can you get in trubble for....

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
urbanangler
Warrant Officer

RE:can you get in trubble for....

Post by urbanangler » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Ok, can't help but chime in here. First, I think TheOne's question is a fair one. So why not just answer it with a little less "schooling". Yes, it makes sense to question the wisdom of boating without a PFD, but no need to patronize and condescend.

There has to be a limit to the caution somewhere. Let’s say you aren’t fishing, simply out swimming and floating around. Would the raft be your PFD? At what point are you legally required to have a PFD when out in the water. I think that is the question. Maybe it has been answered in this thread somewhere already.

But, before I scour the regulations and the previous posts here, I thought I would stick up for the guy as the wolves pick him apart. So what if he is not posting perfectly-formed spelling and grammar. Neither am I! Yes, maybe he would get a little more respect in making his points, but I think I understood all he had to say. We are not writing school assignment or job applications here.

Eric
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:
TheOne wrote:well my boat doesnt have a motor..its a sevylor 4 person blow up raft that can have a 3 h.p motor on it.but i mean its not like i cant go out and get a life vest.im just currious cause l8ly ive been going out with out one cause i dont gots one.and i really dont wanna get in trubble.but i highly doubt i would.ive allready ran into a cop.but just to be on the safe side.i just wanted to know.so thank you for all your replys it helped a lot
You gotta think about the "what if" factor too. What if you go in and get tangled in the weeds? What if you get nailed by a skier, jetskier, whatever and are knocked out? What if the clothes you are wearing weigh you down? Swimming with boots, jeans, & a shirt is MUCH different than just in your swimming trunks.
The fact is you only get one chance out there, the water isn't forgiving, if you don't get it right the 1st time, there may not be another chance. A PFD might give you that 2nd chance..
yes that makes loads of sence.but were i go fishing there arnt any skiers out at all.and if there are i try my best 2 keep away from them.cause they scare fish away.but yea what you said makes a lot of sence.thanks man
''Treat people and animals the way you would want to be treated''
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:12 am

shawn wrote:I would wear one especialy in a inflatable.Come on man use your brain some.Accidents happen.You never know what could happen to you out in the water.I would definatefly wear one.If you don't chances are good you could become a statistic.Here is the link to your Question.I'll let you decide.http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/pfds.htm
look dude i know im supposed to ware a life vest if im in a boat.im not stupid. my question is will i get in trubble for not haveing one.cause ive seen many people with out them.and right at this moment i havent got one.i forget about getting one every time im at the store...and thanx for your reply.however ive found out the question i seek.
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:17 am

TheOne wrote:
shawn wrote:I would wear one especialy in a inflatable.Come on man use your brain some.Accidents happen.You never know what could happen to you out in the water.I would definatefly wear one.If you don't chances are good you could become a statistic.Here is the link to your Question.I'll let you decide.http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/pfds.htm
look dude i know im supposed to ware a life vest if im in a boat.im not stupid. my question is will i get in trubble for not haveing one.cause ive seen many people with out them.and right at this moment i havent got one.i forget about getting one every time im at the store...and thanx for your reply.however ive found out the question i seek.

some people.wish to chastise me about my post here.well to make it clear.i know im supposed to wear a life vest if im in a boat.im not stupid.my question is will i get in trubble for not haveing one.and someone has told me what i wish to know so this thread is done and over with.thank you to the people who told me what i needed info on..as to the outher people thank you for your inquiries.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:16 am

The One my intent wasn't to chastise you.If you took it that way I apologize.It's just I had a friend who did wear one either and that ended up being part of his demise.The no life jacket and the booze on the water.The life jacket would of kept him afloat.I never wore them until then.Here is the one I wear
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
It's small cant even notice when fishing.It is auto/mannual,so if I fall in the water it inflates.Or I can pull the cord.I like this one because if by chance I hit my head and knocked out as soon as hit the water boom inflated.Just something to think about.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:35 am

GET A PFD. Should you have any problems in your raft,depending on size of air leak etc. A raft will wrap around your legs and then become an anchor,thus dragging you to the bottom.
The answer is simple. WEAR A LIFE JACKET

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:00 am

urbanangler wrote:Ok, can't help but chime in here. First, I think TheOne's question is a fair one. So why not just answer it with a little less "schooling". Yes, it makes sense to question the wisdom of boating without a PFD, but no need to patronize and condescend.

There has to be a limit to the caution somewhere. Let’s say you aren’t fishing, simply out swimming and floating around. Would the raft be your PFD? At what point are you legally required to have a PFD when out in the water. I think that is the question. Maybe it has been answered in this thread somewhere already.

But, before I scour the regulations and the previous posts here, I thought I would stick up for the guy as the wolves pick him apart. So what if he is not posting perfectly-formed spelling and grammar. Neither am I! Yes, maybe he would get a little more respect in making his points, but I think I understood all he had to say. We are not writing school assignment or job applications here.

