Speaking of Sqawfish, what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Speaking of Sqawfish, what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 am

All that talk about eating squawfish got me to thinking about what is the strangest thing that people have eaten? Myself, I had a rat in Belize, it was tasty. :chef: Sometime i used to open clams on the beach as a teenager and eat the chewy piece, not that clams are that odd.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Speaking of Sqawfish, what's the strangest thing you've eaten?

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:15 am

Strange or weird foods to us arent necessarily strange to others.I think Bizzarre foods are more the question.I could write pages on strange and bizzarre foods I've consumed.Cow and sheep testicles.All parts of animals from balls to brains to tounge to stomach and intestines.Lets see I eat Shad,Salmon,Silver Mullet,Sturgeon and Smelt roe.Ive had rat ,cat,horse,raccoon,squirrel,possum and beaver.Bear meat was quite awfull.I eat pickled, fried ,raw, and stuffed Herring.I've had most things that Zimmer guy eats.In the mid east I ate just about every part of a goat including eyes.I cant begin to think of some of the weird crappola I've eaten.Pickled Jellyfish (Kolka).Sea urchins,Blowfish,(Fugu).Most of my life I've been cooking of fascinated with different cultural foods.Ive eaten tripe or Pancet. Oh well theres more stuff but I might regirgitate on my desk.

Interesting question Quad.There are way more stuff but I'll leave this alone for now.Its amazing what has passed through this mouth.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:23 am

:cheers: You da man Ralph:cheers:

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:28 am

I didnt get to the 315 lb mark eating green salads and rye crisp.Muahahaha
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:16 am

racfish wrote:Strange or weird foods to us arent necessarily strange to others.I think Bizzarre foods are more the question.I could write pages on strange and bizzarre foods I've consumed.Cow and sheep testicles.All parts of animals from balls to brains to tounge to stomach and intestines.Lets see I eat Shad,Salmon,Silver Mullet,Sturgeon and Smelt roe.Ive had rat ,cat,horse,raccoon,squirrel,possum and beaver.Bear meat was quite awfull.I eat pickled, fried ,raw, and stuffed Herring.I've had most things that Zimmer guy eats.In the mid east I ate just about every part of a goat including eyes.I cant begin to think of some of the weird crappola I've eaten.Pickled Jellyfish (Kolka).Sea urchins,Blowfish,(Fugu).Most of my life I've been cooking of fascinated with different cultural foods.Ive eaten tripe or Pancet. Oh well theres more stuff but I might regirgitate on my desk.

Interesting question Quad.There are way more stuff but I'll leave this alone for now.Its amazing what has passed through this mouth.
i think u got us all beat rac lol..i guess the strangest thing i've eaten and will probly eat again is raw squid.. it was definetly different from the other sushi's i've eatin in the past, but definetly tasty . smelt roe is good, i had a smelt roe salad one time. i've even eaten salmon roe at a sushi bar before. i decided to gross my wife and kids out but shucking an oyster and eating it raw right on the beach i picked it from. needed hotsauce and lemon..but it grossed them out though lol.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:40 am

:chef: racfish ... I don't see pickled pigs feet on your list.

I brought a bottle of them into work but I can't find anyone who wants to try them with me.:-&

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:13 am

I ate sqawfish while camping in Priest Lake, ID yearsa go. My father ate sucker fish before. #-o

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:45 am

Pickled pigsfeet and pickled eggs are normal American foods.Ive tasted all those things not all were good.In the mid east I had language problems so in many cases you ate then wanted to puke.But Its all in having fun.I havent left this state in 15 years. I'm sure everything is different there now.When iI was was in Israel and No. Africa there wasnt Starbucks or Mickey D's either.I guess also I grew up in a very culturaly diverse area in Seattle which is rich in learning other peoples lifestyles.Go to Uwajimayas one day in the International District or Vans Produce on Jackson St. for a cultural experience.They sell some things that make me sick just thinking about them. Like pickled and salted whole duck eggs with shells.I forget the name of that fruit that stinks so bad. That stuff is a killa.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:30 pm

The two things that stick out in my mind are...

