Lethargic Smallies

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bassmasterderek
Commander

Lethargic Smallies

Post by bassmasterderek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:43 am

Okay so this was my first year targeting smallies! I have caught many cold/lethargic LMB in winter that put up a good fight! Last week I caught a decent 2.5 pound smallie that put up no fight from 25ft. Did I trigger a strike from a very lethargic smallie or what? Sunday Sparky caught a decent smallie that put up a good fight! Was that smallie in an active period?

One more question for the smallie kings cough...tag...cough, cough...robber the last couple weeks the smallies have been in deepwater close to a dock! Is this typical winter hideouts? Haven't been able to hook up on main lake flats,humps and drop-offs! I was just figuring that they really relate to being close to cover (docks) in the winter! Whereas in the summer they would be caught deeper and further away from structure. Yes, this is American Lake which doesn't have very much deep water stucture! But Washington and Sammamish is a little too far and I am hoping to put together some type of pattern where we may be able to get more than I smallie boated in a day! But we have been consistent with hooking up with one.

Thanks guys I am learning so much about smallies this year and love the action!

bassmasterderek
Commander

RE:Lethargic Smallies

Post by bassmasterderek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 am

cough... cough...BBD?

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:17 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:cough... cough...BBD?

Wow BMD , thanks for not putting me on the spot ..lol

okay so here is my opinon on the smallie caught in 25ft of water that didn't put up much of a fight. During this time of the year it's kind of important to have an ideal of what dept the "Thermocline" is in that lake .. If that lake is only 50-60 ft deep the themocline could very close to 20-25 ft . With being said, bass consider that dept of water to be most comfortable in there staging . If your pulling that fish out it's comfort area during colder months it's bladder starts inflate and the normal fight in that fish can be effected .. That's why the thread on the proper way to fizz a fish is KEY for the next 4 months ...look at this way , if you have been sitting in heat all day in your house and you walk outside to 35 degree air tempt . Your not going to moved as fast as you would if the air temp was close to your home temp right . Now this not to say that all bass in that lake would offer that same action , each bass has it own personality ..My question to you if that fish that sparky caught , what was the size and what dept did it come from .. Your second question is why was robbers fish so close to that deep dock . Well point and case when i was on wash las week i picked up the fact that most the "active" fish were holding in 36ft , well if im around a deep dock that has forage near it in 36 ft you better believe at some point a fish will pull up to feed if there is oppertunity ..Now dont confuse LMB patterns with smallies ..LMB can be taken from 5ft of water in the dead of winter and most likely will be sitting extreamly close too wood . They tend to do this to get the heat from that log on a sunny day .Smallies on the other hand work under most different movement , they will go deeper based on the themocline and forage through out the winter months .. I have never fished on american lake yet because sparky hasnt giving me the green light to get on his water ..lol , so i can only relate to this topic based on wash, and samm, and southern lakes .. I hope i have answer at least one of your questions ....Good luck at there boys

BBD
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:28 pm

BBD, Sparky's fish was about 2.5 too and about 20-25ft of water as well! I wasn't saying robberelite's fish came from docks I was saying my latest fish have all been from docks when they were actually deeper in the summer months than this. I was just throwing robbers name out there kinda like i did to you, sorry guys! I just know you guys have more experience with smallies than I.

And none of the fish required any fizzing! With the exception of some perch that probably could have been fizzed but still spiraled there way down themselves.

And when you say don't get LMB and SMB mixed up? I am finding them pretty similiar in territorial areas. They both don't move VERY far from their summer spots and the strike zone is smaller hugging closer to cover!

Thanks you for the reponse BBD and good luck getting the green light from sparky on american!

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:23 pm

GREEN LIGHT....BBD/Fishinislife/BMD/Sparky...We got 2 boats down here if ya'll wun com'on durn here we cood git-r done..
:cheers: to Pabst:clown: Lets get a winter fishin in YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW.Maybe we all should go up tags way..haha invade him:-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:41 pm

I'z rekon,..I da like 2 fish 2. :clown:

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Pabst gives me the squirts. :geek: But I'd be down to fish wit ya guys, just let me know. Worst case we end up laughing our cold arses off.
How does Saturday sound? Either American or I'll be hitting the sound for some blackmouth. It will be nice out so I'll go out if you guys got the room.

Dez?? Whatcha think?
Sparky? BMD? You guys interested in a "smallturkeymouth shootout"? I'll bring the can o' worms.

