Cost of mounting/taxidermy fish

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Cost of mounting/taxidermy fish

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:14 pm

Has anyone had a fish mounted, i.e. taxidermy etc, and can you give an idea of the price? I know some of the muskie guys have done so, but those are bigger fish than most, and prob. pretty pricey.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Cost of mounting/taxidermy fish

Post by kevinb » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:23 pm

quadradomus wrote:Has anyone had a fish mounted, i.e. taxidermy etc, and can you give an idea of the price? I know some of the muskie guys have done so, but those are bigger fish than most, and prob. pretty pricey.
Most muskie anglers I know,do replicas.Seems like the average range is from $800-$1,000.
I know this doesn't answer your question but just giving you a rough idea for "muskie"

What are you looking to have done?

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:28 pm

a guy i vancouver does (bulls eye)taxidermy he charges:
bass all $11.50 per INCH
crappie all $165.00 each
pan fish 155.00 each
driftwood included on all panfish mounts
salmon all 12.50/inch
steelhead 12.50/ inch
sturgeon / inch (ouch)
trout all 11.75/inch
walleye 11.50 / inch
360 521 0720

just happend to have the flyer.

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

MackPrince
Petty Officer

Post by MackPrince » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:31 pm

In 1997 I paid $12 and inch for a 15 lb. mackinaw. Around $450 total.
Some costs are different by species and taxidermists, I've seen recent rates as high $18 an inch depending on the shop.
This is why some of the big 'uns become dinner or are released.

Some replicas are cheaper and paint the mold of a like size fish with the scale patterns from your fish's pictures.

-Good info handyman we posted at the same time :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a kid fishing and make some reel memories.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Hey Quad,..it might be cheaper 2 get a Fiberglass Replica,..yes? I'm curious like you though!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:48 am

BrownBomber wrote:Hey Quad,..it might be cheaper 2 get a Fiberglass Replica,..yes? I'm curious like you though!

BB

BB & others,,

I am so far from catching anything that I would ever even consider mounting, that it is not much of a concern really. Plus 90% of my fish are C/R. I will look at a very large fish like that recent Colmumbia river bass, and I can't help but wonder what the costs are. However, I wasn't aware of the replica thing, and for that matter a replica is a better way to go in the long run (if you believe in C\R )----------- side note. I think that I will add C/R up there with just a couple of the worlds greatest debates, i.e. (whether or not to breast feed your child, ) those of you who are parents will understand, LOL
also, Pro-life vs. Pro choice, All things that we can only agree to disagree on.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:21 am

Yea I think it's a way better way 2 go Chris,..take a pic and release 4 someone else 2 catch and 2 replenish the waters,..take it 2 the Taxidermist,..show him the pic,..and there ya go,..probly cheaper 2,..from what I understand the Taxidermist wants the fish 2 "not be gutted" when you bring it in,..I like the replica idea better though,..makes alot more sense 2 me.

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:04 pm

I think the only way I'd go the taxidermy route is if the catch was too injured to survive post catch. If you've got the $$ a good replica can be far superior to taxidermied examples.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:29 pm

Good point Eastside!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:14 pm

My muskie buddies use Rick Lax but he does many others besides muskie and pike.
Heres a link if you want to check it out.

http://www.laxreproduction.com/index.html

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:48 pm

It's been 15 years ago (1993), but I had a 44" Northern Pike skin mounted by Hunter Fisher Taxidermy in Anchorage, AK. Cost was $10 an inch and a kicker (amount I no longer remember) for each inch over 40 with a lifetime warranty. Mount still looks awesome after all these years. Can't imagine what it would cost to do that today.:cyclops:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:56 pm

hewesfisher wrote:It's been 15 years ago (1993), but I had a 44" Northern Pike skin mounted by Hunter Fisher Taxidermy in Anchorage, AK. Cost was $10 an inch and a kicker (amount I no longer remember) for each inch over 40 with a lifetime warranty. Mount still looks awesome after all these years. Can't imagine what it would cost to do that today.:cyclops:
44inches,....very nice. I've seen good and bad on both sides of replica vs.skin mount.
Its an art form.Some have it and some don't

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:57 am

Locally it averages 12-14/inch. In more southern areas (like Florida or Texas) it's around $10/inch.

I favor fiberglass repros for the ability to retain a quality appearance for a lifetime. Also they are easier to keep clean and maintained. Just take lots of pictures and record lots of measurements to help the artist duplicate your trophy.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:17 am

I always wondered what and how they charged as well. But, if I ever catch anything worth mounting (replica or otherwise) the desicion has already been made for me by my wife. I think the words were something like "in YOUR garage maybe, but any fish that enters this house will be cooked and served for dinner, not hung on a wall."#-o
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker