can you get in trubble for....

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
TheOne
Warrant Officer

can you get in trubble for....

Post by TheOne » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 am

can you get in trubble for going in a blow up raft without a lifevest even if you only like 100 ft away from shore and you know how to swimm really good .and do you need a boat licens to operate a 3 hp motor? on a blow up raft?????
''Treat people and animals the way you would want to be treated''
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:can you get in trubble for....

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am

TheOne wrote:can you get in trubble for going in a blow up raft without a lifevest even if you only like 100 ft away from shore and you know how to swimm really good
No. Has to be a boat with an engine to apply I believe.
TheOne wrote:and do you need a boat licens to operate a 3 hp motor? on a blow up raft?????
I think you have to be over 10hp to require a license. Check the hand book - http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/wa_specific_i ... entire.pdf
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chin_nook
Petty Officer

Post by Chin_nook » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:58 am

1. (Will you get into trouble with out a PFD 100ft of shore?) Even though you think your a good swimmer, I would redirect that question back at you. 100ft doesn't seem that far and all but take into account the tide/water temp/clothing your wearing. Why take a chance?

2. (Lic. Info.) I hope your blow up raft is a Zodiac or similar. On some waters, size of vessel and hp on motor governs a lic requirement. On water that is federal (Puget/ Lake Union and Lk Washington(?) ) I do believe all motor driven vessels are required to have a hull lic.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 pm

:-" The One... I completly don't mean this to be rude, but can I ask how old you are? sometimes when reading your posts, I think about your life's experience. like I said just curious.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:21 pm

I would wear one especialy in a inflatable.Come on man use your brain some.Accidents happen.You never know what could happen to you out in the water.I would definatefly wear one.If you don't chances are good you could become a statistic.Here is the link to your Question.I'll let you decide.http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/pfds.htm
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:24 pm

Depends on boater age, length of boat, engine size (I think) and if a federally-regulated water. Engine or no-engine is a good question, though.

My brother was surprised to get a stiff verbal warning when he took our grandfather's 12' alum with 6hp motor out on the Spokane River between Post Falls and Coeur d'alene. We had both checked out the regs and being under 15' and under 10hp (I think that was the size limit) we thought he'd be OK. As it turns out, because the river has a dam on it, even a small one by dam standards, it's federally regulated, and therefore all vessels on it had to comply with all the rules.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:02 pm

The way that I understand it is that you have to have one in the boat, one for each person regardless of the size. Children under the age of 12 years old (I think) have to wear one at all times on the water. On moving water like the Spokane River, all people have to be wearing a life vest. Call the WSP or the county sheriff and they will be able to tell you exactly what is required on what waters.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 pm

There MUST be a PFD per person in the vessel regardless of vessel type or size. This applies to human, wind, or engine powered boats on navigable and non-navigable water per state law. When in a powered vessel, a throwable flotation device must also be present.

E

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:36 pm

TheOne,

Good question. You are required to have a life jacket (PDF) on board with you regardless of what type of boat you are in. Further, it is a requirement that there be at least one PDF on board for every individual.

The Law:

All vessels (including canoes and kayaks) must have at least one USCG–approved Type I, II, or III life jacket (PFD) for each person on board.

Correct Marc,

Children 12 years old and younger must wear a USCG–approved life jacket at all times when underway in a vessel less than 19 feet in length, unless in a fully enclosed area.

So if a child under age 12 is in an enclosed part of the boat regardless of boat length, he/she is not required to wear the PDF.

The site: http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/pfds.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:05 pm

WOW! I did not know that. Thnak you for the info. Thank you theone, for asking.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Gisteppo wrote: When in a powered vessel, a throwable flotation device must also be present.

E
Eric, please explain further. Do you mean like a seat cushion or a donut with a rope attached?

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:11 am

That is the typical seat cushion type thing with two handles and foam inside. Life rings come into play on vessels larger than a certain size, which I can't remember off the top of my head. 39'? Not sure...

E

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:20 am

Even if you can swim as good as you spell you need to have a PFD for every person on board. :-"
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:35 am

dilbert wrote:Even if you can swim as good as you spell you need to have a PFD for every person on board. :-"
=d> =d> =d>

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:07 pm

quadradomus wrote::-" The One... I completly don't mean this to be rude, but can I ask how old you are? sometimes when reading your posts, I think about your life's experience. like I said just curious.
dude im only 18.i know sometime what i type doesnt really make that much sence.but spelling isint my best subject and i try my hardest to spell correctly.but as far as life experiance. like i said im 18 i dont got much.but im young and learning.i really am a pretty smart person.but sometimes.i tend to make mistakes here and there.but dont we all.but one things for shure....and we must all try and do this."treat people and animals th way you would like to be treated" i think thats one of the most important things we as people must do!because just by doing that.lol we can make this world a much better place for us all to live in.
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:12 pm

well my boat doesnt have a motor..its a sevylor 4 person blow up raft that can have a 3 h.p motor on it.but i mean its not like i cant go out and get a life vest.im just currious cause l8ly ive been going out with out one cause i dont gots one.and i really dont wanna get in trubble.but i highly doubt i would.ive allready ran into a cop.but just to be on the safe side.i just wanted to know.so thank you for all your replys it helped a lot

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:11 pm

Most web browsers will spell check for you. I use firefox and it immediately underlines words that are misspelled.

Language "purists" may claim that letting a computer do the work for you is cheating, but isn't that really the purpose of a computer -- to do work for us? :cyclopsan

Here's a pic:

Of course your prose has other "issues" (capitalization, punctuation, etc). I've got two teenagers living in my house right now, and it looks like this "compressed" style of writing is commonly used for "instant" and "text" messaging in an effort to improve efficiency. My daughters are perfectly capable of using "proper" English, but they chose not to. Right or wrong, this style of writing often gives the impression that the person writing it "ain't too bright". :rabbit:

Just my 2 cents. :money:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:58 am

TheOne wrote:well my boat doesnt have a motor..its a sevylor 4 person blow up raft that can have a 3 h.p motor on it.but i mean its not like i cant go out and get a life vest.im just currious cause l8ly ive been going out with out one cause i dont gots one.and i really dont wanna get in trubble.but i highly doubt i would.ive allready ran into a cop.but just to be on the safe side.i just wanted to know.so thank you for all your replys it helped a lot
You gotta think about the "what if" factor too. What if you go in and get tangled in the weeds? What if you get nailed by a skier, jetskier, whatever and are knocked out? What if the clothes you are wearing weigh you down? Swimming with boots, jeans, & a shirt is MUCH different than just in your swimming trunks.
The fact is you only get one chance out there, the water isn't forgiving, if you don't get it right the 1st time, there may not be another chance. A PFD might give you that 2nd chance..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 am

I think your question is really a mute point....Do you want to die?...or not? Life vests are are a cheap way to see the next day of fishing and let your friends have a good weekend.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:41 am

You can buy a basic life vest at walmart for $5-6 bucks...not much more than a gallow of gas, or a value meal at any fast food joint. If you can afford either of the aforementioned, you should have not issues whatsoever in affording a life vest. A mediocre, "comfortable" vest can be had for about $12.
I see them at garage sales all the time for $1 or less.

I would want one--especially in an inflatable raft. You're more likely to spring a leak and start taking on water in an inflatable vs. just about anything else. The money you saved ($5-12) is going to be pretty hard to justify when you're exhausted, tanlged, and weighed down in 20 feet of water.....and still 20yds from shore.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.