Dorado/Mahi Mahi/Dolphin Fish caught off Oregon Coast

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Dorado/Mahi Mahi/Dolphin Fish caught off Oregon Coast

Post by delyakguy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:39 am

I just read an article in the Yakime Herald talking about a Dorado caught 33 miles West of Brookings, Oregon. It was 33'' long and weighed just 10lbs but is a rarity in the PNW. I have always seen these fish on shows and they belong in much warmer waters like Baja, Mexico not Oregon. The article said there have been reports of other Dorado caught, July 2007. The captain says he hopes to get a Marlin, "they're out there, but they're few and far between. But I usually drag a marlin line or a skip bait, just in case."

I would never imagine fish like this would come as far North as Oregon or Washington. How carzy is that?!!?!
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Dorado/Mahi Mahi/Dolphin Fish caught off Oregon Coast

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:47 am

In the past years when there was an El Ninio (sp?) these things have occurred due to funny warm currents. I think yellow fin tuna were caught out at Westport one year.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:09 pm

quadradomus wrote:In the past years when there was an El Ninio (sp?) these things have occurred due to funny warm currents. I think yellow fin tuna were caught out at Westport one year.
i know that there has been some sailfish come into westport in the past for sure, i was living there when one was brought into the harbor. the el nino's warm water currents definetly bring strange things in where they usually don't occur. i once was walking on a beach on the oregon coast and came across a baracuda that had washed ashore, at first i thought it was just a hake but looking closer i could tell it was definetly a cuda, that was off of seven devils beach between coos bay and bandon.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:26 am

There's been enough stripped marlin caught in Westport now (three or four I think) that WDFW keeps track of the record. The current heaviest marlin was 134 lbs. caught in 2005 by Phil Wolff.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:25 am

now thats odd...! :-$
Largemouth:

PB: 6 pounds

2011: 6 Pounds

Smallmouth:

PB: 5 pounds

2011: 4 lbs

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm

When I was in Oregon on a Salmon fishing charter a couple years ago the charter captain told a story of how he one day saw a school of tuna running through within 5 miles of the shore while taking some customers out. They passed the Tuna and he eventually put the salmon gear down and the trolled around for about an hour before he decided to have a little "boat problem". He turned the boat around and took everybody back and charter company do a partial refund, in the mean time he grabs his tuna gear and goes in search of the tuna he saw earlier. He eventually did catch up with the school and said he caught a yellow fin.

Also I heard a story that somebody caught a small baracuda or something like that off the Edmonds pier a couple years ago. I know that they have been catching tuna very close to shore or much closer than usual and I believe that because the ocean currents are currently warmer than usual and the bait fish was so low in some areas that we are seeing the smaller returns like we did this year.

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:27 pm

was it like a shark thing that was brown?
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:36 pm

A barracuda was caught in the Duwamish a few years ago.
I'll see if I can find the article
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:53 pm

Gonefishing wrote:When I was in Oregon on a Salmon fishing charter a couple years ago the charter captain told a story of how he one day saw a school of tuna running through within 5 miles of the shore while taking some customers out. They passed the Tuna and he eventually put the salmon gear down and the trolled around for about an hour before he decided to have a little "boat problem". He turned the boat around and took everybody back and charter company do a partial refund, in the mean time he grabs his tuna gear and goes in search of the tuna he saw earlier. He eventually did catch up with the school and said he caught a yellow fin.

Also I heard a story that somebody caught a small baracuda or something like that off the Edmonds pier a couple years ago. I know that they have been catching tuna very close to shore or much closer than usual and I believe that because the ocean currents are currently warmer than usual and the bait fish was so low in some areas that we are seeing the smaller returns like we did this year.
A few summers ago the Tuna were in within a few miles of the coast, some smaller aluminum boats made it out there on some dead flat days and found some Tuna as well.

There have been a few occasions of a very stray fish making it into the Strait or into inner Puget Sound.....
The Quadfather wrote:In the past years when there was an El Ninio (sp?) these things have occurred due to funny warm currents. I think yellow fin tuna were caught out at Westport one year.
Yes, a few Yellowfin show up from time to time, its becoming a bit more common now..... I've seen some pictures of a few caught on some other forums....
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:24 am

wow baracuda?, dorado?, marlin?, yellowfin? giant humbolt squid?. does anyone see a pattern here? heck before you know it we'll be fly fishing for tarpon and bonefish off the local beaches. and have a whole new charter fleet ITS A SIGN OF THE TIMES
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

fishingboy
Commander

Post by fishingboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:27 am

what about humbolt squid? some one caught it? WOW!
Largemouth:

Smallmouth:

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:29 pm

fishingboy wrote:what about humbolt squid? some one caught it? WOW!
there was thousands of them that showed up at westport a few weeks ago here's the original forum post

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... tport.aspx
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:12 am

They have caught stripped bass off Westport and Illwaco (mouth of the Columbia) too. I need to get one of those so I can check it off my "Fish I've caught" list!! OK and ANYTHING else that was talked about on this thread.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:03 pm

GJorgy wrote:They have caught stripped bass off Westport and Illwaco (mouth of the Columbia) too. I need to get one of those so I can check it off my "Fish I've caught" list!! OK and ANYTHING else that was talked about on this thread.
yeah me too:bounce: but as far as stripers go. while uncommon in washington they are a cold water fish there is a run that goes up the coos river in oregon every year. the ones in washington probly got lost.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!