Why can't you keep SRCs?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishndude
Petty Officer

Why can't you keep SRCs?

Post by fishndude » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:28 pm

I was around the Gig Harbor area with a buddy fishing for salmon last weekend. We couldn't keep the sea-run cutts off of our line. Yet, the regulations state that you can never keep these fish anywhere anytime. Just wondering why that is since they were biting like yellow perch out there. It just doesn't seem to make sense that you can keep salmon, but not these guys. Is there a scientific reason or something?

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

RE:Why can't you keep SRCs?

Post by GJorgy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:39 pm

For some reason they are considered threatened. I can't keep the dollies off the line fishing shallow around Camano Island either...same reason, threatened. I guess the numbers are down in some regions enough to cause the game dept to close it statewide.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:54 pm

They are open for retention in the rivers.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:36 pm

You can keep them in Lk Wash. too.They follow the salmon /steelhead runs .
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:48 pm

There 100% native and an amazing sports fish. Look at it this way, if you can keep salmon, why worry about keeping sea run cutts?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 pm

fishndude wrote: Just wondering why that is since they were biting like yellow perch out there. It just doesn't seem to make sense that you can keep salmon, but not these guys. Is there a scientific reason or something?
Salmon and SRCs are a completely different fish. Just cause they were biting well for ya, doesn't mean you should be able to keep em. They seem to be heavily concentrated in certain areas and often are found in pods. If you find one, then fishing can be great. There aren't a ton of em, and if we could keep em in the salt, their population would be heavily reduced b/c these fish are such eager biters...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishndude
Petty Officer

Post by fishndude » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:00 am

A9 wrote:
fishndude wrote: Just wondering why that is since they were biting like yellow perch out there. It just doesn't seem to make sense that you can keep salmon, but not these guys. Is there a scientific reason or something?
Salmon and SRCs are a completely different fish. Just cause they were biting well for ya, doesn't mean you should be able to keep em. They seem to be heavily concentrated in certain areas and often are found in pods. If you find one, then fishing can be great. There aren't a ton of em, and if we could keep em in the salt, their population would be heavily reduced b/c these fish are such eager biters...
Yeah, I was probably just at an area where there were a lot of em. Thanks for the insight everyone.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:36 am

fishndude wrote:I was around the Gig Harbor area with a buddy fishing for salmon last weekend. We couldn't keep the sea-run cutts off of our line. Yet, the regulations state that you can never keep these fish anywhere anytime. Just wondering why that is since they were biting like yellow perch out there. It just doesn't seem to make sense that you can keep salmon, but not these guys. Is there a scientific reason or something?

This is a hugley sought after salt water fly fishery. Like was stated earlier, if you couldn't keep em off your line, then you got real lucky. I see it as kind of like the bass fishery..... people who really dig fishing for them have a lot of respect for the fishery, and therefor catch and release bass and so goes with the cutthroat. Thanks for releasing what you got. :cheers:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:48 pm

On the other side of the picture is that Cutthroat can really destroy alarge ammount of smolt very quickly.Smolt(salmon,steelhead fry)get munched heavily by Cutthroat.I know you think they are such a great sportfish and they are totally fun to catch on ultra light gear.I worry that by releasing them back all the time will take its toll on other game fishing speicies.The other thing is Cutthroat eggs are the best drifting eggs for steelies.Especially in low clear rivers.Im all for CnR as long as other species arent desimated by them.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:08 am

It is my understanding that at one time sea-run cutthroat populations in Washington were dangerously low (like many or most salmon populations are now). So WDFW instituted C n' R only in the salt. Many runs have since totally rebounded, and it is a great wildlife comeback story. In many areas in Puget Sound, or around the south sound atleast, the sea run cutthroat fly fishery is considered a world class fishery.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Never caught one, but i do know they are doing ok in the northern waters (salt/rivers). I can keep 2 over 14", so there must be a fair amount of them around here...
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:48 am

There are 2 that I know of of types of Cutthroats.There is the Sea -Run Cutthroat that like Steelhead get to spawn more then once.The migrate from salt to fresh each year.Then there is the land locked variety.They are usually a bit smaller and I dont know theyre mating rituals .This is what I remember from this. There may be alot of other types but the those are the two types I catch around here.The Lk Wa cuttys get to grow over 5 lbs each.There are nice fat Cuttys to be had in the lakes that are fed by the salt.

Smalma
Warrant Officer

Post by Smalma » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:26 pm

as mentioned some rivers cutthroat are fair game (2 fish 14 inch minimum size limit usually). The rub is that the status of the various cutthroat populations is a mixed bag. When you catch fish in the salt you do not know whether they are from a population that is doing well or not. To protect those weak stocks the salt water fishery is CnR; once the fish sort themselves out by returning to the river you are allowed to keep them in some rivers..

Tight lines
Curt