how do i trout fish.....

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AceSR
Angler

how do i trout fish.....

Post by AceSR » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Really lol i grew up in idaho bass fishing now im stationed in WA. and there seems to be a nice amount of trout out here but i see people talking about wedding rings an this an that lol im so lost on the setup. and im wanting more of a bank fishing setup not trolling ( dont own a boat ) lol

Anyways if anyone has a how to on trout fishing "hook" me up :P

Thanks yall.

BTW how is american lake trout fishing from the bank this time of year ?

JT26
Commander

RE:how do i trout fish.....

Post by JT26 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:35 pm

The way i fish from the bank is put a egg weight on your main line then tie on a swivel. After that tie a 12-48 inch leader on (the length can make all the difference. If nothing is biting, shorten it or make it longer.) After you tie the leader on put a small golden eagle claw or gamagatsu egg hook on, throw on two chartreuse power eggs, and your set!
I dont know how fishing american lake is, but during this time of year trout fishing isn't that great. I would wait till november.
And for good numbers wait till april. I dont know how the military works though, so im not sure you will still be here...

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:40 pm

AceSR
Angler

Post by AceSR » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:56 pm

sweet thanks yall

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:19 pm

welcome to the club. try a "trout magnet" lite cast and reel in. you can get them from wal mart or check the web for trout magnets the browns work great. have fun.

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:12 pm

JT26 wrote:Image
Nice diagram JT26

Use some power bait on the trenle it always works for me and sometimes nightcrawlers........enjoy
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:06 pm

bassfanatic wrote:
JT26 wrote:Image
Nice diagram JT26

Use some power bait on the trenle it always works for me and sometimes nightcrawlers........enjoy
Oh i didnt make it, found it at http://www.lakecuyamaca.org with a Google search lol.
I do it just like that, without a treble.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:28 am

If you put on a corkey between the swivle and the hook and use a worm, You can fish in the middle of or above the weeds. I use this about half of the time to fish the bottom.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:09 pm

I like using a set up of light tackle, a casting bobber, 2 pound test leader, and size 12/14 black mosquito dry fly. The leader length I typically use is about 4-5 ft. This usually works early morning or evening. Cast out, let it sit until the rings disappear and slowly retrieve it in. I also make sure and have some maggots available and tip the fly w/these. I have caught some nice trout and other species doing this too.
"One more......."

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 am

I noticed the treble hook in JT's diagram. If I may, just a note about treble hooks and power bait. A few seasons ago while fishing Lake Ki following the opener, I switched to a treble hook after missing several strikes using power bait on the bottom. When I switched to the treble hook the bites stopped and ultimately I discovered that the bait lying on the bottom out of the strike zone because the treble hook was too heavy and the fish were holding about 3 feet from the bottom. Anyway, great diagram JT, I just wanted to add that tid bit about treble hooks and power bait. You could also toss lures which is kinda like trolling. Maybe throw some Vibrex spinners, Roosters, or maybe some Kastmasters just to name a few. All catch fish. I also like Jens suggestion using a casting bobber and a fly. I've caught many nice trout using that method. So if you don't want to sit there and wait for a fish to find your bait, try throwing some gear. Lastly, when the lakes first receive the plant of trout, these fish remain below the surface in the top 5 to 7 feet of water for about a month. That is prime time to hang a worm under a bobber or toss the casting bobber with your choice of offering fly or otherwise. This is also effective in the evening throughout the season when the fish are on the surface feeding. AceSR, Welcome to WALakes.com. Good luck fishin and be safe.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:13 pm

Dave have you been in my tackle box? Lol, but yes, those lures are EXACTLY what I have in my box..preferrably gold. Silver vibrax and my favorite the rooster tail...Gold blade- usually about 1/16 oz will do. And if a lake is just planted the gold kastmaster gets slammed- absolutely slammed...
"One more......."

AceSR
Angler

Post by AceSR » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:55 pm

well cool thanks, i bought some corkeys and checked out the back of some "trout" lures and read up figured out how to rig um up which is the same as the diag you gave me. so im going to setup and see if i cant catch one or two hahaha washington fish hate me.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:17 pm

Jens, good fishermen / women think alike. :) I have always done well with the Roostertail spinners. I especially like the green one but have an assortment of colors in my box. You never know what the fish might be looking for. I also love trolling the Dick Nite spoons and absolutely kill em on Cranberry lake @ Deception Pass for about 6 weeks after the plant using the green and pearl. I always seem to come up with a hold over when I fish Cranberry as well. In Heart Lake (Anacortes) I do great using the red flatfish with black dots on it. After reading a post from Sam K I changed out all my flatfish hooks to single Gama hooks and the hook set increased dramatically. I missed almost no strikes after the change. I'll stop rambling. Good fishin all.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:03 pm

First time I ever trolled was with a frog colored flatfish! I also use size 70 hotshots too. But with Roostertails, I also catch bass with them as well. I don't do well with powerbait or powereggs, but really haven't given it a try..when all else fails, I use a nightcrawler.
"One more......."

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:24 pm

For me,..I have 2 methods that are very simple and payoff well.

First and most basic. Ye olde..powerbait with sinker. Range anywhere between 1-3 feet above lake bottom.
But I strongly encourage to have intentions of keeping your catch. 75% of the time,the trout swallows the bait.

Number 2 and probably my favorite. Spoons,..Kastmaster to be exact for me. It can keep you a little busy when you get bored with powerbait fishing.And I've caught some big trout on 'em.
Acme Lures owes me some cash for advertisment,..I've caught all kinds of trout,some smallies and a muskie with the kastmaster.
Ok,acme,...wheres my money? shirt,more lures?:-"

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:15 pm

I do a lot of trout fishing from shore too. How to fish really depends on what type of trout you are fishing for, whether or not they are stocked trout, and what time of the year it is (temp of water). However for me a couple different methods work.
I like to use the egg sinker with a swivel and a liter with a small egg hook bait with some powerbait for stocked trout. For native trout I like to cast a couple of different lures, mepp's, rapalas. ALso I find that using a bobber with a night crawler works very well at times.
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:17 am

and to add to this list: SCENT. I use garlic, anise, and crawfish...smelly jelly. Bass love the crawfish scent too- have caught a lot fishing for trout using craw scent.
"One more......."