How Do You Setup A "Corky" And Yarn?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishingFool
Captain

How Do You Setup A "Corky" And Yarn?

Post by FishingFool » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm looking at the BC sites, but I dont quite understand it. Any direct pics of the actual line instead of just diagrams? And directions and exact hardware?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:How Do You Setup A "Corky" And Yarn?

Post by Toni » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 am

picture

This has a picture. If the water is muddy use a larger corky and hook. When it clears up (for the Carbon and Puyallup) this is when it starts snowing in the mountain use smaller corky. I only buy the 2 smallest sizes. If water is really brown I will put 2 corkies on one on top of the other.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

David Z.
Petty Officer

Post by David Z. » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:06 pm

I see this question on setting up basic rigging all the time. The best thing I found is a book by Bill Herzog called Color Guide to Steelhead Drift Fishing. I bought it for my son about 8 years ago when he started drift fishing and it was a great help. Goes over reading water, basic rigging, bait, different weighting systems and how to drift fish. This book is not just for Steelhead and is a good read for all that want to start river fishing.

I still read it now and then just because. I got mine at Outdoor Emporium put I'm sure that most sporting good shops and the Library have it.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Toni wrote:picture

This has a picture. If the water is muddy use a larger corky and hook. When it clears up (for the Carbon and Puyallup) this is when it starts snowing in the mountain use smaller corky. I only buy the 2 smallest sizes. If water is really brown I will put 2 corkies on one on top of the other.

Excellent link. Thanks. But question. WTF does the corky do? From what it looks like, it just goes on the line. Wont it just slide around and stuff?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:31 pm

It does slide up but the current pulls it down to the hook fast. Sometimes you need to have the corky down as fast as the weight - then you can peg it with a toothpick and it will stay there. The corky floats the hook up a little off the bottom.
I know makes no sense at all. I have caught more off these corkies than eggs, so far in my career.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:59 pm

FishingFool wrote:
Toni wrote:picture

Excellent link. Thanks. But question. WTF does the corky do? From what it looks like, it just goes on the line. Wont it just slide around and stuff?
Yup, a toothpick pushed in and broken off will hold it against the hook, although river current should push it down there anyway. As to what it does - steelhead (I've read) like to pick up these bright-colored objects and move them out of their turf.

I love drift fishing because the thrill of feeling that bite is like nothing else. It can be very subtle or hard shaking. I get into a trance drift fishing - and that fish on is a big wake up call! Which is why to me float fishing just isn't as fun...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Hmmm, I guess I need to make a special trip to SportCo and pick up some supplies.

Sportsman Warehouse wasnt much of help. And I didnt even bother asking the kids at Joe's.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:37 pm

FishingFool wrote: And I didnt even bother asking the kids at Joe's.
Be careful man, some of those kids just may surprise you with their knowledge....

:-#
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Mike Carey wrote: I love drift fishing because the thrill of feeling that bite is like nothing else. It can be very subtle or hard shaking. I get into a trance drift fishing - and that fish on is a big wake up call! Which is why to me float fishing just isn't as fun...
Yep that's it. The bite, knowing its a fish...awesome.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:07 pm

I use a toothpick only when I'm in a tidal zone and the water is just barely moving.Corkies and yarn have always produced for me.They are the most cost effective when drifting a snagged area on the river.Plus you can change colors easily .Yes the bite while drifting a stream or river is great not to mention the fight in a swollen river.Its like no other fight in fishing to me.I love the sound of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on my reel.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 pm

I cant tell from the picture, but the yarn. It's just tied right around the bottom eye of the hook? Dont need it wrapped with line when snelling the hook?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:56 pm

I use an egg loop hook myself that I tie.I tie the yarn to the loop,then trim accordingly.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:41 pm

racfish wrote:I use an egg loop hook myself that I tie.I tie the yarn to the loop,then trim accordingly.
oh great, another knot to learn, lol.#-o

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:50 pm

You can just tie a tight over hand knot above a corkie and trim the yarn just short of your hook point.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:58 pm

three ways. After your leader is tied:

1. tie yarn around egg loop line
2. put yarn in loop and cinch tight
3. put yarn through egg loop and tie around the hook shank.

#3. is recommended in a drift fishing book I have because it allows you to place the yarn on the inside of the bend. This is supposed to increase hook-ups due to the fish striking at the business side of the hook and thus avoiding short strikes.

If you want a small profile, just stick the yarn through the loop and cinch, no knot = smaller profile.

Do it however you want, or is easiest.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:52 pm

I just put it in the loop and cinch.
The teeth of the fish is suppose get tangled in the yarn which in turn gives you a few extra seconds to set the hook.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:04 pm

How do you prevent the leader portion from twisting up on the main line? #-o

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:29 pm

FishingFool wrote:How do you prevent the leader portion from twisting up on the main line? #-o
I don't know. I don't think I have ever had that problem.:scratch:
Is it the way you have the swivel and weight?
Can you take a picture of your set up and post it?

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Toni wrote:
FishingFool wrote:How do you prevent the leader portion from twisting up on the main line? #-o
I don't know. I don't think I have ever had that problem.:scratch:
Is it the way you have the swivel and weight?
Can you take a picture of your set up and post it?
My pole is in the truck ATM.

But we bought those that are pre-rigged with a rubber tubing already.

It's like a barrel swivel, then the tubing. Then the other end of the barrel swivel.

*edit*

Found 1 in the tackle box.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:27 pm

I don't use those.
What weight is your leader and main line?
I am thinking that the leader is really light compared to the main line and weight, so that when casting the weight heads out first and the leader and hook stay behind the weight. tangling in the mainline.

Maybe it is also the speed of your cast? Do you have a baitcasting reel or spinning?
Those are the only things I can think of right now. I can not remember it ever happening to me.