A list of bait stores? How to find bait stores.

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
urbanangler
Warrant Officer

A list of bait stores? How to find bait stores.

Post by urbanangler » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:23 pm

This morning I was disappointed in trying to buy worms, but finding two bait stores having none. In the past I have wondered where all of the stores I can buy bait are at, especially convenience stores or other small stores. In my area of Seattle, I know of Fred Meyers and Joe's for selling bait. But I have heard that some 7-11 stores sell bait.

Do you know of a web site or other way to find stores that sell bait? If not, should we compile a list on WL.com?
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:A list of bait stores? How to find bait stores.

Post by Toni » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:00 pm

Do you have a Wal-mart in your area? I use to buy them there but this year Joe's has been cheaper.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Ace Hardware sells them. Probably any sporting goods store.

Not really sure about any methods other than trial and error.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Check the convenience stores & gas stations around popular fishing ares. They will have worms for sure.

It's all about supply & demand...
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:45 pm

The easiest thing to do is to build your own worm bin. Get some old planks and build a box about 3 feet long, 2 feet wide, 2 feet deep. You can go bigger or smaller.

Fill it with compost, and collect worms and nightcrawlers from your garden or after a heavy rain. They'll last for years.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Soak an area in your lawn for a few hours "preferably into the night" Get 2 copper coat hangers, cut them so you have 2 2' long straight pieces,curl the ends in a small hook,get old 2 wire extension cord cut female end off,spread sheating apart about 3' attach wire to to copper"1 wire to each rod" wrap with electrical tape,stuff rods in ground about 2-3'apart go plug in male end for about 1minute come back and grab all the worms "does not kill them" just a little shock.Repeat all around your lawn and you will fill up fast.
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:05 pm

SPARKY101 wrote:Soak an area in your lawn for a few hours "preferably into the night" Get 2 copper coat hangers, cut them so you have 2 2' long straight pieces,curl the ends in a small hook,get old 2 wire extension cord cut female end off,spread sheating apart about 3' attach wire to to copper"1 wire to each rod" wrap with electrical tape,stuff rods in ground about 2-3'apart go plug in male end for about 1minute come back and grab all the worms "does not kill them" just a little shock.Repeat all around your lawn and you will fill up fast.
:-k :-k Wow, that is quite an experiment in electronics. I had to read it twice. But it sounds cool.

Urban angler, I know your pain. We live not far from each other. By about August the worm supply in the Fred Myr. and Joe's places goes from just plain dead and rotten in the fridges, to nothing available. When people talk about finding them in gas stations near fishing areas, that is true out in the rural areas but not in the city. Joe's at Northgate is my saving grace, but they are prob. gone now too. Actually I just realized that Outdoor Emporium on 4th Ave downtown stocks them, and if any place is going to keep things in stock it would be Outdoor E. If you haven't been there before, bring your visa because you will go home with a boat load of cool tackle. I hope you add on to this thread with your findings.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:35 pm

Just remember to turn it off befor you step into the grass.

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:54 pm

SPARKY101 wrote:Soak an area in your lawn for a few hours "preferably into the night" Get 2 copper coat hangers, cut them so you have 2 2' long straight pieces,curl the ends in a small hook,get old 2 wire extension cord cut female end off,spread sheating apart about 3' attach wire to to copper"1 wire to each rod" wrap with electrical tape,stuff rods in ground about 2-3'apart go plug in male end for about 1minute come back and grab all the worms "does not kill them" just a little shock.Repeat all around your lawn and you will fill up fast.
So sparky if I try this at home will you supervise?

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:45 pm

papamike wrote:Just remember to turn it off befor you step into the grass.
Oh excuse me for the common sense part#-o Guess i shouldnt leave that out!!! Or just wear a pair of NIKE's that'll work:cheers:

Team OLYBOYZ

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:47 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:
So sparky if I try this at home will you supervise?
Dude just use your tazer that will work,How come we dont use that when were fishing for the follow up bait haha :shaking: But yes i will make you one :study:

Team OLYBOYZ

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:39 am

If your fishing Lake Wa. on South Alaska Street and Wilson Ave South there is a lil convience store.They sell Doc's Worms.I havent yet gotten bad ones from there.I believe the store is called Noahs.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:13 am

I got nightcrawlers from Fred Meyer about a month ago, fridge was full of good ones. Thats the first place I check.
I used to go out when it rains hard at night and try to grab them along the edges of the sidewalk in the grass, that was fun.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:45 am

Linc's Bait and Tackle shop on 501 Rainier Ave. S. takes pride in always having fresh bait as well as lively worms and maggots. Their number is 206-324-7600. Also you may try a search by "bait" in the online yellow pages, I just ran it got a bunch of hits.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Lincs is cool.They are 1 block from my business.They are very long time Seattle fisherpeople.They are the major sponsor of the Tengu Derby.Their father Linc Beppu invented the okie drifter of long ago steelhead lure muck like the corkie.Ifin you never been in their store its a fishermans dream store.Stuff from the 1920's on up.Its a fishing museum.

I was reading about the electrical worm finder.Water the lawn put in the metal rods and Crawlers will literally dance from the ground.You can use a 12 volt battery ifin your on the road.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:40 pm

i remember using a "worm finder" when I was a kid. But if i remember right the worms were never the same. They would be lethargic and have a shorter life span. I don't have anything to back that up except for my failing memories.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:39 am

Heck, skagit county is littered with shops that have bait.

Just drive around and look in the windows of stores and gas stations...they almost all have little white signs that say "NightCrawlers sold here" or "We have bait."

Another trick to get worms is to go to your local lumber store and buy a sheet of plywood or some 8-10" wide sections of pine (or something cheap). Soak the ground and soak the board, then just leave it lay in the yard. Come back in a couple days and the worms will be taking shelter under the board in the moist ground.

I leave a board or two out behind the shed in the dirt...there are new worms there every time I need some for fishing.

If you want to start a worm farm, but are lazy, check out your local joes/sportsmans/etc.
You can buy large bags of bedding for $3 and a styrofoam, insulated "farm" for $3-5 more...they even have ganulated worm "food" for ~$1. Just leave the farm in the garage (if it stays cool) and add a little moisture once in a while. Easy!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:24 am

Hey Biskit at least you still have a memory to lose.I lost mine when I turned 50.(really all through the 60's too)

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am

Good way to look at it racfish ... I will try to hold onto it as long as possible ... laughs.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.