I'm Voting Democrat

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Gisteppo
Commodore

RE:I'm Voting Democrat

Post by Gisteppo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:48 pm

Mike, really, Randall Parker?

Here is the tax plan pdf:

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/taxes/Fa ... _FINAL.pdf

No sense arguing pundits comments or campaign speeches, read the actual facts.

Chicago Sun Times article on both plans:
The rich would pay more under Barack Obama's tax plan, and the poor and middle-class would pay less, a nonpartisan analysis finds. Under John McCain's plan, the rich would pay much less than they do now, the poor and middle-class would pay a bit less, and the federal deficit would grow, the study found.
The 95 percent-plus of the American population that earns less than $250,000 would see the following tax breaks: A $500-per-worker tax credit for people who earn less than $150,000 and do not itemize, and a $4,000 credit per child in college. Seniors who earn less than $50,000 would pay no income tax.
Obama would leave the top corporate tax rate at 35 percent. McCain would cut it to 25 percent.
The two candidates differ widely in their approach to the estate tax, which the Republicans call the "death tax." McCain would set it at 15 percent for estates above $5 million. Obama would set it at 45 percent for estates above $3.5 million.
Largely because his tax proposals would leave tax breaks for the wealthy in place, McCain's plan would cost the U.S. Treasury more than Obama's, the Tax Policy Center found.
Assuming they would have been renewed anyway, Obama's plan would bring in an additional $700 billion in taxes over the next 10 years, while McCain's would cost the Treasury $600 billion. Assuming legislators would have let the tax breaks expire, Obama's plan would cost the U.S. Treasury $2.7 trillion and McCain's $3.7 trillion.
And here is the article in its entirety:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/o ... 30.article

Now lets talk about taxing your health care...

Many of us receive health care benefits from our employers. This is a benefit that makes your compensation package larger and is a great incentive to work certain jobs (municipal jobs like garbage man). Under McCain's plan, he would like to tax your benefit as income. The theory is that it will cause you to buy your own plan, but be mindful that you lose a significant amount of buying power purchasing as a single person as compared to a group like a city or corporation. McCain wants to give you a $5k tax credit to pay for your insurance. As it turns out, my personal policy costs $8500 a year, so that takes $3500 MORE out of my pocket.

It COSTS me $3500 to take his tax credit.....

To quote the New York Times:
The campaign cannot yet project how many taxpayers might see their taxes go up, said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, Mr. McCain’s top domestic policy adviser. But Mr. Holtz-Eakin said in an interview that for some, Mr. McCain’s health care tax credits would not be large enough to compensate for his proposal to eliminate the tax breaks afforded to workers with employer-provided health benefits.
From this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/us/po ... ref=slogin

On that single, solitary issue alone, most people should realize that McCain is wrong about taxation.

E

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:23 pm

What did you all think of Obamas infomercial?

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:33 pm

I thought it was good, but nothing really new. I'm glad he kept Geezer and Gidget out of it and focused on his plan rather than bashing his opponents.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

CaptainJack
Petty Officer

Post by CaptainJack » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Just a different view of the issues to remind everyone that there are more than two parties:

right here

I don't agree 100% with him but if you read it you'll probably agree with at least a few of his positions, especially his domestic policies.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Got this in an email, thought I'd share:

Yesterday on my way to lunch at Doe's, I passed one of the homeless guys in that area, with a sign that read: "Vote Obama, I need the money."
Once inside Doe's, my waiter had on a "Obama 08" tee shirt.
When the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him that, while he had given me exceptional service, his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Sen. Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth. I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone that I deemed more in need - the homeless guy outside. He stared at me in disbelief and angrily stormed away.
I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful.
As I got in my truck, I realized this rather unscientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money that he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn.
Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on with those doing the work.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:51 pm

Another email. Just spinning wheels.

This is more of what was stated by Obama on 'Meet the Press'

The following is a narrative taken from Sunday Morning's televised 'Meet The Press'. And the author is employed by none other than the Washington Post!! Yeah......the Washington Post of New York and Los Angeles Times fame!! Must say that I'm duely impressed..................

From Sunday's Televised 'Meet the Press' Senator Obama was asked about his stance on the American Flag. Obama explains his National Anthem Stance Sun, 07 Sept. 2008 11:48:04 EST, General Bill Ginn' USAF (ret.) asked Obama to explain why he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

The General also stated to the Senator that according to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171... During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. At the very least, 'Stand and Face It'

Senator Obama live on Sunday stated,

''As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said. 'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message. You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.'