Eric
it iz a fare queston.U shuld ware a PFD.sory if my repli cahsed sum trubble. :rabbit:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:10 am

fishing collector wrote:I think your question is really a mute point....Do you want to die?...or not? Life vests are are a cheap way to see the next day of fishing and let your friends have a good weekend.
I was fishing on an opening day and a rafter was near. It was one of the cheaper rafts. The raft popped a seam and went flat in a second. Person went in the water and had to kick loose from the raft. Water was 55 or so degrees.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:15 am

In my boat which is a 16' Smokercraft and very seaworthy.In my boat everyone wears a PFD.No PFD in my boat means you dont go out in my boat.Plain and simple.Ifin you wanna act a fool on my boat you'd better be wearing a PFD.I dont care whats the States law.Its my boat, and my law supercedes all other rules.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 am

The continuing negative comments on a persons spelling and sentence structure on this and other threads is not appropriate. Not all people who post on a forum have exceptional spelling and writing skills.
It is unkind to make fun of a persons post when all they are doing is asking a legitimate question.

Any further negative comments about a persons writing and spelling skills will be deleted.

This forum is open to all people who post in a friendly, appropriate manner regardless of there ability to spell and write well.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:23 am

Very well said.Thank you Marc.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:19 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:The continuing negative comments on a persons spelling and sentence structure on this and other threads is not appropriate. Not all people who post on a forum have exceptional spelling and writing skills.
It is unkind to make fun of a persons post when all they are doing is asking a legitimate question.

Any further negative comments about a persons writing and spelling skills will be deleted.

This forum is open to all people who post in a friendly, appropriate manner regardless of there ability to spell and write well.
Hmm... looks like Marc deleted my last post.

My bad. I didn't realize that sarcasm was banned in WL forums.

Ain't censorship grand? :king:

Whoops, there I go again... :geek:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Life vests should be with any one on the water. One of my buddys AaronE was run over by a boater that seen him and told him we're not going to hit you!!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:51 pm

That would be me, not Marc. Come on man. Ripping on him isn't going to fix his spelling.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:45 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:
Marc Martyn wrote:The continuing negative comments on a persons spelling and sentence structure on this and other threads is not appropriate. Not all people who post on a forum have exceptional spelling and writing skills.

Hmm... looks like Marc deleted my last post.

I guess that I have to clarify a couple of issues here:
1: I did not delete your post, iPodrodder did for the same reason that I stated above.
2: The moderators and administrators do not practice censorship unless it is needed. Here is the Webster's definition of Censor:
censor-
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable <censor the news>
3: Sarcasm when it is belittling towards another member of the site is considered abusive behavior. Here is the definition of Sarcasm:
sarcasm-
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

The Terms of Service for the site clearly states the following:
"Abusive behavior of any sort will not be tolerated and will be grounds for termination."

Several members have posted on this thread and have observed that the posters writing skills are somewhat limited. These people overlooked this and answered or commented on the subject without belittling the poster.

The job of the moderators and administrators of this forum is to protect the rights of all posters from abuse. If we see this behavior, a warning is given about the abusive behavior. If this warning is not heeded, then a period of suspension is placed on the individual expressing abusive behavior. If it continues after the suspension period is lifted, then the abusive member is permanently banned from the site.

I hope that I have made this clear enough for you. Consider this a warning.

Any further discussions on the original subject of the thread is welcome.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:53 am

Thank you Marc,

I'll try to get this back on track.
Legally or not... YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR A LIFE JACKET, jmo

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 pm

Marc, just lock the thread.

Done and Done.

E

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:17 pm

iPodrodder wrote:Dude...must have traded that bike for his extra fish.
iPodrodder wrote:But farm raised Costco salmon is terrible! Give him three fish to make up the difference. It will hold off poaching for a bit longer too.
iPodrodder wrote:Good idea Marc! Dogfish! I'll get four dogfish fresh from the sound, since I saw the saltwater thread you put up.

HillbillyGeek wrote:[Hmm... looks like Marc deleted my last post.

iPodrodder wrote:That would be me, not Marc. Come on man. Ripping on him isn't going to fix his spelling.

Marc Martyn wrote:
I guess that I have to clarify a couple of issues here:
1: I did not delete your post, iPodrodder did for the same reason that I stated above.
2: The moderators and administrators do not practice censorship unless it is needed. Here is the Webster's definition of Censor:
censor-
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable <censor the news>
3: Sarcasm when it is belittling towards another member of the site is considered abusive behavior. Here is the definition of Sarcasm:
sarcasm-
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual

The Terms of Service for the site clearly states the following:
"Abusive behavior of any sort will not be tolerated and will be grounds for termination."

Several members have posted on this thread and have observed that the posters writing skills are somewhat limited. These people overlooked this and answered or commented on the subject without belittling the poster.

The job of the moderators and administrators of this forum is to protect the rights of all posters from abuse. If we see this behavior, a warning is given about the abusive behavior. If this warning is not heeded, then a period of suspension is placed on the individual expressing abusive behavior. If it continues after the suspension period is lifted, then the abusive member is permanently banned from the site.

I hope that I have made this clear enough for you. Consider this a warning.

Any further discussions on the original subject of the thread is welcome.

I'm not taking sides on this issue, nor am i criticizing this site or the Mod's.....but this sure looks like a double standard to me....:-" [-x
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:32 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Marc, just lock the thread.

Done and Done.

E
Hey, that works for me. Look, no one ever said the mods are perfect when it comes to "double standards". The way I see it, we want the Forums and Comments to be places where people can post without feeling like they will get jumped on. None of us are perfect in our pursuit of this goal, but I'm sure all of us agree it is a worthy goal to pursue. I'm justing asking everyone to take a breath and lets move on.

Thanks.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".