Litter !

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Stonedfish
Angler

Litter !

Post by Stonedfish » Sat May 12, 2007 10:23 pm

If this is the wrong forum for posting this, please move it Mike.
This isn't directed at anyone on this site. I just want to ask for everyone's help. I fished a small lake recently and was disgusted by the amount of litter at the put in. The place looked like a city dump. It just amazes me that some folks don't seem to care about picking up after themselves. I spent a few minutes picking up empty beer cans, bait contains, McDonald's bags.
If we can all pick up just a few things every time we are out, it can make a huge difference.
Thanks for reading this.
Brian
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 12, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bustin
Warrant Officer

RE:Litter !

Post by bustin » Sat May 12, 2007 10:53 pm

It is apalling. One of my new favorite lakes is also about ten minutes from a local university and there are always students there. Not saying they are the only litterers, but I always see them drinking beer there and there are beer cans and bottles all over this lake.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat May 12, 2007 11:47 pm

Bustin-

I was a Fish Lake yesterday and spoke with Steve from the county park department. He talked with the sheriff's department about it and they said they were going to try to give it more attention. While I was there, the game department showed up, carded a guy and cuffed him. Apparently he had an outstanding warrant.
It is against the county ordinance to drink in a county park. I think the sheriffs dept. is recognizing the problem, especially since a kid drown out there two years ago.

I suggest e-mailing a letter to the county comissioners and explain your concerns. I will do the same. If they get enough complaints, then they will work more directly with the sheriff's department.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 12, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Sun May 13, 2007 1:23 am

I will send an email. Thanks for the update Marc. That is another lake I do not let my kids swim without swimming shoes which is said, but because all the garbage.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 13, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Sun May 13, 2007 12:47 pm

This topic sort of came up in one of the other threads. It all goes back to one person making a difference I believe. I do what I can to pick up the garbage if I can. If a cup or piece of paper is laying on the ground or in the water that is somewhat in my path...I pick it up and throw it away. Makes me feel better
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 15, 2007 12:18 am

Adding a garbage bag to your tackle box is a start to doing your part.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 12:30 am

bigastrout wrote:Adding a garbage bag to your tackle box is a start to doing your part.

I never thought of that. That little action will go a long way too. The thing that bothers me the most is the glass. A lot of fisherman have dogs ( I have 4 ) and if I were to get a $300 vet bill because a litter bug couldnt pick up his broken bottle I wouldnt be happy, so I dont wish that upon any fisherman, or worse a little kid gets cut, especially on his/her first fishing trip, that might be enough to keep them from fishing.

PUT A TRASH BAG IN YOUR TACKLE BOX, please

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:51 pm

When I hike into an area, it can be overwhelming to haul it out so I burn the garbage. It may be illegal but so is littering. It all comes from the earth and goes back to the earth so speed up the process and get rid of the unsightly filth.
Tug's the Drug

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:21 am

I would just like to thank you guys for picking up after others.
I always keep a few empty grain sacks in the old truck for trash.

I am sorry to hear that things are as bad as they are down at Fish lake.I grew up in the area and spent many days down there swimming and chasing the girls as a kid.Back then it was owned by Tom and Bee Myers and they ran a pretty tight ship.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:44 am

i've posted several different topics on this problem. there is not one lake or stream that isn,t trashed. i shorefish mostly and will hit several areas in a day. if you took the time to look you would see all the trash that is stuffed in the bush's, weeds, on the bottom of the lakes etc, at times it seems that the fish think this is apart of their home and use it as any other structure. i've caught panfish next to some of the junk. the new future of fishing!!??

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 am

I always keep a roll of the medium garbage bags in my tackle bag (converted back pack). They are small, cheap (I think I paid like $2.00 for them at QFC last time) and hold about as much as I would like to carry.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:26 pm

Sad state of affairs. I usually net more garbage than fish when out in the boat. A couple 5 gal buckets does the trick.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 pm

Hey guys jmay just put up a post in the Announcement forum called - Citizens invited to comment on WDFW Enforcement Program - this might be a good way to express you feelings about the litter issue (and poachers). If more officers were on patrol, the litter issue would decrease. I think everyone should take the survey and hopefully with enough people giving feedback something will happen.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;