Lost/Stolen Crab Pots!!

Our hardshelled friends found here.
sunshine
Petty Officer

Lost/Stolen Crab Pots!!

Post by sunshine » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:33 am

I would love to report a great catch in 8-2....the problem is my crab post are GONE!#-o
We dropped em, and jetted out to do some fishing. Turns out there is a REASON people watch their pots. Either the current got em, and they are somewhere out there under the water OR, someone has 4 nice NEW crab pots. Needless to say....very dissapointing weekend. I have heard of people getting their pots picked, but flat out stolen? Does this really happen? I find it hard to believe that the current stole my pots.....especially considering the amout of people crabbing in that area.
Has anyone heard of this happening?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Lost/Stolen Crab Pots!!

Post by Toni » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:11 am

I haven't done any crabbing but I have read on other boards that they have been stolen before. Although I don't recall that all the pots were gone. It is usually one or 2 that disappear.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:08 pm

sorry to hear that sunshine. very disheartening. I'm assuming this was yesterday?? I would go back out and check, to make sure the currents didn't pull the buoys under, and ASAP. otherwise, i have heard of stolen pots, it does happen. sorry again. what i have been doing is setting mine, then just hang around within sight of my pots, but far away. i'll do a little jigging for an hour and keep an eye on them. then actually pull them after 1-1 1/2 hours and see how i'm doing. (you'd be surprised how many keepers you can get in 1 1/2 hours with fresh bait). I suspect some people will watch you drop them and as soon as you "take off", they nab them right away, thinking you won't be back for awhile. But don't rule out currents....good luck in the future....
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:59 pm

It happens. For whatever reason, the guys who steal crab often like to cover their tracks by taking pots and dumping em in deep deep water, thus bringing them all the way down to deep water and your float down too. There goes your setup. How is a missing pot less suspicious then a pot with little/no crab? I don't know, but crooks sure ain't smart, and that's there philosophy.

But some folks are after traps/pots too. To get a crab pot/trap setup, it'll cost the pocket at least $60, sometimes over $100, so there is a good amount of value in those things.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:52 am

yeah, we dropped the pots on Saturday morning. Came back to check them after a few hours and couldn't find them. It made no sence because the tide was LOWER than before. After all the searching Saturday, we did go back out Sunday Morning. Figured it was worth a try. No luck.
Missing pots are definetly NOT less suspicious than empty pots, but I'll tell ya this. I'd definetly rather have my pots picked...right now I'm thinking they can Have my crab, but leave me my traps so I can get some too!
Anyway, thanks for the posts guys, advice taken for sure.

See ya out there

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:05 am

Sorry to hear you lost your gear.
Its possible the current took them out but I find it unlikely that it would have taken all the pots.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 am

Card that will be found in my pots:

"Feel free to steal the crab in this pot. Just be kind and rebait"

E

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:19 pm

It happens in alot of crabbing areas.I use to crab off Bainbridge but lost pots so I moved to 8.2 instead.My pots have been emptied more then once.The currents get some but not that many.I watched these guys in a Glaply stay right with their pots at all times.They talk or bring a book.Sometimes I put my pots in and just wait it on shore infront of where Im potting it at.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Card that will be found in my pots:

E
Sounds good to me!!
On another note I called the WDFW today to reprot lost gear (apparently you can get a ticket for not reporting it) just incase it was the current. What a joke that was. The lady didn't understand what i was talking about when I told her I was in area 8-2, and didn't really care. She said they have a list of people that report their gear missing, and if you are on the list, they try to get it back to you, if you don't call to get on the list and they find it.....basically too bad.

Obviously I'm new, but do they really fine/ticket people that lost their pots?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:15 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Card that will be found in my pots:

E
Or:
"I'm watching you through a scope of a 30-06 up on shore. Put my pot back and don't show up here again"

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Maybe someone should invent a way to use an exploding dye pack like they use for bankrobbers.
Catch them redhanded.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:33 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:Maybe someone should invent a way to use an exploding dye pack like they use for bankrobbers.
Catch them redhanded.
I like this idea :cheers:

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:Maybe someone should invent a way to use an exploding dye pack like they use for bankrobbers.
Catch them redhanded.
Or:
"I'm watching you through a scope of a 30-06 up on shore. Put my pot back and don't show up here again"

very funny.sad that we should have to think about this but true.
stan:viking:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:54 pm

:thumbdown not cool... i just heard today about someone that dropped their pots this morning and came back this evening and they were gone felt bad for the guy. ppl gut alot of guts
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:00 pm

christopherbeebe wrote::thumbdown not cool... i just heard today about someone that dropped their pots this morning and came back this evening and they were gone felt bad for the guy. ppl gut alot of guts
Anyone ever catch, or know someone who's caught someone pulling their pots?

sunshine
Petty Officer

Post by sunshine » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote: Anyone ever catch, or know someone who's caught someone pulling their pots?
That's what I'd like to know. What is the right way to handle it? I know what I'd LIKE to do :rambo:

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:48 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
christopherbeebe wrote::thumbdown not cool... i just heard today about someone that dropped their pots this morning and came back this evening and they were gone felt bad for the guy. ppl gut alot of guts
Anyone ever catch, or know someone who's caught someone pulling their pots?
not that i know of, but he was so pissed that he said that he's gonna go do the same thing to someone else's pots, so ppl in area 11 watch your pots.:bounce:
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:18 am

I have written previously about stolen crab gear including my own twice - several years ago. Recently, we have had some of our pots picked but not stolen. I have also mentioned that if we catch anyone picking our pots, We (the majority of folks on our boat are cops, and we are armed) will likely be contacting the crook to ID him or them and we will mail them their criminal citations. If they are jerks or want to obstruct us, we will call for an Everett Police Marine Unit, WDFW, or USCG to see if we can get someone to respond and take custody of them and their boat for us. Or we will order them back to the Marina and will have EPD meet us there for booking. I'm tired of it!

As I have said before, I don't recommend confronting people if you are not prepared for the task. We are experienced cops and have the training, and tools to do it effectively and with relative safety. It's not worth it to confront someone and have it go bad on you if you aren't ready for all that can go wrong. Just my opinion.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 am

Good point Dave, You never know who has a gun on them or if they will do something stupid and put you or your passengers in danger.

Its hard to just take the kick in the gut and suck it up when you get ripped off.

Be carefull out there.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

sunshine wrote:I would love to report a great catch in 8-2....the problem is my crab post are GONE!#-o
We dropped em, and jetted out to do some fishing. Turns out there is a REASON people watch their pots. Either the current got em, and they are somewhere out there under the water OR, someone has 4 nice NEW crab pots. Needless to say....very dissapointing weekend. I have heard of people getting their pots picked, but flat out stolen? Does this really happen? I find it hard to believe that the current stole my pots.....especially considering the amout of people crabbing in that area.
Has anyone heard of this happening?
You may want to go back and look for your pots at low slack. Sometimes the pots will not move but the buoy will be pulled under by the current. They may show themselves on low slack. Just a thought.