Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by Toni » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:17 pm

SCORE! I got a silver out of the Puyallup. It was a small fish but worthy to bring home. I hooked it on a pink cheater (non-weighted) with a number 1 Matsuo octopus hook.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Puyallup River Hints, tricks, and just plane old old help for all of us to share.

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:11 pm

Toni wrote:SCORE! I got a silver out of the Puyallup. It was a small fish but worthy to bring home. I hooked it on a pink cheater (non-weighted) with a number 1 Matsuo octopus hook.
If you don't mind sharring,..where abouts were you? Just a rough location,I'm not trying to crowd any spots.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:09 am

Toni wrote:
Derrick-k wrote:
Toni wrote: They can run into Oct but that is in small amounts.
Most are fairly dark in oct. too.
Yep-smoker fish.
Derrick when would you say the bright ones finish?
The bright kings are slowing down right now, There will be a few left, (chromes that is) till a little later but for the most part were on the tail end of it right now.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:10 am

Toni wrote:SCORE! I got a silver out of the Puyallup. It was a small fish but worthy to bring home. I hooked it on a pink cheater (non-weighted) with a number 1 Matsuo octopus hook.
Bring on the silvers!!!!!!!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:58 am

kevinb wrote:
If you don't mind sharring,..where abouts were you? Just a rough location,I'm not trying to crowd any spots.
115th St off of Hiway 162.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:00 am

This week at Voights creek hatchery it said for the 2nd time in a row 465 kings...bad amount if the kings are done.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 am

One thing I noticed is they don't always update the hatchery counts on the rivers everyweek. There will be some more coming in...

Capt.Longrod
Angler

Post by Capt.Longrod » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:31 pm

needabiggerboat wrote::colors: Well to start off I will give you what I have always been told about colors.
Green or yellow for the kings
Pink or orange for the silvers
Anything thats pink for the pinks
Not shure for the chums (never fished for them)

Give me any help you can for the cloudy water right now. (not used to it)
also any suggestions on how to spot a good place that fish will hold.
Needabiggerboat,
P.s. trying to get my wife hooked up with a king on the river. :-$ She has no idea what is going to happen.

Kings typically will hold anywhere there is a break in the current such as behind stumps, logs, pilings, rocks, etc. The middle portions of holes can be good, but your best success will be at the top of the hole behind the current break in deeper water. when fishin those holes with any kind of drift gear from the bar side, you want to make sure that you let a few feet of line out as your set-up hits the water causing it to drop straight down to where the fish are. 98% of people stop their line when it hits the water and that causes your set-up to start coming back towards you thus missing the holding spot where the fish are laying. when fishing the head of the holes, you also want to add some weight to compensate for the extra current that will carry your line from the point of entry all the way to your set-up at a faster rate out of the drift. This advice does not account for all situations, but it will add to your catch ratio in 95% of situations there

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Been doing some fishing but more scouting than anything else on the Puyallup.

Is their a rule about fishing distance from tribal nets? ....I guess I have alot questions regarding nets.
Not sure if this a question or a rant but I've been on the river alot recently and theirs a section of netting/buoys that never seems to be checked on or anyone around it. I would venture to say that their are salmon in it going to waiste.
Done with my spat:-$

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm

If a net is not being attended to there is a derelict gear hotline : 1-877-933-9847

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote:If a net is not being attended to there is a derelict gear hotline : 1-877-933-9847
Thanks Jake,...I'm giving them a buzz.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Puyallup River system Voights Creek hatchery report for Sept 25 -- 1790 Kings and 1035 Silvers. What an increase! Last week it was Kings=895 Silvers=35
The fish had to pass through the Puyallup and up to the Carbon to get to the hatchery.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Toni wrote:Puyallup River system Voights Creek hatchery report for Sept 25 -- 1790 Kings and 1035 Silvers. What an increase! Last week it was Kings=895 Silvers=35
The fish had to pass through the Puyallup and up to the Carbon to get to the hatchery.
Wow!!! Good news

I took my son on a walk at the fish hatchery here in Puyallup. Saw a ton of salmon in the creek behind it(Clarks Creek)
I took some photos...Nothing award winning but I'll post a few.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Their hard to see but theirs several in here(where's Waldo?)

OK,nothing special but thought I'd share anyway.
If any of you folks live nearby, I encourage you to head back their. My cheap camera doesn't do this any justice.
But seeing all these salmon in such a small area is really amazing.
Hopefully the next salmon photos are one's I actually catch.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:55 pm

The GF and I only have trout and a little bit of bass gear. Can we use our trout gear to catch these salmon?

So I doubt our 4-6lb line and kastmasters and roostertails will work?

We might be heading to the Green on the 2nd.

What kind of fish should we expect? How do we rig up? So confused.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Fishin fool, Go here for the best tips... http://www.sportfishingbc.com/articles/ ... orkies.htm This web site is one for you to put in your favorites. Good luck to you, Steve here's another... http://www.coastangler.com/fishing/intr ... hing.shtml and more.... http://www.coastangler.com/fishing/intr ... hing.shtml more......... http://www.coastangler.com/fishing/earl ... hing.shtml
This is the main site This is for Canada but works here just as well, :-) http://www.coastangler.com/

Here is a picture of my river tackle box. http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... -Pics.aspx I have another one for steelhead and trade some of it back and forth but this box is mostly for salmon.

Check out the post in rivers from Capt Longrod from the Carbon River...Great! This is fishing with plugs, lot easier for you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 pm

thanks for those links. Doing a bit of reading. But I dont see much specifics about gear.

We currently only own spinner reels. I really do not want to buy new reels for us....:-"

We also have 7' poles. I have an Ugly Stik lite, and the GF has the lady version Ugly Stik. Medium action for both.

Will 8# line be sufficent? What size hook is the norm? So much to learn.#-o

PS, the majority of our lures have siwash hooks with the barb pinched.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chin_nook
Petty Officer

Post by Chin_nook » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:14 am

FF, I know plenty of guys that use Trout Poles and reels.
What you want to do is re-spool the reel with a braided line. The diameter of braided line vs mono (equal breaking strength) is smaller. What that means is that, if you re-spool with 10lb braided, it's like putting on 6lb mono on the reel. Breaking strength and line capacity is all you need to understand.

Allot of guys will say your outfit is to light for salmon but I beg to differ. I can say that because I throw bugs and chase salmon on my fly pole.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:30 am

FishingFool wrote:thanks for those links. Doing a bit of reading. But I dont see much specifics about gear.

We currently only own spinner reels. I really do not want to buy new reels for us....:-"

We also have 7' poles. I have an Ugly Stik lite, and the GF has the lady version Ugly Stik. Medium action for both.

Will 8# line be sufficent? What size hook is the norm? So much to learn.#-o

PS, the majority of our lures have siwash hooks with the barb pinched.
I caught a 9 lb silver last year on a 7 foot pole. I can't remember the line size but right now in the river 8lb is fine. You could go to 6 if you remember not to horse that big fish in. Play it just like you would a large fish light line. You might have the current to deal with as well as the weight of the fish. Just depends on the river. You would want a lot of line on the reel.
I don't use big hooks, water clarity would make me decide what size. I use #4-#1 the cloudier the water the larger corky and hook. I only use #1/0 with eggs and cloudy water, which is very seldom.
I do best with spinning reels. My preference.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Flaming Gyser is currently closed to Salmon now correct? Only opened to Steelhead and trout right?

I know where 277th Bridge is, but I'm not sure about the Auburn-Black Diamond Rd. Bridge. So it's hard for me to judge.

What about just west of the Highway 18. I remember seeing lots of cars parked along the side of the road last year. I also remember seeing people down the hill from Green River CC. Along that backroad area. I believe those areas are currently closed until Oct 16th.

Maybe we'll just head off to the Puyallup. Have no idea where to go, but I remember driving over Highway 512 bridge and thought I saw some access on the East side. I believe it's open completely. Just have no idea where the Electron Power Plant is....:-" Anything we should look out for, that we shouldnt keep. Odds are, we wont keep anything. We mainly fish for fun. In all the times we fishes these couple of years, we've personally only kept 1 large trout to take home.

Also about non-bouyant lure restriction. Does that mean, you can only use sinking lures and it has to be a single hook? So no to floating rapalas or bobbers and such? And no corkies?

The rules are so damn confusing to me. That's the main reason I've never tried attempted rivers. And all the "sections" of rivers. BAH!

Also, the different terms and names for salmon. I'm looking at page 104 in the book.

Chinook=King
Coho=Silver?
Pink=Humpy?
Chum=....

Also, a does a steelhead look just like a regular trout, but silver? To me, they all look the same....:-" #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.