Meat Jelly (in Russia) - its served cold, in little cubes, as an appetizer
Rocky Mountain Oysters (harvested by myself):rambo:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:24 pm

I have never eaten anything that is too extreme that I can think of at the moment or is not already listed. But If anybody wants a real "treat" there is one of those "maggot wagons/taco trucks" out in Monroe off of the first exit by the Chevron station and State Pen that sells stuff like cow brain tacos. They sell lots of other "weird" things but you will just have to see for yourself.

I guess "weird" foods is up to the person eating it. We are all different and have different cultures and backgrounds with different foods that may seem strange to others. The best thing that we can do is not judge others by what they eat, and accept that they just have different tastes than our own.

Congrats to others with stronger stomachs than my own.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:56 pm

While in the Navy overseas, I got drunk enough to try one of these- many many moons ago:-#
Can't remember but I bet I puked. Can you guess what it is?
Attachments
180px-Balut_Egg.jpg
180px-Balut_Egg.jpg (5.4 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:59 pm

mallard83 wrote:But If anybody wants a real "treat" there is one of those "maggot wagons/taco trucks" out in Monroe off of the first exit by the Chevron station and State Pen that sells stuff like cow brain tacos. They sell lots of other "weird" things but you will just have to see for yourself.

Oh now... don't talk down the taco wagons. I will eat at the taco wagons any chance I get. You will find much more authentic mexican food from these places. If you ask me, Azteca is like the Denneys of Mexican food. Yeah, they got all the brains and "Lengua" cow tongueat the wagon, but that cow tonuge makes an excellecnt burrito. I can't say enough about the taco wagons! No worries Mallard, I know you weren't dissin' them. :chef:

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:59 pm

northfork wrote:While in the Navy overseas, I got drunk enough to try one of these- many many moons ago:-#
looks a little testacilish...:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Nope, it's a bird of some sort :-$

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Alligator
Ostrich (red meat, curiously)
Kangaroo
Liverwurst (OK, not a freaky eating experience, but any good German grew up eating it like I did and all my buddies used to think it was so disgusting)

One early morning I had "Brains & Eggs" for breakfast at the Oxford in downtown Missoula. It's conveniently open 24hrs and attached to a strip bar, and one night after hard partying we hit the Ox for breakfast around 2am and I had scrambled brains (something I think I suffer from currently) & scrambled eggs.

Any of you guys try haggis (sp?), that Scottish blood sausage stuff? That truly looks disgusting.

Northfork, is that some sort of pickled egg with the bird still in it? Gross!
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:03 am

northfork wrote:While in the Navy overseas, I got drunk enough to try one of these- many many moons ago:-#
thats a bolute.. or baby duck hard boiled still in shell:-& i guess its a delicacy in some countries
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:04 am

Yep-Balut. They let the duck mature inside the egg until just before it starts to get feathers. :pale:
Subic Bay Philipines, gotta love those young drunk sailors.](*,)

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:22 am

Probably not the wierdest thing to allot of people but I ate octopus before. The funniest thing about this was the whole time I thought it was calamari until my friend told me it wasn't squid kinda threw me for a loop at that point but it was good never the less.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:32 am

I love to try different types of foods. A few I have had which do not compare to many of you as far as unusual goes are; whole Habanera pepper, whole Jalapeno peppers, caviar, pig’s feet. Raw - tuna, squid, salmon, and oysters. Pickled herring,

The caviar was horrible and very fishy. The pig’s feet were nothing but fatty and not to my liking. The peppers I have had (habanera only once whole) was OMG HOT! The kind that burns like fire, not the kind of hot that is spicy. The others I mentioned were all enjoyable. I want to try cow tongue which I am told is great. I would also be interested in trying foods from other countries as long as they were created in a sanitary environment. I saw Andrew Zimmern eat a shark sandwich somewhere and he said it was in his top ten greatest foods he has ever eaten. Trying something like that interests me. Anyway, good topic. Fun to read what many of you have tried.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:46 pm

hard to follow racfish, im not worthy. bull nuts and Alligator
Ostrich. no funky stuff. dont have a strong stomach and have a problem with textures.:-# :-&
:pig:

:viking: got to love the smileys.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”