'We should consider to reinvent our National Anthem as well as to redesign our Flag to better offer our enemies hope and love. It's my intention, if elected, to disarm America to the level of acceptance to our Middle East Brethren.'

'If we as a Nation of warring people, should conduct ourselves as the nations of Islam, whereas peace prevails, perhaps a state or period of mutual concord could exist between our governments.. When I become President, I will seek a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity, and a freedom from disquieting oppressive thoughts. We as a Nation have placed upon the nations of Islam an unfair injustice.'

'My wife disrespects the Flag for many personal reasons. Together she and I have attended several flag burning ceremonies in the past, many years ago. She has her views and I have mine. Of course now, I have found myself about to become the President of the United States and I have put aside my hatred. I will use my power to bring CHANGE to this Nation, and offer the people a new path of hope. My wife and I look forward to becoming our Country's First Family. Indeed, CHANGE is about to overwhelm the United States of America .''

WHAAAAAAAT the ?????
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you heard it right. This could possibly be our next President. I, for one, am speechless. Dale Lindsborg , Washington Post

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:53 pm

fishnislife wrote:Got this in an email, thought I'd share:

Yesterday on my way to lunch at Doe's, I passed one of the homeless guys in that area, with a sign that read: "Vote Obama, I need the money."
When the bill came, I decided not to tip the waiter and explained to him that, while he had given me exceptional service, his tee shirt made me feel he obviously believes in Sen. Obama's plan to redistribute the wealth. I told him I was going to redistribute his tip to someone that I deemed more in need - the homeless guy outside. He stared at me in disbelief and angrily stormed away.
I went outside, gave the homeless guy $3 and told him to thank the waiter inside, as I had decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy looked at me in disbelief but seemed grateful.
As I got in my truck, I realized this rather unscientific redistribution experiment had left the homeless guy quite happy for the money that he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away the money he did earn.
Well, I guess this redistribution of wealth is going to take a while to catch on with those doing the work.

fishnislife
What a great story. :chef:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Mike, really, Randall Parker?

Here is the tax plan pdf:

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/taxes/Fa ... _FINAL.pdf

No sense arguing pundits comments or campaign speeches, read the actual facts.

Chicago Sun Times article on both plans:
The rich would pay more under Barack Obama's tax plan, and the poor and middle-class would pay less, a nonpartisan analysis finds. Under John McCain's plan, the rich would pay much less than they do now, the poor and middle-class would pay a bit less, and the federal deficit would grow, the study found.
The 95 percent-plus of the American population that earns less than $250,000 would see the following tax breaks: A $500-per-worker tax credit for people who earn less than $150,000 and do not itemize, and a $4,000 credit per child in college. Seniors who earn less than $50,000 would pay no income tax.
Obama would leave the top corporate tax rate at 35 percent. McCain would cut it to 25 percent.
The two candidates differ widely in their approach to the estate tax, which the Republicans call the "death tax." McCain would set it at 15 percent for estates above $5 million. Obama would set it at 45 percent for estates above $3.5 million.
Largely because his tax proposals would leave tax breaks for the wealthy in place, McCain's plan would cost the U.S. Treasury more than Obama's, the Tax Policy Center found.
Assuming they would have been renewed anyway, Obama's plan would bring in an additional $700 billion in taxes over the next 10 years, while McCain's would cost the Treasury $600 billion. Assuming legislators would have let the tax breaks expire, Obama's plan would cost the U.S. Treasury $2.7 trillion and McCain's $3.7 trillion.
And here is the article in its entirety:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/o ... 30.article

Now lets talk about taxing your health care...

Many of us receive health care benefits from our employers. This is a benefit that makes your compensation package larger and is a great incentive to work certain jobs (municipal jobs like garbage man). Under McCain's plan, he would like to tax your benefit as income. The theory is that it will cause you to buy your own plan, but be mindful that you lose a significant amount of buying power purchasing as a single person as compared to a group like a city or corporation. McCain wants to give you a $5k tax credit to pay for your insurance. As it turns out, my personal policy costs $8500 a year, so that takes $3500 MORE out of my pocket.

It COSTS me $3500 to take his tax credit.....

To quote the New York Times:
The campaign cannot yet project how many taxpayers might see their taxes go up, said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, Mr. McCain’s top domestic policy adviser. But Mr. Holtz-Eakin said in an interview that for some, Mr. McCain’s health care tax credits would not be large enough to compensate for his proposal to eliminate the tax breaks afforded to workers with employer-provided health benefits.
From this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/us/po ... ref=slogin

On that single, solitary issue alone, most people should realize that McCain is wrong about taxation.

