Browns in Summer

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
physher92
Petty Officer

Browns in Summer

Post by physher92 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:52 am

Well, I think I'm going to be heading down to a Cranberry Lake in Island County to some camping and thought I'd try a little fishing as well. I know that there are some good brown trout in there and have caught them earlier in the year but have never had much luck in summer. Also there is a lot of algae in the water right now and it is relatively warm water. Does anybody have any ideas?
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go

big fish lite line
Commander

RE:Browns in Summer

Post by big fish lite line » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:41 am

I think if I would try night fishing or else focus on late evening and early morning. if the algae is a problem it might be time to resort to the dreaded pop gear. I wonder if the big browns come up shallow during nighttime to feed... its possible.

check out this maptopographic

notice the deep 25ft whole its possible they will be congregated in the deeper colder water.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 am

physher92 wrote:Well, I think I'm going to be heading down to a Cranberry Lake in Island County to some camping and thought I'd try a little fishing as well. I know that there are some good brown trout in there and have caught them earlier in the year but have never had much luck in summer. Also there is a lot of algae in the water right now and it is relatively warm water. Does anybody have any ideas?
When are you going? I'll be there Sept 4 thru Sept 8.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Might try PM to Dave,he's in this area and might be able to help.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:00 pm

:^o [-( I have never caught a brown at night on a bass plug, especially not a frog pattern Rapala Skitterpop during the summer. :-$ :-# :-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:49 am

Yep I think it would be pretty tough to catch a brown in the summer here. I went there this weekend and the water was just way to warm for any trout. I think your best bet would probably be to fish the night to morning when there is a moon out so the fish can see something. I would have tried that but was too worn out to go chasing a possible fish. You could probably catch some there in the fall.
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:56 am

physher92 wrote:Yep I think it would be pretty tough to catch a brown in the summer here. I went there this weekend and the water was just way to warm for any trout. I think your best bet would probably be to fish the night to morning when there is a moon out so the fish can see something. I would have tried that but was too worn out to go chasing a possible fish. You could probably catch some there in the fall.
Ok, Thanks. I'll make sure do most of my serious fishing first thing in the morning. Im looking at the topo so hopfully the 25 ft area is easily accessable. Were looking at hitting Pass Lake and Lake Campbell as well. I'll post when I get back. Thanks again.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:57 pm

I think with this hot weather we are having the trout are going to be lethargic and right on the bottom in the deepest part of the lake which is along the road. As mentioned above, I would agree that first light (O Dark 30) would be the best time to fish. Or the last hour before dark. If I was in a boat, I would slow troll Rapalas right off the bottom or from shore maybe bait fish using a marshmallow and night crawler 1.5 to 2 feet off the bottom. I love to fish this lake in April and May and sometimes even into June until the water warms and the bite slows down. This lake is a great fishery that receives minimal boat fishing pressure and the rainbow seem to be in the same spot every year and are aggressive during that time of year. Limiting is common place until the water warms up and the fish slow their feeding cycle. A year and a half ago they planted the lake with a large number of browns and in all my trips trolling my usual green Dicknite spoon I only caught one brown. That leads me to believe that most of the browns in this lake don't get targeted or caught. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:55 pm

Just got back from jump off joe... Mid july a local hooked a 14 pound foot ball brown. We fished right on the bottom and with a corkey about a foot and a half off the bottom, got a couple 16 inchers and some smaller ones. That was after bassen didnt pan out..
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Wow, 14 pound... nice fish.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:16 am

Just got back from Deception Pass St Park, the weather was great. Didnt see much fish action this trip. The lake (Cranberry) is heavily stained and the alge is heavy in spots. I cant believe they have let the dock and concrete by the dock get in such bad shape, really dissapointing. The trip was a blast though, I really like this park.

Cranberry Lake Report
Attachments
HPIM2030_resize.JPG
HPIM2030_resize.JPG (45.77 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
HPIM2159_resize.JPG
HPIM2159_resize.JPG (54.4 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:55 pm

yep, no doubt this a fantastic park, great place to stay. key to fishing it though is get there early in the ear. Feb-June is when the fishing is worth going for in my opinion. Although I did catch a few trout out of there a couple of weeks ago.But very, very slow. attached is some pictures of some browns I have caught out of there.
Attachments
Miscelaneos_114.jpg
Miscelaneos_114.jpg (485.32 KiB) Viewed 2021 times

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:14 pm

sweet pic whos that guy holding those fish?:-#
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Basstard
Petty Officer

Post by Basstard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 pm

if the water is warm trout go deep. I would toss a worm out in the deep spots. They will hit a worm. I thought about heading over there this weekend to.
Good luck..

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:30 am

Sweet, just got my Deception Pass camping reservations handled for summer '09. Had to do it early since we wanted to be there over the 4th of July. I cant believe how many spots are already reserved.

It would be fun to meet up with some of you from that area and wet some lines when we are there. :cheers:
Attachments
BusyPark.JPG
BusyPark.JPG (132.09 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.