Doubles while bass fishing

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bob johansen
Commander

Doubles while bass fishing

Post by bob johansen » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:06 am

=d>After watching Mike Carey's video on the Columbia River and seeing Dennis Clay hook up with a double, I was wondering how many bass angler members have hooked up with a double. I have hooked doubles at least 3 times on top water Rapalas. Sure they were not lunkers but it is a bit unusal.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

BassinBomber
Admiral

RE:Doubles while bass fishing

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:18 am

NEVER had that happen 2 me Bob,..curious though,..you caught 2 Bass on one Topwater Rap at the same time? WOW! Great video,..Dennis Clay with a Double on a Rattl-Trap,..how cool is that,..I wonder how well those Rattl-Traps do in the Fall? Have 2 get out there next Summer!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

bpm3067
Petty Officer

Post by bpm3067 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:02 am

Happened to me once in Florida on a Rapala DT-4 crankbait...two nice two-pounders from around a cluster of lilypads in a small private lake. You just can't beat catching multiple fish on a single cast, though they tend not to fight as much when they're hooked face-to-face with their buddy.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 am

Iv had at least 7 or 8 in my life time , the best one was down in Nashville on percy priest lake , i had a 4lb LMB on the front hook and a 3.5 LMB on the back and i landed both fish .. for about 30 seconds i thought i had a new state record until the fish showed themselves ..lol There is actually a technique that the pros do while throwing cranks and they are purposely looking for double , i haven't been able to really pick on it and they are quit about it ..hmmmm !! :study:

BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

ZaraSpook
Petty Officer

Post by ZaraSpook » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:34 pm

my bro caught 2 at once twice in one day on topwater, i have never doubled, damn
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 pm

El salto or pretty much all bass lakes in mexico produce doubles quit often. I've never caught 2 at once, but it would be nice even if they were both dinks...
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:13 pm

I've never had a double, but I don't fish double treble baits that much, except for swimbaits now.
aka Powerworm

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:50 pm

I've never had one.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 pm

once with a LC pointer. that was fun.

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Never had the luxury of getting a double but I am looking foward to it one of these days
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:50 pm

I've had it happen twice. Once on a rapala and the other was on a leader that I was using for catfish

JWerner
Warrant Officer

Post by JWerner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:01 pm

I've had it happen probably 4 - 5 times and all but one were 'dink doubles'. 'The one' though will always be remembered. I was fishing at Silver Lk in Kapowsin Valley during an august heat spell. I was fishing topwater in the early AM and was hooking up with 10 - 12" fish. I had 6 - 8 caught and was fighting my ninth. While fighting it, i decided to take my other had and turn on the Kota to move the boat away from the pads. While facing away from the fish, my pole completely doubled over and the only thing in my mind was that one of the lakes otters had tried to get the fish. I turn to see my line racing to the side and then it rockets out to the water. The smaller fish, one the bait was in the air, was sent flying off the hook and to my amazement, it was not an otter doing the stealing. It was a huge bass! I ended up getting the fish in and it weighed 7.0. the crazy thing is, I caught the same fish that March when she was 7lb 14 oz! Completely different area of the lake too!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:04 pm

I have only managed this once and thought that it was something special until I saw it done a lot more on various fishing shows. My double was on Pine Lake on a frog pattern Rapala Skitter Pop. They were about 1 lb. a piece, identical fish, I thought they were twins.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Well I feel like an idiot. I always thought double meant you and your fishing buddy had a fish at the same time.
I almost had a double,..sort of. I was fishing Mason Lake a few years ago. Caught a nice cutthroat trout,pull him out of the water and here comes mama peschi bass and tries to take him away.Greedy bastard, not quite what you guys have had but thought I'd share lame story anyway.

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 pm

I have had it happen 3 times to me. Once on a rattletrap and the other two times were on a crankbait. All were dinks! I have only seen it happen one other time fishing with a friend. Other than that I see it allot on the shows but those fish weren't dinks!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:09 pm

kevinb wrote:Well I feel like an idiot. I always thought double meant you and your fishing buddy had a fish at the same time.
I almost had a double,..sort of. I was fishing Mason Lake a few years ago. Caught a nice cutthroat trout,pull him out of the water and here comes mama peschi bass and tries to take him away.Greedy bastard, not quite what you guys have had but thought I'd share lame story anyway.
That's always been my use of the term "double", until now.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:26 pm

I have only experienced this once and they were both dinks.

That video is awesome Mike. Hats off to Michael Gibney for putting you guys on some quality fish. That "double" was amazing.
Looks to me like your becoming quit the smallie fisherman. Look out smallie lakes, Mike Carey is coming for you.
The past couple of videos have been great. Must be nice to be a Supreme Overlord. Can't wait to see the video of you fishing with Skeet Reese. In due time. Keep'em coming.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I tried that this year with a jig and 7in back a craw fish didn't get two at one time but when I miss one on the jig they hit the craw. That was cool.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!