As far as your lethargic smallie question, it could be any number of things. All fish have different fight even within the same species. I've had the same fight with nice smallies during the summer. You just never know. But this time or year they will have more lethargic time than other months. Doesn't mean they can't be caught though. Nice work out there btw.
I usually like to sprinkle a little crack in the water to chum for lethargic smallies.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:53 pm

Im off tha hook i can take my boat out allllllllll day!!!!!!! C'mon BMD get your side taken care of beg beg beg.Dez get ur @#$%^&(*&^%$ in gear and respond bro.Fishinislife:cheers: Kevin you more than welcome to C'mon down you the next contestant on gettin yo @#$%^&whipped jus playin naw man if you got a boat and bro bring this would be a spur thing and hella fun:cheers:

Team OLYBOYZ

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 pm

aaaaaaa chew!!!!!!!!!!

Team OLYBOYZ

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:40 am

Well dont have a boat but if someone needs someone to scare the fish their direction, I am your guy and would love to go out and learn a few things.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:45 am

SPARKY101 wrote:Im off tha hook i can take my boat out allllllllll day!!!!!!! C'mon BMD get your side taken care of beg beg beg.Dez get ur @#$%^&(*&^%$ in gear and respond bro.Fishinislife:cheers: Kevin you more than welcome to C'mon down you the next contestant on gettin yo @#$%^&whipped jus playin naw man if you got a boat and bro bring this would be a spur thing and hella fun:cheers:

Sparky i thought about you yesterday , i was in the market looking for the perfect turkey ...lol thats was sooo lame .. anywho , im down for american ill call fish'n tonight and see if we can make it happen .. saturday and sunday are suppose to be desent days .. stay tuned .. BTW , if we come I WILL PACKING ..lol put down the coffee dez and get back to work .. :clown:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:07 am

I am good to go for saturday, but I have to work so I have to be off the water by 1. Gate opens at 7! I might try and go in later! But no promises!

And how did this thread become a fishing trip? LOL!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:32 pm

If anyone has an open seat,I'm game. By boat is sidelined for a month or so. Or as I like to say "Dry Docked"

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:54 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:I am good to go for saturday, but I have to work so I have to be off the water by 1. Gate opens at 7! I might try and go in later! But no promises!

I was thinking the same thing .. you know how it works , cant talk bass without it turning into a "show me the bass" contest .. we got excited once we got the green light from spark .. now i just need to know about his favorite hole ..

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:04 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:
bassmasterderek wrote:I am good to go for saturday, but I have to work so I have to be off the water by 1. Gate opens at 7! I might try and go in later! But no promises!

I was thinking the same thing .. you know how it works , cant talk bass without it turning into a "show me the bass" contest .. we got excited once we got the green light from spark .. now i just need to know about his favorite hole ..
I would tell where his favorite hole is but then I would have to find a new partner for capity city bass club!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:09 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:

I would tell where his favorite hole is but then I would have to find a new partner for capity city bass club!
there's room for one more HawgHunter this year ..

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 pm

You All should be ashamed of yourselves,talking this turkish rubbish behind my back while im at work real work labor intensive,Not sitting in front of my PS3 fishing,not sitting behind a desk drinking coffee,yup you will know who im talking about hmmmm which leads me to believe fishin and me are the hard workers here why you 2 have your little chitchatty gossiping giggling session:clown: let me know wazzup!!!!

Team OLYBOYZ

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:59 pm

there's room for one more HawgHunter this year ..

HMMMMM[-(

Team OLYBOYZ

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:10 pm

Dez oh Dez!!!!!Where or where art tho romeo!!!!:-&

Team OLYBOYZ

robberelite96
Petty Officer

Post by robberelite96 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:41 pm

bassmasterderek wrote: One more question for the smallie kings cough...robber
First, I am no smallie king... I do get some good ones every once and a while though and it doesn't hurt when everyone posts up little ones... :cheers:

Ron Hobbs talked about deep smallmouth relating to small changes in structure during the winter weather it be a deep dock or a small log. Also the fish do not necessarily feed where they are located, it could be 5ft away or 50 yards away. I would suggest reading Tags winter bass thread or the recap of Hobb's talk, they may help out more for your question...

On a better note, 3riversbasser and I were out a week or so ago and he caught two that fought pretty good, definitly not like they do in the summer though...

Back to retirement :-$
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.