Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by Toni » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 am

The Electron Power plant is way up the Puyallup. You would have to go through Orting to get to it.

You can't keep native king salmon or bull trout.

If you take hiway 162 going toward Orting from the Sumner area (or from hiway 410) there is one bridge you go over and on the left it has parking you can walk to the river. If you keep going south toward Orting turn left on 96th st. or 128th st follow these roads to the bridge and people fish here. Or stay on 162 untill you get to the Mcmillian Industrial area and the bridge crosses the "Little Puyallup". Park just before you get to the bridge on the right and walk under the bridge to get to the rest of the river which is also where the Carbon goes into the Puyallup. At this point you can get onto the dyke and walk back to the 128th st. bride on the west side of the river. I forgot about turning left on 115th st (turns into 116th) and following that road right to the river.

If you type in Puyallup WA on Google search then go to the map tab and find the Puyallup river then follow it alll the way up you can see the different areas. This is what I did then I went scouting to see if I liked it.

I haven't fished lower than the 115th st area.

Chum - dog salmon

Steelhead look like enlongated salmon. I caught one on the Carbon last Oct. and I didn't know for sure what it was.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by kevinb » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:54 am

Hey FF

The downtown section of the Puyallup has some good spots. The area east of 512 has a paved trail.
Directions headed southbound (Take 167 to 512,Take the Pioneer st. exit, right on Pioneer and then a left at 15th st.,head straight down to the Safeway,parking in the back and the river is right there.

Another section, River Rd. but I don't suggest that side. Small shoulder parking with cars ripping by, but just across the river...(The Fife side on Levee Rd. has a little better parking and you don't have to dodge as many cars.

I'm no expert to salmon fishing,infact with the exception of a fly rod. I've learned more about river/salmon fishing from Toni and others on here. But I'll be headed down here this evening. If you want to meet up,give me a holler.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:05 am

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 6&t=h&z=15

This map might do better than my lame directions :-$

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Picked up a new Pflueger Supreme reel for the GF. She needed something with a decent drag. Much better than whatever the cheapy she got with her original combo. Didnt even have instant lock. :cyclops:

Grabbed some 8# test for her. I'm trying out 6#.... :-"

Grabbed several large Blue Fox and Roostertail lures. This should be interesting. Hopefully weather holds for tomorrow.

Also, is it a bad idea to try and use my G Loomis GL3 rod for salmon? I dont want to break it.... #-o

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:53 pm

kevinb wrote:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 6&t=h&z=15

This map might do better than my lame directions :-$

Just follow the Puyallup river on the map towards Orting to see the places I talked about.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.