E
Hey G, I was wondering where you were in this thread.

You know, bottom line is I don't believe a word Obama says, so even reading his plan would be a waste of my time. I just found Biden's comment interesting because I do believe it's indicative of the backsliding that we will see after the election. (political pundit comment aside) You know, politics, like economies, are cyclical. So we've had our dose of republicans and now we'll get our fill of democrats. So good luck and God speed to whoever inherits this mess. LikeI said, it's a trust issue, and bottom line is I don't trust what Obama says he will do. That and the man has zero experience to be a leader. Great talker though...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:19 pm

I enjoy the whole spinning of this redistribution concept.

Since when did paying your fair share become redistribution? If I made a half million dollars a year, I think I should pay the same as (or more) a mechanic making $22,000 a year. Shouldn't we all be paying our percentage? If I have Maslow's hierarchy of needs met, and I am living comfortably (Solid reliable transportation, finances to cover my entertainment needs, adequate rest and relaxation, and able to store money for a rainy day and a comfortable retirement), why shouldn't I pay the same 33% that someone who has unreliable transportation and a poor diet?

I think people buy into the wealth of others too frequently, and making it a political argument is funamentally why people in poorer countries can't understand American's lust for consumerism.

E

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:22 pm

Abraham Lincoln had almost the same experience level (Illinois senator even!), with far less experience in Constitutional studies, lest we forget thats what Obama did in his teaching career.

I wouldn't expect you to believe IN him, as his opinions are diametrically opposed to yours. Trust, however, comes only with time and decisions. Don't run the flag up on trust until you can actively see how he does in office (with any luck).

E

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:34 pm

I know better than this, but here goes...

Like many of you, I hire/fire people at work all the time. When I look at potential employees, I look at many factors. Stability, experience, and drive being three very important factors for me.

8 years US senator

8 years first lady

Supports our troops, and lead us through 911 in New York.

I would say this person fits the qualifications more than any other candidate.

I wrote her in.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:34 pm

fishnislife wrote:Another email. Just spinning wheels.
The following is a narrative taken from Sunday Morning's televised 'Meet The Press'. And the author is employed by none other than the Washington Post!! Yeah......the Washington Post of New York and Los Angeles Times fame!! Must say that I'm duely impressed..................

fishnislife
Jeremiah, Jeremiah#-o Really now:-" Google is so simple to use..............
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1003874836

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:43 pm

:cheers:
Marc Martyn wrote:
tmusky1 wrote:So Marc, having one single party in absolute control doesn't concern you? Look, having read a lot of your posts on this board (not just off topic) you seem like a pretty bright guy. Why would you not give me a legitimate reason for not being concerned? Instead, you pick out the one satiric thing I stated and poked fun at that. Obama is pro gun control, and he did in fact state we should all check our tire pressure to save fuel. So, I'm not just buying into the "GOP fear machine" Plus, I don't think public school teachers should earn $100,000 a year. Sure, they need to be paid more but 6 figures?? I'm not sure about you but I can't afford my taxes to go up THAT much.
Do you mean absolute control like from 2000-2006? Yep, were in good shape because of what they accomplished in those years.

I was just kidding you about your fear. Relax no one is going to make you turn in you gun. That threat has been tossed around since the Constitution was drafted.

No, I don't consider myself a pretty bright guy, just an average guy, a contractor, trying to get by in the world. I do however consider my wife of 29 years quite bright. She is an educator, an elementary school principal. After watching her career in the classroom advance to an administrative position, teachers are not paid what they are worth. Over the years, I have heard and debated the uninformed comments about teachers pay but I won't go into that.
Tire pressure. Obama's statement was just a suggestion of how to help increase fuel mileage, not a cure for the energy crisis. It is simple science. Have you ever tried to move something on a hand truck when the tires are half inflated? It takes a whole lot more effort to move it than if the tires were fully inflated. Here's the scoop:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
Well Marc, I think you're a pretty bright guy and far above average. Maybe you should run for president :cheers:

Suzanne
Suzanne

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:17 pm

From Sunday's Televised 'Meet the Press'

fishnislife
That is just so ridiculous. Anybody who would read that and believe it must be living in Sean Hannity's America (or something) and not the United States of America.
Suzanne

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:

fishnislife
Jeremiah, Jeremiah#-o Really now:-" Google is so simple to use..............
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1003874836

Just spinning wheels. Like I said, it came in an email.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:36 pm

Like you, Mike, I don't believe a word Obama says, or even McCain for that matter. This election is one of image, not issues. Obama is young, charismatic and calling for change. He could sell sand in a desert.

