Burbot ? The freshwater Cod

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Burbot ? The freshwater Cod

Post by PaulReilly » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:29 am

Hello All,

I've recently read a report that stated there are Burbot in many eastern washington fisheries.

I've never heard of, or know anyone that targeted these species? I'd like to catch one to add it to my list of 'fish caught'

Anyone know any technics - how deep you need to fish, etc?

Any info on these fish would be appreciated!

bpm2000
Captain

RE:Burbot ? The freshwater Cod

Post by bpm2000 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:41 am

They are in Chelan I believe! Never tried myself but sounds fun.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:11 am

I've also heard they are in Roosevelt, but I've never fished for, nor caught any there or anywhere else.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:51 pm

As always, ten plus years of reports and articles on this site. Do a serch (the web site search, not the forum search) for burbot or fresh water lings.

Here's my article from lake Chelan:

Burbot

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:34 pm

nice article Mike.

I have very little burbot experience. I have caught two in the midwest, landed one for a friend, and saw one other but got off next to the boat. Here is my experience.

I have caught two HUGE burbot (eelpout to me, most people in the midwest call them dogfish also) myself, both accidentally. They were both 28-30", and about 10 lbs. Funny enough, i was pike fishing with live bait (minnow) under a bobber both times. I swear both times i thought for sure they were pike, fought like son of a guns. To my surprise, once near the boat, i realized they WERE NOT PIKE!! I was surprised to see them hit live bait, pretty aggressive in my book. I did land a 6lber for a friend once, and that was on a walleye rig drifting. So they can be aggressive hunters. Biguns are a GREAT fight. Watch out also, as they are very slimy. I have never eaten one, and don't think i will. (ok, maybe once...i'll try anything once) let us know how you do...

Mike...how were those ones to fillet?? You say they tasted pretty good, huh?? are they like a catfish to clean?? I suppose once you get past the ugly mug and slime, they may have potential...
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:17 am

Ive caught a few as soon as the ice leaves banks lake, jigging for Walleye (3/8 jig, 3" twister tail with some crawler). Great fight, ugly as sin... Not that tasty fried, boiled in Mt.Dew dip in butter, not horrible.
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 am

Mike - Great report, you are the master!

If anyone is guide or has a seat on a boat sometime, PM me - I need to catch one of these bad boys!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:21 pm

Our guide, Anton, cleaned it, but no worse than cleaning a bullhead I guess, without the spikes. I thought they tasted rpetty good. I beieve they are called fesh-water lobster by some. I don't know if I'd go that far...

I think lake chelan is your best bet in this state although I know they are listed in other lakes along I-90 like Cle Elum and Keechelus.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Our guide, Anton, cleaned it, but no worse than cleaning a bullhead I guess, without the spikes. I thought they tasted rpetty good. I beieve they are called fesh-water lobster by some. I don't know if I'd go that far...

I think lake chelan is your best bet in this state although I know they are listed in other lakes along I-90 like Cle Elum and Keechelus.
These lakes are loaded with 'em. But you forgot Kachess:-" haha

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:33 am

that's right, thanks. BTW, the meat has a blue hue to it.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:20 pm

great artical, you havent changed much in the last few years. i think i have to get up to chelan to try fishing for them some day.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:16 pm

aka Poor man's lobster...

aka eelpout...

aka wtf is that...

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:33 pm

vancouverhandyman wrote:great artical, you havent changed much in the last few years. i think i have to get up to chelan to try fishing for them some day.
Oh, a few more grey hairs and a little less energy and willingness to be miserable.

Try the lower basin, look for underwater humps. And be ready to catch macks if you jig because they will hit those same jigs you use for lings. Man, I've gtta get over there one of these years as well...

db77
Petty Officer

Post by db77 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:32 pm

About 5 years ago I caught 3 small ones about 8-12 inches out of Baker lake. I was fishing of the bottom at the mouth of feeder streams with nightcrawlers when I caught them.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:35 pm

aka Poor man's lobster...

aka eelpout...

aka wtf is that...
lol:cheers:
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Incredible article Mike. Very well written. I had never seen that before. Now I am curious about the fish, but not to the extent that I will go out and target them. :-"
Are they decent fighters?

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:13 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote: I swear both times i thought for sure they were pike, fought like son of a guns. Biguns are a GREAT fight.
IMO, yes fishn'....much like a big cat or carp or even.......PIKE!
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I have not fished for them in WA, but I did in Montana (Canyon Ferry Res.) about 15 years ago. We ice fished for them, using 3/8 oz or bigger double curly tail jigs, usually in 50' or deeper water.

I agree, they are ugly, and they don't taste all that well fried IMHO. Nevertheless, poor man's lobster they can be. If you boil them in salt water (like a lobster), than dip them in seasoned butter (like a lobster), they are pretty darn good.

You know, that was the first time I ever saw anyone use WD-40 as a fish attractant scent. :-"
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Lake Kachees had Burbot for years.I know that they did a big poison of the lake a few years ago .I dont know if Burbot were put back in or not.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Avid Walleye guys will tell you they fight just like a Walleye, and I agree. Which usally isnt much a fight, unless the fish is over 5 pounds.