building a new pontoon.

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
VHMLLC
Commander

building a new pontoon.

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:10 pm

im building a new standing pontoon from my ODC classic 8ft pontoon. trial and error. but turning out cool. here is the rough draft.
Attachments
standingtoon.jpg
standingtoon.jpg (108.32 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:building a new pontoon.

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:29 pm

Interesting. Looks great. Won't that restrict you to using oars only though?
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:04 pm

what oars? never installed them on the toon. i bought a minn 30# and i cruise very well. this is the frame in paint stage. notice the square block on the front (closest to the bottom) thats the motor mount. the frame is now ridged. the new square tubes in the middle are to support me fat carcus.

the oar mounts are for the tackel box mount on one side and fishing buddy on the other side.

before i tore it apart i was out at la camas and over heard a dad telling his son's "thats a floating arm chair".
i laughed my butt off and snickered the rest of the day.

:viking:
Attachments
BOATPAINT..jpg
BOATPAINT..jpg (134.16 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:44 pm

vancouverhandyman: Do you sell poontoon's?

I've been searching hard for either a float tube or poontoon? I'm looking at purchasing a used one more than likely, just in case I don't like it...
Go Huskies!

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:10 pm

topdawg47 wrote:vancouverhandyman: Do you sell poontoon's?

I've been searching hard for either a float tube or poontoon? I'm looking at purchasing a used one more than likely, just in case I don't like it...

not yet still playing with the ones i have.
i have two odc classics that i'm modifying to meet my needs.this is a hobby for me. if it takes off great. i can tell you that you can get a pontoon from the web, for under $250.00

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Chin_nook
Petty Officer

Post by Chin_nook » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:41 pm

I was thinking of doing something similar to my ODC Sport 8'. So how much extra weight did you add to it? Is that Aluminum Plating your using? Would you mind sharing the thickness? Also and never crossed my mind...placing the trolling motor mount up front...did you reverse the head of the trolling motor ?

I am 5'9 and weigh about 165lbs. When I place a trolling motor on my toon, I have to really place the frame pretty far forward on the bladders or else I look like I am pulling some serious plane on the lake. Is that what compelled you to do this project?

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Chin_nook wrote:I was thinking of doing something similar to my ODC Sport 8'. So how much extra weight did you add to it? Is that Aluminum Plating your using? Would you mind sharing the thickness? Also and never crossed my mind...placing the trolling motor mount up front...did you reverse the head of the trolling motor ?

I am 5'9 and weigh about 165lbs. When I place a trolling motor on my toon, I have to really place the frame pretty far forward on the bladders or else I look like I am pulling some serious plane on the lake. Is that what compelled you to do this project?
answer, about 30 pounds 1/8 inch alum plate (freightliner) and 1" thin walled square tube. i removed the seat brackett and welded my own up that would displace the weight. yes i reversed the head the head..

yes and no, i wanted to try standing thats what they do on the bass boats, i had it rigged for sitting . the battery sat behind the seat (7"riser on the seat) to balance the trolling motor on the front . it was very stable in the water i took 2.5 foot rollers at mayfield lake and fun ride.. im 5'9" 220 and still had 2" under the "plate". this is a very stable platform to work with. if any one wants info email me. the bottom picture is the first motor mount.

Attachments
motor_mount.jpg
motor_mount.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
bumpersticker.jpg
bumpersticker.jpg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:32 pm

It looks great! Show us the finished product on the water. You may really have something there.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:51 pm

hopefully next weekend at willapa bay.

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:32 pm

more updated photo. i took the bar off it was to far forward even on the grass. put hte seat back on with a tall seat post. will see how it does tomorrow night at battle ground.

Attachments
standing.jpg
standing.jpg (144.93 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:It looks great! Show us the finished product on the water. You may really have something there.

nope tryed it monday night it was alittle to unstable for my tastes. but it very nice to step onto the boat from a dock and not have to wear waders.

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:24 pm

what about making it a little wider
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:48 pm

vancouverhandyman wrote:
Marc Martyn wrote:It looks great! Show us the finished product on the water. You may really have something there.

nope tryed it monday night it was alittle to unstable for my tastes. but it very nice to step onto the boat from a dock and not have to wear waders.

I was wondering about that. I think you have to have a two man boat for it to be stable enough for you to stand up in. Mike Carey has a two man boat. He posted pictures of it on a thread that I can't remember.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:49 pm

papamike wrote:what about making it a little wider
you could make it wider but your already at close to 60" to the outside of the bladders.the seat platform is 24" wide by 48 " long. adding the flool was awsome you can put your feet anywhere instead of just the stirrups.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Looks real good. what about some thing like out riggers to add after its at the lake or in the water? My brother did that with his canoe so his wife would fish with him.

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Thats a good lookin pontoon, keep at it!

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Define unstable....is it unstable side to side, or front to rear? I have a single seat pontoon that I stand up on a regular basis and don't seem to have much trouble with regards to balance. I do notice a slight difference when weighted down with a cooler, battery and gear and when not. But overall, it is quite stable.

How is the weight distribution across the pontoons? If you could swing it, you may get a good idea of weight distribution by loading up the pontoon just as it were going to be used and set it on bathroom scales (4 ea.). One in each corner and see where the most weight is and adjust from there. Might even check it while standing on it, and not just to see the difference.

Just food for thought...
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:09 pm

unstable might not have been the best word. it was not to my liking but i could stand up and cast. i like the seat stand (18" bass style) it hits me at the knees and works as a leaning bar for stabliablty. the weight dist, was perfect. battery in the rear under the seat and the trolling motor on thefront. the bladders were a little low that day but it was fun .

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:16 pm

oh, ok...I'm trackin' now. :-D

The 'toon looks good, well put together and I have been looking at it trying to figure out what would cause it to be unstable. I misinterpreted what you were saying. Keep up the good work on the 'toon. :thumleft:
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:30 pm

the frame go's to powder coat this week the floor and rack go to rhino liner.
now i have to build a carry rack for the back of the rv trailer.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.