Panhandle Pike

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jesper
Petty Officer

RE:Panhandle Pike

Post by Jesper » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:16 am

Well, no pike this year either. We went to the south end of LCD'A, but the ramp was flooded, and we could not get out there. Tried from shore, but no bites, plus it was wet and windy. We tried two other docks on the southern end, and while we got out on both, it was just too cold to fish, especially since we got zero bites. Tried jig, worm, crank bait. We then drove up to Hayden Lake. Since it's protected from the winds it wasen't really cold, just rainy. Tried several spots there, but only caught a bunch of small perch, sunfish and one bass. I think it might be a tad too early for crappies or pikes yet.
"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry Ford

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 am

Jesper wrote:Well, no pike this year either. We went to the south end of LCD'A, but the ramp was flooded, and we could not get out there. Tried from shore, but no bites, plus it was wet and windy. We tried two other docks on the southern end, and while we got out on both, it was just too cold to fish, especially since we got zero bites. Tried jig, worm, crank bait. We then drove up to Hayden Lake. Since it's protected from the winds it wasen't really cold, just rainy. Tried several spots there, but only caught a bunch of small perch, sunfish and one bass. I think it might be a tad too early for crappies or pikes yet.
That kinda sucks. I'll be over here in just a few weeks....hopfully the waters and pike bite will have improved.
Thanks for the info:salut:

Jesper
Petty Officer

Post by Jesper » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:48 am

The conditions should improve, but if the weather is too nasty when you go there I can recomend Hayden Lake. It's stunning, and the docks are very nice. I did not go to the one mentioned by TroutCowboy, but there's another public area up at the north end of the lake. If you google map Hayden Lake it shows you how to get there. Just take Lancaster Rd. and follow it until you get to Sportmans Access.
"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry Ford

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 am

Jesper wrote:The conditions should improve, but if the weather is too nasty when you go there I can recomend Hayden Lake. It's stunning, and the docks are very nice. I did not go to the one mentioned by TroutCowboy, but there's another public area up at the north end of the lake. If you google map Hayden Lake it shows you how to get there. Just take Lancaster Rd. and follow it until you get to Sportmans Access.
Thanks,I'm familiar with the area but when it comes to wetting the line.Well..thus far its CD'A only.That will change on this trip. I want to hit some other pike waters and see what they offer.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm

First off,I would like to thank you guys for your time and help.Its much appreciated and I owe you fellas a couple rounds of drinks.
We're headed out next week but I'm changing gears....just a little. I will be primarily fishing the southern end of the lake as oppose to my comfort zone of the north. I'm also planning on hitting Killarney and was thinking about camping a night or 2 there.Does anyone know the name of the campground there and is it semi-decent?
What lures are hot as of now?(in any of the pike lakes)I'm bringing my arsenol but I may need to add or pull some baits from the tacklebox.
I'll try to catch some monsters but I'm also intentionally targeting "Hammer Handles" their tough fighters and I'm want my son to catch his first northern.
Thanks again......YOU GUYS ROCK!!!:dj: :cheers: :salut:

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Are you out at CdA now kb?? or just returned? How was it? I have to make a surprise trip to Missoula MT next week, and damn....i have to drive right over CdA. I was by there in late may and wanted to fish it, but it was WAY high.

so two questions: 1) the fishing?? 2) the camping??

i will also look to be camping, and possibly renting a small boat if i can find any resort that does so. Any input??

Plus, i'm still in for the "Piker's Delight" fishing trip.....:cheers:
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:Are you out at CdA now kb?? or just returned? How was it? I have to make a surprise trip to Missoula MT next week, and damn....i have to drive right over CdA. I was by there in late may and wanted to fish it, but it was WAY high.

i will also look to be camping, and possibly renting a small boat if i can find any resort that does so. Any input??

Do to some recent events,we've had to push it back.
Lucius is heading over to Pend Oreille River as we speak(if I didn't have all this stuff going on)I'd be planning on catching pike this evening. Oh well,I'll give the northerns a few extra weeks to get a little bigger.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:58 pm

bummer about the trip. that's alright though, warm august evenings can turn them ESOX on in a heartbeat. (maybe pushing it back will be for the best)

I'll give an update here when i get back....:bounce:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:23 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:Are you out at CdA now kb?? or just returned? How was it? I have to make a surprise trip to Missoula MT next week, and damn....i have to drive right over CdA. I was by there in late may and wanted to fish it, but it was WAY high.

