C&R Stirring Up!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BassHole
Petty Officer

RE:C&R Stirring Up!

Post by BassHole » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:13 pm

In my opinion, C&R is the only way to go. We need to preserve our habitats so that the next generation of Anglers can appreciate the fine art of Angling. It dosen't make any sense to remove a large Bass from it's environment permanently! Take a picture and release it so that it can reproduce. It's a shame to waste such a creature because someone wants to eat it or mount it on a wall. Ever heard of Replicas! JMO,.....!

BH
"Men and fish are alike. They both get in trouble when they open their mouths"!

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:33 pm

I have to admit, I'm a catch and release guy when it comes to Bass, I like the species to much to cut their heads of to fry them up.

On the other hand, I do keep perch, crappie, and the occasional trout when possible.

It reminds me that every single piece of meat we eat, was at one time a living creature. I like to feel a slight twinge of guilt when I have to kill the fish. I like to teach my son about the circle of life, and above all, to respect the creatures we share the world with.

Modern Man buys a nice package of meat at the grocery store, and often times, never thinks twice of he origins. Catching, Killing, and eating some fish reminds me of those 'roots'

Mind you, I think it is important to keep fish responsibly, not only within state limits, but only what the person can effectively eat in the near distant future. I also think it is only reponsible to use as much of the fish as possible.

On another note, with the current financial situation the country is in, every bit helps to provide for my family. It makes me feel good to know I caught dinner.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:02 am

I'll keep RBT and the occasional big Perch,..I usually give the RBT 2 a friend,..about the only fish I really enjoy is Ocean Catch,..Hallibut, Cod. Sometimes Salmon 2. The Bass is way 2 prescious a resource 2 deplete. They have a pretty long life span so there's a good chance in a smaller lake/pond 2 land the fish again or for someone else 2 enjoy the catch. So definately C&R Bass!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:58 am

Catch and release only works if there is habitat and forage enough to sustain a large population.
If you want to catch bigger fish then keep some of the smaller ones. JMO!
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:49 am

YellowBear wrote:Catch and release only works if there is habitat and forage enough to sustain a large population.
If you want to catch bigger fish then keep some of the smaller ones. JMO!
Sounds good to me. 4 smaller filets are just as tasty as 2 larger ones. Even though some say the large ones taste funny compared to smaller fish.

Cant believe this is such a big issue... really.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:27 am

I made a comment on C&R in a past thread and I want a way to better clarify my position.Bass,Muskie,Pike,Dogfish,Ratfish,Bullheads are all C&R fish.I dont kill anything except Pike Minnow(squaw fish).When I made my comment on the negative side of C&R I was thinking of fish on the endangered list or fish that the WDFW deem not fishable due to poor returns.Like I said I dont kill Dogfish cuz as soon as a Doggy is cut open all the Doggies from 10 miles all around come in for the free meal.Soon youre changing leaders so fast that it becomes a pain.I'll take alot of fish home when I catch them.But usually Trout ,salmon,Perch,Crappie and blugills.You can eat the fish with mercury or a nother choice is ground beef with Ecoli,or beef with Anthrax or hoof and mouth disease.I'll take my chances with the mercury.
C&R is great .Its a great way to perpetuate future fishing.But the reality side is I'm a big boy who loves eating fresh fish.Contrary to somes beliefs I have no fish saved in my freezer.If I do its chum for crabbing.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:04 pm

:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"