Cabelas

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AaronE
Commander

RE:Cabelas

Post by AaronE » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:27 am

noclothes1 wrote: The thing I noticed was that there was several hundred people in the store, but only 3 checkouts open, and no lines. I think more people are looking than buying.
People's eyes are often bigger than their wallets....
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:28 am

I took the family on a day trip to portland awhile back and had to make a stop at cabelas. I was impressed. Of course some things were cheaper, and some more expensive, but thats how all stores are. You have to be a savy customer, or at least know what things cost elsewhere and try to negotiate a better price for yourself. What drew me to the store that day was the fact the fishfinder I wanted was only carried by 2 stores in the seattle area. One store was out of stock, and Cabelas had them, and at the same price as other online stores. The fact they had other things for the family to look at made it easier on me to do my shopping. I could have spent hours in that store.

So for me I will keep that store in my list when it comes time to shop for certain items. If I'm just looking for a set of hooks or a few extra drop shots I'll stick to my local stores. If I'm shopping for a trolling motor or a new boat I will definatly give them a call and include them in my price search. Large chains seem to have more flexibility in price matching/ beating. Think guitar center. You just have to know how to work the system.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Good points Gian !!
aka Powerworm

Salmon, Trout, Steelheader
Petty Officer

Post by Salmon, Trout, Steelheader » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 pm

waste of time imo. not going to think about spending the $ in gas to go down there, i would way rather go to sportsmans than crapbelas any day.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:00 pm

well i did a job down there about 3months ago...and i thought why not pop in...first impressions were wow...i ended up just buying a hat...lol.. didnt really have anything i wanted in there even the wife couldnt believe i said that when i got home.... i prefer local stores myself, although i did just save 120bucks on a quantim pt reel (it is on back order). online is way better deals than in there store.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm

Stopped by Cabelas on the way to battleground early Thursday morning,..it is kinda stupid having to circle around so many times before you finally reach the home stretch,..Cabelas is very nice,..the kids loved it and so did the adults,..some nice Bass, Bows and Catfish in the Aquarium,..kids fed the Bows and we all had fun,..picked up some Bass gear and my free hat and we were out,...nice store!
Attachments
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_007_Small.jpg
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_007_Small.jpg (60.29 KiB) Viewed 1884 times
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_013_Small.jpg
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_013_Small.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_015_Small.jpg
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_015_Small.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_020_Small.jpg
Camping__Battleground_Lake_2008_020_Small.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
"Passion-4-Bassin"

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm

I think its the only fishing store I went to, and didn't spend a dime. But its nice to go check out the aquarium if you are in the area. Nice pics BB !
aka Powerworm

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:37 pm

LOL,..thanks Chris,..how was your weekend dude,..hit me up!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Ditch Pickler
Lieutenant

Post by Ditch Pickler » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Cabelas fishing section isnt the greatest. As for their swimbaits they have 2 worth anything at the lacey store. Spro BBZ and Trutungsten swimbait. Other than that the selections there really blows, unless your into small plastics that will catch you 1lb's all day.

I have a $150 merchandise card for cabelas that i will be spending soon to get my new fish finder....
My only enemy is my inner me -Lupe Fiasco

You can take the angler out the Hood,but you can't take the Hood out the angler! -basstradamus

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 pm

[i thought why not pop in...first impressions were wow...i ended up just buying a hat...lol.. didnt really have anything i wanted in there even the wife couldnt believe i said that when i got home.... i prefer local stores myself, although i did just save 120bucks on a quantim pt reel (it is on back order). online is way better deals than in there store. [/quote]

my wife said the same thing all you bought was a hat!
stan.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:13 pm

I like the one over in Post Falls, ID (closest one to use Easterners).......how do you get a free hat????
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:52 pm

Filled out an app for a credit card,..lol
"Passion-4-Bassin"

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:

I will say this, if you are nearby or are driving by, it's worth stopping by, but not worth spending money. I now put almost all of my money to local tackle shops, and will continue to do so for obvious reasons. I like being able to go in, find everything I need and have great local knowledge and be assured that the sales associates are giving good info, not regurgitated second hand stuff they read on the internet or are BS'ing so they can get through the conversation. Happens all too often at the bigger (chain) stores...
Well said, well said...

With the rise of the megastore, communities now spend their hard earned money, and it is shipped off, increasing the shareholders pocketbooks, not re-invested in the community.

ALWAYS support the local shops if you can. I would rather pay more at a local shop than save a few cents at the conglomerate. Call me crazy.

Brianh
Petty Officer

Post by Brianh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:44 am

I agree with spending the money locally...Take 3 Rivers or Auburn Sports and Marine. You can ask the guys what is working on the local lakes, and they will tell you. They have the baits that work for the area, and not a bait that is ordered by corporate managers in BFE.....Plus, we reap the benefits of sponsorship for local fisherman as well as local tournaments. The big guys do employ local workers and all, but the personality of the local tackle stores is what I like.
Brianh
Panic Minnows
"Rain or Shine, I'm going fishin"

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:48 am

I agree with Brian .. supporting the local tackle stores also helps ensure the foundation of community holds its ground. As we all know as of late and with todays society our communities do not seem anywhere as strong as it was in years past. That is one of the pieces that I do enjoy with this forum is that strong feeling of a community and the binding freindship that I have also seen in the post I have read. I look forward in building those same freindships and enjoying the benefits of a strong community. Okay ... stops with my ramblings.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:59 am

My family had fun going to Cabelas and looking around but its still not worth the drive considering what we have locally. I orderd some Berkley Micro Glitter Eggs from Bass Pro and they sent me the wrong stuff, it took 2 weeks to convince them they sent me the wrong product and it was only after I ordered it straight from Berkley and sent them a photo of the proper item did they admit they stocked it wrong... they still never gave me a refund.

Shop Local, support your community.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Good posts. I have been spending more money at Auburn Sports lately, and they do stock whats catching fish I will admit that !
aka Powerworm

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Most of my "serious-gear" I'll get from either Outdoor Emporium on 4th South or Joes in Kent and soon in Renton{I think the Renton store is open now} but if I need little things like hooks,..line,..etc,..Walmart takes care of my needs,..picked up some D-Shot items at Joes yesterday for my trip 2 Potholes just in case,..hoping Top Water action is on over there,..we'll see,..as far as Cabelas goes,..I'll only stop in if I'm in the area,..other than that it's all local for me,..I definately like the fact that Cabelas focuses on the family though,..real nice! Hey Chris,..where's that shop in Auburn located? LMK

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:24 pm

BrownBomber wrote:Hey Chris,..where's that shop in Auburn located? LMK

BB
Auburn Way by the Fred Meyer.
http://www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com/
aka Powerworm

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks Chris,..your the man dude! Hey,..any tips for Mardon,..get at me! Leaving Sat AM,..thanks bruddah!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"