I'll get back to you soon in regards to campsites....but I can't comment from personal experience.I've always stayed at a friends house but my wife and I both have wanted to camp as well,so we've been looking.I have to find my list of spots.

ProAngler'sDaughter
Petty Officer

Post by ProAngler'sDaughter » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Not to get off the subject of Pike, but I've heard that Payette Lake in Idaho has Tigers. Can anyone confirm? We are heading over the McCall Idaho the first weekend in September...so...:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Thanks for any input.

PAD :fish:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:35 pm

ProAngler'sDaughter wrote:Not to get off the subject of Pike, but I've heard that Payette Lake in Idaho has Tigers. Can anyone confirm? We are heading over the McCall Idaho the first weekend in September...so...:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Thanks for any input.

PAD :fish:
I couldn't find anything on this lake,that doesn't mean it they're not there.
However,Idaho has tons of tiger muskie lakes.Alot more than we do.
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:20 am

It would be great it we refrain from PM and post here instead this way it gives us all a chance to get a piece of the action. I have never caugt a pike/musky before. Would love to well I will keep update date with this thread.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:10 pm

On my way through, tried lake CdA on 8-6 (wed.) and 8-11 (today). Was out both days in the afternoon. Due to certain circumstances, the boat was not with me, so I was landlocked, but had to try anyway. Nothing. Just little 4 in. trout trying to catch my pike lures. It was really only a 50% effort both days, but stayed mainly on the far north east side of the lake (wolf lodge bay). No action with the spinners and rapalas. water was at a normal level and it was absolutely beautiful weather-wise both days. saw an old timer nailing trout mid-day right out in front of the boat launch with one of those "7 spinner things" on a small DR, I'd say he was about 20-30ft down....:-$ .

I'll definitely have the boat the next time....it's just not the same.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Played hookie today (did I mention my wife and I finally came up with a name for our boat? "Sick Day") and fished all over north Lake CD'A. Absolutely beautiful day. It was in the low 90's but there was a nice breeze and nice 74 degree water to dip into.

I fished Echo Bay, Squaw Bay and Mica Bay and nearly hit for the cycle: 1 bass, 1 crappie, 1 perch, and 1 pike! Came up short by a trout.

Now I have to go tease the wife for not goobering me up with sunscreen low enough on my back -- I have a sunburn right above my belt line and I have a 5hr road trip tomorrow. Youch!
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 pm

weapon of choice for the pike TC??? oh yeah..."sick day"....clever...i like it..
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 pm

=d> Way to go!!!. I'm going insane for some pike action. Nice work, I like the boat name.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:50 pm

This guy I got on a green curly-tailed grub on a jig. I anchored right on the outer edge of a wed bed and worked the jig thru the depths and he hit it full blast. About tore my fingers off trying to unhook him too! Savages, all of 'em!!

Normally the go-to lure for me is my rattle bait (BB's inside) in brown/green/yellow with blood spots and red trebles on it. Twitchy retrieve above the weed beds.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:52 pm

TroutCowboy wrote:This guy I got on a green curly-tailed grub on a jig. I anchored right on the outer edge of a wed bed and worked the jig thru the depths and he hit it full blast. About tore my fingers off trying to unhook him too! Savages, all of 'em!!

Normally the go-to lure for me is my rattle bait (BB's inside) in brown/green/yellow with blood spots and red trebles on it. Twitchy retrieve above the weed beds.
Great info,thank you
You should stuff this photo into the pike pics in the muskie forum,....so I can drool more:-$

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:53 pm

thanks TroutCowboy...great information. How often do you fish CdA?? ( i swear i didn't copy you kevinb, you just type faster than me)
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:thanks TroutCowboy...great information. How often do you fish CdA?? ( i swear i didn't copy you kevinb, you just type faster than me)
haha....I smoke crack. Its strictly for medical purposes.:-$

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”