The State of the Spawn

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
noclothes1
Lieutenant

The State of the Spawn

Post by noclothes1 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:37 am

I'm a new bass fisher and have been bit by the bug. I am now obsessed. Unfortunately I have no boat but I do ok from the shore for a noob. Anyway, what is the status on the spawn? With the weather I have no clue how it has affected the water temps. I was in the 80's over here in Whatcom county, now it is in the 50-60's. I have researched that the bass spawn around May to June. What are other's experiences? What's the word so far this year?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

Rizzla
Petty Officer

RE:The State of the Spawn

Post by Rizzla » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:20 pm

honestly i dont really kno. i do alot more of my fishing over on the eastside and from what i can see the spawn in if not finished just about to wrap up. over here tho everyone is tellin me that the water is still too cold. and i heard from someone that they said that some bass haven't even spawned yet. so i cant tell you. i can tell you that i havent done well on this side of the state becuz the water is still to cold. if you are on the west side of wa my personal advice in find a nice small shallow lake and fish that up until another few more weeks. the smaller lakes warm up faster on a nice day. good luck

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:40 pm

on most lakes the spawn is either done or finishing up.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:01 pm

All done from what I've found....Every lake is different though, and you can find some late spawners here and there...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Wilkstr
Petty Officer

Post by Wilkstr » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:17 am

Bass typically spawn when the water temp gets 65-70 degrees.
<*)))))><

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:37 pm

i saw bass spawning about a month ago here in a small lake in pierce cty. now i cant find them congregating on the beds anymore so i assume its all done at this particular lake. the bite was slow back then for me, couldnt get them interested in anything even if it was right in front of them.

hows the bite change after spawn? are they just too tired to strike on reaction, or are they hungrier now that they are done?

Wilkstr
Petty Officer

Post by Wilkstr » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:30 pm

Most bass will be in the zone between deep and shallow water (the flats) after the spawn. Some will go deep to recoup, but the water will still be cold, so most of them will be in the zone mentioned before. Bass that have migrated to the back of coves and flats associated with major creeks will begin to feed in the areas around the spawning beds before they move out to the more deeper waters during summer. Start fishing near the spawning beds; stay on the flat casting out away from the shore. You need to pattern them to see what they are biting on.
I don’t know why you wouldn’t catch ‘em if you saw them on the beds, they are pretty aggressive when they are protecting the nest.
Hope that helps, I am certainly no expert, but this has been my experience.
:compress:
<*)))))><

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:34 pm

I noticed Sunday fishing twin lakes here buy Rathdrum that the spawn here is over and even the fry has hatched. A couple beds still had the male around but most of it is done.

Wilkstr
Petty Officer

Post by Wilkstr » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Is twin pretty good fishing?
2 lakes right? (hence the name)
Which one is the better of the two?
<*)))))><

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:55 pm

They were just suspended near the bottom around weeds and i saw schools of 30-40 of them. barely moving, looked at my senko and just ignored it. It was in about 10' of clear water so maybe they saw the boat above them. no idea why they didn't bite, figured they were just tired. maybe it was not the beds (im no bass guy), but i figured it was since they were all congregated together.