to_the_tub_Bonis103-39.jpg
37_blackies_to_the_tub_Bonis103-39.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Fish Lake is definately my favorite ice lake. Random pics are fun aren't they.:cheers:
Attachments
IMG0227.jpg
IMG0227.jpg (150.46 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:43 am

:compress: They sure can be:-$ :cheers: Depending what your reflexon provides:-& :-# :-"
Attachments
PLEASEME1.jpg
PLEASEME1.jpg (93.08 KiB) Viewed 2348 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.