Fish Lake (Near L. Wenatchee)

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Fish Lake (Near L. Wenatchee)

Post by Mr. Magler » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:39 pm

It seems everyone goes to Fish Lake for the monster trout, but I've read fishing books that say there are smallmouth and largemouth bass in there. Anyone ever had any luck bass fishing this lake?
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

gpc
Admiral

RE:Fish Lake (Near L. Wenatchee)

Post by gpc » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:16 pm

There is a lot to offer from this lake. Like you mentioned the monster trout, trips, brown and huge bows. The is a very healthy population of bass as well. Not to mention the awsome perch fishery at this lake. It is also great for ice fishing. They have a webpage that shows some real lunker bass on it. There is alot of cover all around the lake. The last time I was there it was a little early in the season, so all the snow hadnt melted yet and I imagine the lake gets a little fuller this time of year. But around the whole lake there was almost flats. Full of good bass cover, we were just kicking off with the oar casting jigs for 10" perch after 10" perch. Deffenitly worth checking out. The name of the resort is the cove, I dont know what the website name is, but the cove at fish lake is a start.

Kelcey
Petty Officer

Post by Kelcey » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:25 pm

Lots of bugs!!!!! so be sure to have repelant of some form! And we have stayed at the cove for years, the owners just seem to get a little less friendly every year... who knows tho, maybe they were just having a few bad days. My dad bass fishes while we are there.
Good luck fishing if you go!

bhuynh
Angler

Post by bhuynh » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:06 pm

ya, from the launch in the cove resort, u just go into the bay to the left around the point. theres weeds and lilies everywhere, toss something in there and see what u find. i personally wouldnt go for the bass though, that lake is one of my personal favorites for trout

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:25 pm

i don't see any pics of bass on their website gpc...

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:44 pm

I grew up 15 miles north of Fish lake and spent many days there. There are a few bass there, planted by bucket biologist, and I me a few, like not worth your time. It used to be a great perch fishery but that has declined. Call the Cove Resort, they are pretty friendly and fairly honest on how the fishing is. I won't drive over there just looking for bass at $3.25 a gallon.

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:16 am

I found the State did a Warm Water study on Fish Lake in 2002. The elecroshocked the lake and found a total of 7 bass, 411 perch, 450 rainbow, 48 sqawfish. So there is bass there just not many.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/warmwater/library/fpt05-11.pdf

Interesting side note: the state was putting bass in Fish Lake during the 1930's

The WDFW has stocked Fish Lake since 1936. Initially, WDFW stocked largemouth bass
Micropterus salmoides, channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus, as well as rainbow Oncorhyncus
mykiss, brook Salvelinus fontinalis and cutthroat trout O clarki. Black bass have not been
stocked in Fish Lake since 1937, and brook trout have not been stocked since 1990. Any bass
now found in Fish Lake are likely the result of illegal stocking. Currently, WDFW stocks Fish
Lake with rainbow, cutthroat, and brown trout Salmo trutta (Table 1).

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:26 pm

7 bass huh......that sounds like a challenge Mr. Magler. Are you up for it?:cheers:

Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Post by Mr. Magler » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for the info jmay. It doesn't sound like it's worth bassin' there. I'm actually going with some work buddies for the fishing derby. We are planning to target trout, but I thought it might be fun to bring a big bass to the weigh-in just to stir things up a bit! Guess I'll actually have to trout fish for once.......:-({|=
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Mr. Magler,
You know you're gonna throw for some bass while you're there. Ya gots ta!

Anyone else agree with me when I say CK14 has the sickest avatar picture out of all the members on this site? :bom:

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Edgeran wrote: Anyone else agree with me when I say CK14 has the sickest avatar picture out of all the members on this site? :bom:
Edgeran, you trying to get some free tips by :-" :-" :-" ? But yes, I agree.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Mr. Magler
Petty Officer

Post by Mr. Magler » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:43 pm

You're right - I can't resist a challenge! We'll have to make a friendly bet: If I catch a largie there, then you owe me a high five. Anyone else want to take me up on this once-in-a-lifetime offer?

Yes, CK14 for president....although yours ain't too shabby either, Edge. That fish has to weigh at least 8lbs! (J/K)
Wishin' I was fishin',

Mr. Magler

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:03 pm

thanks guys, it is a great picture! :cheers:

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:03 pm

I have fished for bass there over three years of camping...only caught one, about 5 inches long! Wish I would have known there was so few of them there. Also, the bugs were pretty bad this year.

Clam Man
Clam Man

"____________"

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:12 pm

The BUGS are Great!!! They are 206 253 and 360er's repellant. :-$ The skitters and very bad until the end of June and then the horse flys come on pretty heavy in July. September is the best month of the year in the Upper Valley but don't tell anyone that