With the recession going on, people are panicking, and Obama is telling them what they want to hear, while McCain is trying to let people and the power of a free market sort this out for themselves. While a perfectly legitimate course of action, THIS IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR from a prospective president.

They want someone to say that it wasn't their fault, but the bank's. They want someone to say, "Help is on the way!" even if the initiative is doomed to fail. And Obama does exactly this, while McCain is no-nonsense, giving the people the hard truth, the old "It has to get worse before it gets better". Let's be honest here, no one's tax plan is going to erase the federal debt or solve a recession instantly.

Feel free to comment, or point out any flaws in what I have said here. I don't pretend to be an expert or a leading authority on politics, just a firm conservative with a very basic knowledge of what is going on. But this is my opinion, and I hope it is worth something.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:40 am

I have been watching political campaigns since John Kennedy and Richard Nixon ran for the office of president in 1960. Over those many years, one thing has troubled me greatly. The main message the politician always reverts back to in the closing days of a campaign is fear. It is predictable as the sun rising the next morning. The more desperate they become, the more vile the attacks are.
The message that they are trying to pass off on the American people is that if you don't vote for their party, you are not a true American. I think that it can be traced back to the "Tail Gunner" Joe McCarthy days in the 1950's. Just recently, Michele Bachman, stated that the media should do a thorough investigation of all the members of Congress to find out who is "Pro-American" and who is not. McCarthyism, plan and simple. When she was called on it, she said that she "walked into a trap" set by Chris Mathews on "Hardball".

Sarah Palin, just today made the following statements:
The Alaska governor said Obama had "wrapped his closing message in a warm and fuzzy scripted infomercial intended to soften the focus in these closing days. He's hoping that your mind won't wander to the real challenges of national security, challenges that he isn't capable of meeting." "We're fighting two wars ... They think it's the perfect time to radically reduce defense spending. What are they thinking?"

It doesn't make any difference who would run for president on a party platform, some politician would tag that person as a terrorist, anti-American, a socialist or anti-semitic. If that didn't work, they would attack that person for their skin color or gender.

This kind of poisonous rhetoric is divisive and in my opinion dangerous. The only purpose of these kind of statements is to scare the uninformed into voting for their candidate.

These fear tactics are not new at all. They have been used for centuries. What bothers me, is that in todays world, a person can educate themselves by so many means and be an informed voter but some people choose to take rumors as fact and not research it at all. These poor individuals are blinded followers.

The following two quotes made by two very powerful politicians comes to mind when a government official speaks of war. I am not going to reveal who made them. Read them, think about it and then if you don't know who made these statements, research them. You may be surprised.

"Naturally the common people don't want war. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

"Now we find ourselves in the midst of a conflict unlike any we've ever known, faced with the possibility that terrorists could smuggle a deadly biological agent or a nuclear weapon into the middle of one of our own cities.
That threat -- and the presidential leadership needed to deal with it -- is placing a special responsibility on all of you who will decide on November 2nd who will be our commander in chief."

We are all Americans. We live in the most diverse and productive nation in the world. We all love our country and what it stands for. Many of us are veterans who have served our country proudly. We may not all agree politically, but we are still one people. I for one do not want to see this great nation divided. Division of a people will bring a nation down. Let's not let this happen.
I have already voted. I am comfortable with my choices and hope that you are also.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:57 am

fishnislife wrote:Got this in an email, thought I'd share:

fishnislife
YUP, got that email too, worded slightly different but the same one.

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:05 am

I agree with Marc, who says it much better than I.

I have voted for SEN. OBAMA, all you have to do is look at the past 8 years & what has happened to the USA.
Where ever I go........There I am!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:41 pm

hookemdanno wrote: Well Marc, I think you're a pretty bright guy and far above average. Maybe you should run for president :cheers:
Suzanne
Thanks for the vote, Suzanne. However, Marc The Contractor, would have to run against Joe The Plummer, and from the way the poll numbers are going for O'l Joe, I don't think that I would have a chance at all. But.........I have read that he is thinking of running for Congress. :-k Maybe I could slip into the Oval Office. Na......too many skeletons in my closet.:pirat: