Speaking of Sqawfish, what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Speaking of Sqawfish, what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

Post by kevinb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:26 pm

People

From my Dahmer days:-"

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Yep ..You are all correct, it's a bolute.:colors: I had them in Viet Nam in 68 and haven't tried them since. :colors: Another egg treat I tried was a "Thousand Year Old Egg. They are buried in lye and taste rotten and are black looking. :colors: I tried a Bettle Nut..that too is a bad nut Harry!
I took my nieces out fishing once and ate a worm....That was 20 years ago and I still hear about it.It wasn't all that awful as I remember it..... But I still like a little Beluga Caviar with my quail eggs and Fois Gras on my Chateau!:chef:

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 pm

Those were like those eggs in Vans produce on Jackson St. I ate most things a lil bit tipsy to say the least.Its amazing what you do when youre smashed.I wouldnt have eaten any of those things sober in most cases.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:43 pm

I don't think I could drink enough to try some of the stuff listed above - :-&

Had a rattlesnake burger once - taste like chicken..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 am

Lots of foods are really good once you get past the feeling your eating bait.I remember as a teen eating pickled pigs feet.I bought a jar recently and started to devour it before I realized that when you're sober it dosent taste the same.I almost puked when I bit in and my mouth was attacked with fat salty grissle.I thought to myself "What was I thinking".I think its the same for lots of things I've eaten in the past.I went to my favorite Chinese food place (Kau Kau) in Seattles International District and got Lau-Mei.This is all the parts of the pig that were left.Ears,tails,feet,balls,and the entrails in a broth.Its all on a bed of white rice.Looks and smells delicious.I bought my first order in about 30 years and took it home.Bleccccccccchhhhhhh.Again what was delicious back then wasnt as delicious now.At least I can say I was willing to try it.To me its better to try then not to try.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 pm

I ate some weird things in Nam, but I still can't take lumpy milk...drunk or sober!:shaking:

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 pm

if you want to watch someone eat weird stuff or anything and everything, everywhere. you need to check out "bizarre foods with Andrew Zimmern" on the travel channel :thumleft: i use to eat nightcrawlers to gross out the other neighborhood kids years ago, and i would have to rate the beautifully crusted fishsticks that seems to have the consistancy of mashed potatoes on the inside that i'm eating right know. :pale: <')//<

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:49 pm

northfork wrote:While in the Navy overseas, I got drunk enough to try one of these- many many moons ago:-#
Can't remember but I bet I puked. Can you guess what it is?
filipino delicasy...I am filipino and would never eat balut...pass!
"One more......."

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:52 pm

My wife and I were eating sushi at a place in Bellevue a few years ago and I had a roll that had tempura shrimp in it. Next to my plate they placed a bowl of shrimp heads that had also been fried with the tempura batter, eyes, antenna and all. I looked at my wife and said, "what do I do with this?" She didn't know, so I popped one in my mouth and crunched down. Pretty tasty. Polished off the bowl with my dinner. Mmmm. Was told by a friend later that that is typically custom to serve the heads along side the rest of the shrimp that is wrapped up in whatever dish you ordered. Glad I was supposed to eat them, otherwise they'd probably still be talking about me at the restaurant. Love most all sushi, but can't stand salmon roe.
Other than that, most all has been normal. Alligator is great. Snake is good (similar to alligator). Ate a whole carp minnow on a dare when I was a kid.
Had a japanese student make my friend and I traditional japanese food once in college. It was a great beef in broth with noodles type dish, but it was traditional to crack a raw egg over the top of the bowl and eat it like that.....tasted good, but had a hard time getting past the texture of the raw egg. Went back for seconds minus the egg!
I'm the type who'll try most anything once. I'd even try bolute if it were offered to me.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:35 pm

If you all are curious about foods from other countries.I know I am.I go to the International District in Seattle alot.I love the stores along Jackson,Main,and Weller streets.The Vietnamese,and Cambodian stores have the most interesting items for sale.Some things like Pickled duck eggs or Quail eggs are even a bit much for even me.There are the most interesting foods.The other day we went down from work and I found dried crunchy Anchovies.GRRRRRRRRRR.I wanted some for chumming.Hehehe.Seriously go down there some day and check those stores out.I buy most of my Veggies from there after Carpinitos in Kent closes.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm right there with you on the Salmon Roe.... :-& I actually did get :-& well kind of after I ate it...

Lutifisk and some other norwegian thing my Grandmother made on a annual basis. It went down like a lead balloon and tasted like one too :D

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 pm

When I was a kid in Wisconsin we'd hit small creeks looking for chubs. Spear rthem with frog fork spears. Take them home and smoke them with hickory wood. Pretty darn good actually..and crawfish. Tip a small boat over next to the shoreline and the craws would come up go under the cover. Go out with flash lights scoop them up and have a steamed crawfish with beer evening...thats pretty darn good eaten too! Man I'm hungry, later.
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm

deep battered carp eggs was my strangest. I am scarred for life. Texture, taste, after taste, everything was just plain wrong about that dish. Try it some day, not going to replace cavier anytime soon.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Ive had fried breaded shad eggs and fried Salmon sperms also.People from a more poorer country dont waste like most of us Americans do.When my grandfather was alive no part of the salmon went uneaten other then bones,and the gills.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:20 pm

racfish wrote: fried Salmon sperms also.
:-& :-&
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm

shad

JWerner
Warrant Officer

Post by JWerner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:47 pm

For me, sea cucumber that I prepared. Cut them open and there are 5 longitudnal muscles that run on the underside of the skin. Cut them in 1" sections and prepare them as you would scallops. It was good enought for me to eat them multiple times. I have eaten live freshwarter eels in Alabama as well. They were pretty good.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”